The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PRS Custom or McCarty
Old 31st July 2020
Here for the gear

PRS Custom or McCarty

Hello,

I am ready to purchase a new guitar. I play blues almost excLusively. I have settle on a PRS. Either a core 22 or 24. Now comes the McCarty issues. I play through a Helix and my question is does one of these guitars benefit me more that another.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear
I think nowadays Customs come with tremolo bridges only, right? That would be my first question: do you want a tremolo or a fixed bridge? To me that's a more "fundamental" difference than body thickness, pickups or switching, so, which one do you prefer? "Blues" is very broad and has been played with everything from Teles to Strats to LPs to etc etc... What's your style, influences, guitarists whose sound you like / is in your ballpark?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlapp View Post
Hello,

I am ready to purchase a new guitar. I play blues almost excLusively. I have settle on a PRS. Either a core 22 or 24. Now comes the McCarty issues. I play through a Helix and my question is does one of these guitars benefit me more that another.
Gibson CS Les Paul
But if you have to, I much prefer my McCarthy to my 3 Customs. You may still change the pickups - I hate PRS pickups
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
I hate PRS pickups
All of them? I've lost track of what they've done in the last decade, but the 57/08 in my MEII are stellar and so were the Dragon Is in my first CE22. Funny story: my second and current CE22 is a limited edition (I think only available in Europe back in '08) that came with 57/08s, and they were unbearably shrill in that guitar (known to be very bright). I replaced them with Bare Knuckle Crawlers (really nice) and gave them to my bandmate to try in his SG, where he had tried many things and nothing clicked until these, which, wow. I think it's the only guitar where he hasn't touched the pickups in years. The Dragon IIs in my Custom 22 are kind of blah, yes. Apparently the current McCarty comes with 58/15s and the Customs with 85/15s, have you tried those?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
All of them? I've lost track of what they've done in the last decade, but the 57/08 in my MEII are stellar and so were the Dragon Is in my first CE22. Funny story: my second and current CE22 is a limited edition (I think only available in Europe back in '08) that came with 57/08s, and they were unbearably shrill in that guitar (known to be very bright). I replaced them with Bare Knuckle Crawlers (really nice) and gave them to my bandmate to try in his SG, where he had tried many things and nothing clicked until these, which, wow. I think it's the only guitar where he hasn't touched the pickups in years. The Dragon IIs in my Custom 22 are kind of blah, yes. Apparently the current McCarty comes with 58/15s and the Customs with 85/15s, have you tried those?
I had experience with most PRS pickups made in the last 25 years. Clients would bring the PRS guitars in all the time. They would always pick my PRS's over theirs. And then harass me for giving them the names of the pickups in mine.
One of my customs has a BK Mule set in them. Not bad.
The last McCarthy I dealt with was made in 2018/19. Meh.
📝 Reply