The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Planning my first pedalboard: Help pls
Old 29th July 2020
  #1
Planning my first pedalboard: Help pls

I’m planning to build my first pedalboard and I’ve been using the “pedalboard planer-app”. I don’t seem to find the right pedaltrain as they are either too small or too big. And I have no idea where to put each pedal..

My Boss effect pedal is so big that it gives me problems arranging the board. Also, I couldn’t find my power supply in the app so I had to just use a random one. The power supply I’m gonna use is Truetone 1spot Pro CS12.

Hope some of you experienced guru’s can help a virgin
Attached Thumbnails
Planning my first pedalboard: Help pls-6fc39291-d411-4522-9f4c-9679e615388b.jpg  
Old 29th July 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticXII View Post
I’m planning to build my first pedalboard and I’ve been using the “pedalboard planer-app”. I don’t seem to find the right pedaltrain as they are either too small or too big. And I have no idea where to put each pedal..

My Boss effect pedal is so big that it gives me problems arranging the board. Also, I couldn’t find my power supply in the app so I had to just use a random one. The power supply I’m gonna use is Truetone 1spot Pro CS12.

Hope some of you experienced guru’s can help a virgin
When you are planning these things using the apps, spare space for your cables... Your pedals are too close together in the pic.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 29th July 2020
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Janne19691's Avatar
I think larger pedaltrains allow you to install the power supply underneath the pedal board.

This is how I would do it: First I would determine the order of the pedals (it's often a personal thing but there are some guidelines). Then start to position them mostly in that order so that the cables can be kept relatively short. Also some pedals you want keep in the front row like volume, wah, expression pedal and whammy pedal (feet balance point of view) etc. Lastly if possible, some other pedals you need to access most often should be easily accessible.

And when you get new pedals later you may have to do some thinking again
Old 29th July 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
Lay out your pedals on the ground or a sheet of construction paper/cardboard where you think the layout makes sense. Allow space for cables as was noted - you can't get 3 rows of pedals that close with the top jacks of the boss and Eventide units on that board.

By laying out out hooked up, you can see what pedals are within reach, and which are harder to activate. You may find having the Boss pedals on the top and the dirt, noise and tuner pedals on the bottom allows for easier access. I know for my feet, I wouldn't be able to activate the TS9 or Metalzone the way you have them positioned, but that's something you have to figure out.

But you're going to need a bigger board than this one, and while I don't know about your power supply, there are plenty that fit underneath Pedaltrain boards, or Temple Audio boards.

Do you own all of these pedals already?
Old 29th July 2020
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Lay out your pedals on the ground or a sheet of construction paper/cardboard where you think the layout makes sense. Allow space for cables as was noted - you can't get 3 rows of pedals that close with the top jacks of the boss and Eventide units on that board.

By laying out out hooked up, you can see what pedals are within reach, and which are harder to activate. You may find having the Boss pedals on the top and the dirt, noise and tuner pedals on the bottom allows for easier access. I know for my feet, I wouldn't be able to activate the TS9 or Metalzone the way you have them positioned, but that's something you have to figure out.

But you're going to need a bigger board than this one, and while I don't know about your power supply, there are plenty that fit underneath Pedaltrain boards, or Temple Audio boards.

Do you own all of these pedals already?
Thanks! That’s a good idea with the cardboard. I’ll definitely do that. Problem with a bigger pedaltrain is that the next one in size is huge. I believe it’s 42 inch. The one in the picture is 32inch. But then again I’ll have a good reason to buy more pedals I have all the pedals except the 3 Boss 500’s who I just ordered
Old 29th July 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticXII View Post
Thanks! That’s a good idea with the cardboard. I’ll definitely do that. Problem with a bigger pedaltrain is that the next one in size is huge. I believe it’s 42 inch. The one in the picture is 32inch. But then again I’ll have a good reason to buy more pedals I have all the pedals except the 3 Boss 500’s who I just ordered
Don't limit yourself to Pedaltrain - Temple Audio, Friedman, Voodoo Labs, Warwick Rockboards and others make pedalboards in different sizes so that you're not getting one too big. I had looked at Pedaltrain and for my layout it didn't work; and settled on the Temple Audio 24 x 17 board and couldn't be happier.
Old 29th July 2020
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Don't limit yourself to Pedaltrain - Temple Audio, Friedman, Voodoo Labs, Warwick Rockboards and others make pedalboards in different sizes so that you're not getting one too big. I had looked at Pedaltrain and for my layout it didn't work; and settled on the Temple Audio 24 x 17 board and couldn't be happier.
Ok I’ll check it out. Thanks again
Old 29th July 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticXII View Post
Thanks! That’s a good idea with the cardboard. I’ll definitely do that. Problem with a bigger pedaltrain is that the next one in size is huge. I believe it’s 42 inch. The one in the picture is 32inch. But then again I’ll have a good reason to buy more pedals I have all the pedals except the 3 Boss 500’s who I just ordered
Its almost a crap-shoot with any of them, I've the 32" Pedaltrain, I had to put rubber standoffs at the front for my Voodoo Labs PS to clear, then you need to figure 2 to 3 hundred in patch and midi cables.
Don't get the Gator Large Aluminum Pedalboard , I don't know WTF they were thinking, but you can't run your cables through the slots, you have to makeup cable end. loop through the slot then make other end, then the slanted slot wont allow for good placement of pedal. If you google images of the Gator, you'll notice, most everyone you see, is loaded with pedals, but look close,,, No Cables, So once you add cables, you loose 2/3 of your real estate. Been there done that, sent it back.
That goes for your power leads also, they wont go where you need them, because of the stupidazz slots..

Old 29th July 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticXII View Post
Thanks! That’s a good idea with the cardboard. I’ll definitely do that. Problem with a bigger pedaltrain is that the next one in size is huge. I believe it’s 42 inch. The one in the picture is 32inch. But then again I’ll have a good reason to buy more pedals I have all the pedals except the 3 Boss 500’s who I just ordered
I don't know how I ended up quoting you in my other post, But here's the midi cables I had to get for all my Boss 500's and Eventide H9's, and Boss es8, etc,, Just the four Boss 500's did my top row in, and you'll notice the switches are low of the board, so its one of those deals that any pedal in front of them, makes for near, no access for the 500's switches, that's partly why I had to get the Boss es8.
Anyway, here's those (Not Cheap) Midi Cables. I had to get 10 of them and my patch cables,,, I've probably around $500.00 in all.

One Control MIDI Hammer Cable

Old 30th July 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Don’t forget that you can get pedal risers to assist with harder to reach switches if some pedals need to go in the back.
Old 30th July 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
Don’t forget that you can get pedal risers to assist with harder to reach switches if some pedals need to go in the back.
Yes I know, I made one at first and it worked, but ended up being a PITA, when it came to teardown, getting the board in my flightcase.
Old 30th July 2020
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
I don't know how I ended up quoting you in my other post, But here's the midi cables I had to get for all my Boss 500's and Eventide H9's, and Boss es8, etc,, Just the four Boss 500's did my top row in, and you'll notice the switches are low of the board, so its one of those deals that any pedal in front of them, makes for near, no access for the 500's switches, that's partly why I had to get the Boss es8.
Anyway, here's those (Not Cheap) Midi Cables. I had to get 10 of them and my patch cables,,, I've probably around $500.00 in all.

One Control MIDI Hammer Cable

Thanks for the tip 500$ for midi cables? That’s insane!!😂 Do I have to use these? Or is the drop off to cheaper cables to big?
Old 30th July 2020
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticXII View Post
Thanks for the tip 500$ for midi cables? That’s insane!!😂 Do I have to use these? Or is the drop off to cheaper cables to big?
No, that's what I have in all cables, a couple of these and etc..So really I've more like $600.00, Cables aren't cheap. You can find other midi cables, I had to use these because of the jack orientation of some pedals, and with these you can open them and move the cable, plus I need the two different lengths. You might find a good deal somewhere but they're around $20.00 each.



Old 30th July 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Say away from D'Addario Planet Waves and Planet Waves, once made up, they're just too large/stiff, no flex..

Old 30th July 2020
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
Say away from D'Addario Planet Waves and Planet Waves, once made up, they're just too large/stiff, no flex..

Ok Thanks bro
Old 30th July 2020
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
If youre just starting out, and haven't started buying pedals and everything you'll need, look at something like the, line 6 helix floor. I've got 3 grand in my pedalboard, probably more, and believe me, it doesn't take long to happen. its like a runaway train. I did have some pedals, some older Digitech RP's Floor and Rack FX's, etc also, But if I had to do it again, I'd just get the line 6 helix floor or something along those lines, which I ended up doing anyway.
Old 30th July 2020
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
If youre just starting out, and haven't started buying pedals and everything you'll need, look at something like the, line 6 helix floor. I've got 3 grand in my pedalboard, probably more, and believe me, it doesn't take long to happen. its like a runaway train. I did have some pedals, some older Digitech RP's Floor and Rack FX's, etc also, But if I had to do it again, I'd just get the line 6 helix floor or something along those lines, which I ended up doing anyway.
I’m considering Voodoolabs dingbat px. Do you know anything about it?
Old 30th July 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticXII View Post
I’m considering Voodoolabs dingbat px. Do you know anything about it?
I like the switcher, those slots are whats going to be the gotcha, picture your Velcro on there, then picture your pedals, and the slots that will be covered by them, it looks like you could get two rows out of it. The deal with the slots, is it puts you in a place, that you'll have too run cables on top. See if you can find some images of one loaded and ready to go, then notice where the cables are an the pedal count. Notice if theirs any Boss 500's or Eventide H9's or Strymon, as there a larger format, and if so, how they're cabled. That pick of the Gator I posted, notice all the images of one loaded, it looks like every pedal is a new cable less/battery powered pedal,,, and there's a reason for that. You cant wire one up, without having a cluster-f**k. And they don't wont you to see that.
Not trying to sway you, just saying.

EDIT, I looked at some images, and this ones not as bad as the Gator, But there's some Gotchas.
Old 1st August 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
I like the switcher, those slots are whats going to be the gotcha, picture your Velcro on there, then picture your pedals, and the slots that will be covered by them, it looks like you could get two rows out of it. The deal with the slots, is it puts you in a place, that you'll have too run cables on top. See if you can find some images of one loaded and ready to go, then notice where the cables are an the pedal count. Notice if theirs any Boss 500's or Eventide H9's or Strymon, as there a larger format, and if so, how they're cabled. That pick of the Gator I posted, notice all the images of one loaded, it looks like every pedal is a new cable less/battery powered pedal,,, and there's a reason for that. You cant wire one up, without having a cluster-f**k. And they don't wont you to see that.
Not trying to sway you, just saying.

EDIT, I looked at some images, and this ones not as bad as the Gator, But there's some Gotchas.

Here’s my dingbat as an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning my first pedalboard: Help pls-f045091e-89db-4c41-8eb4-0b0e51bd1390.jpg  
Old 1st August 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
Nice pedals - noticing your expression and wah pedals aren't on the edge - was wondering what the reason was and how it's working for you. I'm wavering between replacing a vintage Ibanez Chorus and MXR flanger with either an H9 or a Mobius.
Old 1st August 2020
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne19691 View Post
And when you get new pedals later you always have to do some thinking again
FIFY.
Old 1st August 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
Here’s my dingbat as an example.
Most don't realize that it a pretty major under taking, to put these together.
Old 1st August 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
Most don't realize that it a pretty major under taking, to put these together.
Yes, very true. I researched every pedalboard maker years ago and none of them suited me for many reasons and so I built my own.

I think transportation is the most important aspect to consider with a pedalboard.

I worked out the dimensions at the time based on a plastic carrying case which transitioned to a Pelican case. A trip to Home Depot for trim, boards and carpet and then I built it.

My advice for anyone is to ascertain how you will transport the pedalboard. Car? Bus? Airplane? And of course how the pedalboard dimensions will handle your pedals.

The dimensions of my pedalboard is 20.5" x 14" x 2.5" which fits perfectly in a Pelican case which is fine for everything.

Look past the pedals, it's just a basic wood pedalboard.

Old 1st August 2020
  #24
Lives for gear
It can be a lot of work, but also an iterative process over time. I had pedals before 2007, but here's the earliest picture of my pedals, and a picture of the board from June. Some pedals are still there, some have been swapped, and some are no longer there.

Part of the process, and it's never done - since that picture the Phase 90 is gone, and as I mentioned looking at a Mobius or H9 to swap out for the chorus and Micro Flanger on top; if I do that, I won't need the One Control bypass loop switch and could get a mini expression pedal. But it just takes time and money.

As far as cost - Rick brings up a good point - this stuff can be expensive. But I've been good about selling gear I no longer use, and was able to sell multiple pedals and even my old pedalboard to afford the Temple Audio board. I've sold off enough other gear to afford either the Mobius or H9, so it works out. I hadn't used my MXR Distortion II for 25+ years, so got rid of it and hopefully someone else is enjoying it.

Only pedal I've regretted selling? original orange/blue Univox Super Fuzz I had and sold in the early 80s - I didn't know better and was trying to use it as a distortion box for a bedroom guitar amp (Hilgen Basso Grande head with a 1x15, then a Music Man 410 65).
Attached Thumbnails
Planning my first pedalboard: Help pls-2007_pedalboard.jpg   Planning my first pedalboard: Help pls-2020-latest-pedalboard.jpg  
Old 1st August 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Yes, very true. I researched every pedalboard maker years ago and none of them suited me for many reasons and so I built my own.

I think transportation is the most important aspect to consider with a pedalboard.

I worked out the dimensions at the time based on a plastic carrying case which transitioned to a Pelican case. A trip to Home Depot for trim, boards and carpet and then I built it.

My advice for anyone is to ascertain how you will transport the pedalboard. Car? Bus? Airplane? And of course how the pedalboard dimensions will handle your pedals.

The dimensions of my pedalboard is 20.5" x 14" x 2.5" which fits perfectly in a Pelican case which is fine for everything.

Look past the pedals, it's just a basic wood pedalboard.

Good thought - I do local gigs, so the soft case Temple sells works for me, but when I had to fly to gigs, I ended up making a smaller Pedaltrain nano board that fit into my carryon, so definitely looked at what size would fit and then added what pedals I could and it worked great.

If I were gigging more I'd look at what would fit in a Pelican, being aware of the max size you can use on flights for carryon (it's the 1510) and which you can check-in without incurring excess baggage fees (it's the 1620). I have a 1620 for work and owned the 1510 after researching this extensively...
Old 1st August 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Good thought - I do local gigs, so the soft case Temple sells works for me, but when I had to fly to gigs, I ended up making a smaller Pedaltrain nano board that fit into my carryon, so definitely looked at what size would fit and then added what pedals I could and it worked great.

If I were gigging more I'd look at what would fit in a Pelican, being aware of the max size you can use on flights for carryon (it's the 1510) and which you can check-in without incurring excess baggage fees (it's the 1620). I have a 1620 for work and owned the 1510 after researching this extensively...
I've never flown with the Pelican 1600, here are my two a few minutes ago.

I don't know how baggage handlers work these days, but it wasn't too long ago working in TV you could slip the people out front handling baggage an extra $100 bill and your cameras and overweight gear would get on the airplane.

Old 1st August 2020
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I've never flown with the Pelican 1600, here are my two a few minutes ago.

I don't know how baggage handlers work these days, but it wasn't too long ago working in TV you could slip the people out front handling baggage an extra $100 bill and your cameras and overweight gear would get on the airplane.

yep, those days are gone. I was flying to Bentonville AR, Minneapolis and other parts of the US every other week and never was able to avoid - also the penalty for oversized checked luggage is now $100 per piece, so it would be a wash...
Old 1st August 2020
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Yes, very true. I researched every pedalboard maker years ago and none of them suited me for many reasons and so I built my own.

I think transportation is the most important aspect to consider with a pedalboard.

I worked out the dimensions at the time based on a plastic carrying case which transitioned to a Pelican case. A trip to Home Depot for trim, boards and carpet and then I built it.

My advice for anyone is to ascertain how you will transport the pedalboard. Car? Bus? Airplane? And of course how the pedalboard dimensions will handle your pedals.

The dimensions of my pedalboard is 20.5" x 14" x 2.5" which fits perfectly in a Pelican case which is fine for everything.

Look past the pedals, it's just a basic wood pedalboard.

That's nice. I wanted to go that route, but all my tools are in storage, from moving out of a shop I was renting. But I've seen some badazz ones like yours, plus you can save big $.
Old 1st August 2020
  #29
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
It can be a lot of work, but also an iterative process over time. I had pedals before 2007, but here's the earliest picture of my pedals...
I really like the neatness of the cables dressed under the board.
Old 1st August 2020
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I really like the neatness of the cables dressed under the board.
I use the commercial grade Velcro, and when laying out your pedals and deciding, nah!
need this one moved to here,,, You damn near need a prybar.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 49 views: 14069
Avatar for Glenn Bucci
Glenn Bucci 28th January 2017
replies: 190 views: 34464
Avatar for m127f
m127f 28th February 2017
replies: 57 views: 4118
Avatar for deng
deng 5th November 2016
replies: 61 views: 3707
Avatar for glotus
glotus 8th January 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump