The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
P90 + fender twin = post punk
Old 1st August 2020
Here for the gear

P90 + fender twin = post punk

Hey guys!
Need some advice. I have this custom made telecaster deluxe that is very sweet. Sadly, the bridge pickup is a dimarzio tone zone, that kinda sucks with my fender twin.

I want to equip it with a p90 or humbucker to achieve a big, shimmering crunch and play post-punk. I want something that matches well with a fender twin reverb and a boss OD1. Just to be clear, i want the sound of Protomartyr and play loud crunchy chords with lots of drones.

Any suggestion for the right pickup for the job?
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Guru

Maybe a PAF type? Some of the ones I like are Gibson Burstbucker (bassy, with a crunch to it), Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (more balanced, brighter), Dimarzio PAF Pro (very clear articulation).

I don't know what sound you're going for at all but a lot of people seem to put those classic-style humbuckers in their teles, in general

You could also go for a TV Jones filter-tron for a different kind of tone
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Maybe a PAF type? Some of the ones I like are Gibson Burstbucker (bassy, with a crunch to it), Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (more balanced, brighter), Dimarzio PAF Pro (very clear articulation).

I don't know what sound you're going for at all but a lot of people seem to put those classic-style humbuckers in their teles, in general

You could also go for a TV Jones filter-tron for a different kind of tone
Well thank yoy for the articulated response! I'm clearly looking forward to listen to the pups you have cited. The sound i'm looking for is the kind of sound you can hear in modern business hymns or half sister from protomartyr. I suspect that the guitarist uses a tele deluxe and a twin reverb, don't know the pedal.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKilgore View Post
Well thank yoy for the articulated response! I'm clearly looking forward to listen to the pups you have cited. The sound i'm looking for is the kind of sound you can hear in modern business hymns or half sister from protomartyr. I suspect that the guitarist uses a tele deluxe and a twin reverb, don't know the pedal.
If you're talking about the old style '70s teles with the "wide range" humbuckers those were designed by Seth Lover (the original designer of the PAF) after he got fed up with Gibson, and went to Fender.

So the PAF style would be in the same family as those old teles, more or less. Just a smaller footprint (size) and probably a slightly different sound.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys!
Need some advice. I have this custom made telecaster deluxe that is very sweet. Sadly, the bridge pickup is a dimarzio tone zone, that kinda sucks with my fender twin.

I want to equip it with a p90 or humbucker to achieve a big, shimmering crunch and play post-punk. I want something that matches well with a fender twin reverb and a boss OD1. Just to be clear, i want the sound of Protomartyr and play loud crunchy chords with lots of drones.

Any suggestion for the right pickup for the job?
Any lower output pickup should work. And a clean amp. Your sound is in the pedals
For single coils I like Lollar, Fralin, Amalfitano, Klein, Mare and David Allen. Creamery makes some pikups for that sound (https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/c...humbucker.html, https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/y...ternative.html)
For H-Buckers - anything around the PAF impedance - too many to mention and as the pedals will change it anyway - most decent brands will do.
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

OK guys first of all thank everyone for the nice answers.

I will add a little factor to the equation. OK, i'm going with a wide range/PAF. Is there a brand/model with a good quality/price factor? The fender wide range are near 110€. I've round some brand on amazon that are about 50€. I don't want to spend top much on this project, bit i also would like something usable. The top wuold be some used stuff, but they are difficult to find
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK guys first of all thank everyone for the nice answers.

I will add a little factor to the equation. OK, i'm going with a wide range/PAF. Is there a brand/model with a good quality/price factor? The fender wide range are near 110€. I've round some brand on amazon that are about 50€. I don't want to spend top much on this project, bit i also would like something usable. The top wuold be some used stuff, but they are difficult to find
Went through that 6 months ago. The best for money i found were
https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/c...l#.Xyfo6CgzaUk
There are more expensive ones out there but these give you a superb sound for any $. I have a '72 tele (original, had it for 41 years) with the original fenders and these outperform them every time. The only other ones i didn't mind were Lollar, but for a lot more $
Fender WR are absolute rubbish.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear