The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solar powered generator for small tube amp?
Old 28th July 2020
Here for the gear

Solar powered generator for small tube amp?

Hi all,

I’ve been having some serious issues with dirty power in my flat that I cannot resolve. I want to find an alternative power supply.

Does anyone know if a portable solar power generator would work with a 5/15 watt tube amp?

Here is a link to the kind of generator I’m looking at: https://www.amazon.es/Generador-Port...d_i=B08422ZS7C

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th July 2020

It's going to depend on the quality of the inverter.... You don't really need the solar portion, just the battery and a good inverter....

-tINY

Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Maniac

I have one of these Pure Sine Wave power banks. Use it for my recording gear and works great. haven't tried it with my amp yet
https://www.floureon.com/products/fl...-single-socket
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashuba View Post
I have one of these Pure Sine Wave power banks. Use it for my recording gear and works great. haven't tried it with my amp yet
Cool, if you try it with your amp let me know how it works out!
Old 5th August 2020
Tube amps ALWAYS draw a lot more power than they put out. Look on the back of your amp - it should list the current draw. You will need a supply at least 50% greater than the amount your amp draws, to be safe. So if your amp draws 1 amp you need 1.5. If it draws 1.5 you need 2.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you use this to power your recording gear at remote locations? What type of gear? Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greid View Post
Cool, if you try it with your amp let me know how it works out!
Sorry for the late response. I tried it and it worked great. the amp is 15w
I played on location with my drummer and i didn't even drain that thing half way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record View Post
Do you use this to power your recording gear at remote locations? What type of gear? Thanks
I have recently since i made the setup. I record vocals in my car. that setup is a shallow rack running power conditioner, tube mic, interface, micpre.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have recently since i made the setup. I record vocals in my car. that setup is a shallow rack running power conditioner, tube mic, interface, micpre.
Nice vocal booth.. Everybody sings better in their car! haha
How long does the power last?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record View Post
Nice vocal booth.. Everybody sings better in their car! haha
How long does the power last?
i have a acoustic panel i put on the windshield right behind the mic. I have tried a few mic's like sm7b and lauten ls208 where you don't need the panel. but I'm using a tube mic and thats more sensitive to its environment.

anyways, that battery is great. highly recommend it. for the vocal recording session, those are usually an 1-1.5 hour and it will only drain about 25% of that thing. I played a gig with my tube amp and that only drained maybe 25%
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I love the warnings about the device down the page there !?!?

a)Please keep the device away from coin, jewelry, keys or other metal object or there will be short circuit hazard.
b)Please don’t heat this device. Throw the device in the fire, water and other liquid container is not allowed. Please keep the device away from the sun directly.
c)Please keep the device away from high humidity and dusty environment
d)Please don’t crash the device. Open the device privately is not allowed
e)Please don’t fall down and hard shock on this device. Put heavy object on the device is not allowed.
f)Please keep this device on the place where the hypophrenia, children and the person who are civil action competence can’t be reached
g)Please Do not cover the device with towels, clothing and other item.
h)The unit may become hot when charging. This is normal. Use caution when handling.
i)Please deal with scrap products in accordance with the regulations, do not treatment the built-in battery as a household garbage, so as not to cause the explosion and pollution.
📝 Reply