The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the tonal character of one speaker amp different than a two speaker amp?
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Addict

I have a Marshall 2x12 open-back combo from years back ... sound alone good, but it's built-in chorus is better than many pedals because of the twin speakers. In its day that was a real attraction for me.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quick thought - unless the 2x12 Katana has a JC120 setting for the 2x12 that does a true stereo chorus, tonally each speaker should sound the same as a 1x12 - this isn't a wedge cabinet like the Watkins. But, there's no rule that a 2x12 or 4x12 has to have matched speakers, and then you can mix and match to get different sounds from a multiple speaker cab or combo.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Quick thought - unless the 2x12 Katana has a JC120 setting for the 2x12 that does a true stereo chorus, tonally each speaker should sound the same as a 1x12 - this isn't a wedge cabinet like the Watkins. But, there's no rule that a 2x12 or 4x12 has to have matched speakers, and then you can mix and match to get different sounds from a multiple speaker cab or combo.
The Katanas have an option for stereo linking on the MK II versions, but you have to buy two amps to get the stereo FX. The power amps are mono in these.

The 4x12 I'm working on now is going to have a mix of Texas Heats and Classic Lead 80's. I have no idea if it's going to sound good or bad but I'm just going for it. I guess I could add a stereo switch to split them, hadn't really considered that. It would be fun to hear one or the other isolated.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
The Katanas have an option for stereo linking on the MK II versions, but you have to buy two amps to get the stereo FX. The power amps are mono in these.

The 4x12 I'm working on now is going to have a mix of Texas Heats and Classic Lead 80's. I have no idea if it's going to sound good or bad but I'm just going for it. I guess I could add a stereo switch to split them, hadn't really considered that. It would be fun to hear one or the other isolated.
Stereo operation or Wet/Dry operation allows/causes the slightly different waveforms to mix and interact in the air instead of "in the wires" for a much more dramatic effect.

There is usually substantial difference, especially in closed back cabs, when mixing speaker types. Mesa had a novel and quite effective approach to this by building a separator "false bottom" to separate the top 2 x 12s (Celestions) from the bottom 2 x 12s (used to be EVMs), which also allows the top back section to be removed for a mix of closed back and open back... really sweet.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Stereo operation or Wet/Dry operation allows/causes the slightly different waveforms to mix and interact in the air instead of "in the wires" for a much more dramatic effect.

There is usually substantial difference, especially in closed back cabs, when mixing speaker types. Mesa had a novel and quite effective approach to this by building a separator "false bottom" to separate the top 2 x 12s (Celestions) from the bottom 2 x 12s (used to be EVMs), which also allows the top back section to be removed for a mix of closed back and open back... really sweet.
Thanks for the insight. I have heard some pretty amazing acoustic mixes of speakers and effects. I guess it's that thing where you have to be standing in the right place or something.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the cabinet, probably just a simple X pattern for now. But I could think about adding a chamber, that's a great idea.
📝 Reply