The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording with Kemper (pedals/stereo fx?)
Old 1st August 2020
Gear Head

Question Recording with Kemper (pedals/stereo fx?)

Hi everybody,

I am a producer/songwriter and recently started to take my guitar learning and recording more seriously.

I've bought a Kemper Profiler (toaster) last year and I am incredibly happy about the purchase. But, there is something very intriguing about buying outboard pedals for like distortion, reverb, modulation etc etc. I must say that I'm not a 100% fan of the distortion pedals in the Kemper. Also the world of pedals is sooo much bigger than the 'pedals' that Kemper is offering.

I haven't bought any pedals though, yet, because I've got a pretty specific question, regarding recording guitars with a Kemper.

The kemper let's you use mono fx pedals in front of the Amp section. After the amp it offers a couple more slots for Stereo FX.

This is where I'm asking myself; if you want to use a nice chorus or reverb, don't you want this to be Stereo? In other words, are you limited to using Kemper Fx only? Because you cannot run a Stereo signal into the Kemper.

As a producer I prefer stereo reverb, delay, chorus etc.. but, I feel like a lotttt of guitar players are running his/her pedals in mono, as I don't see a stereo amp setups that often.

But does that mean that guitars are often recorded with Mono FX instead of Stereo FX?

Or is this a live/studio type of difference?

Aynway, any insights/thoughts about this are very welcome
📝 Reply