The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Passive Volume Box volume spikes
Old 25th July 2020
Here for the gear

Passive Volume Box volume spikes

Hey guys,

I’ve got a JHS Little Black Amp Box as a passive volume box in my FX loop to help reign in the volume on my Mesa Triple Rec and it seems to work pretty well until I switch to the clean channel. There is a very specific sweet spot between the clean channel volume and the JHS Box volume where there is no problem (outside of it being way too loud) but anywhere outside of that specific combination, there’s a volume spike when I strike a chord and the the JHS clamps down on it like a compressor afterwards?

Here is a video to show what I’m talking about.
https://youtu.be/CXzZ4XpeE30

You’ll see around 6 seconds, we hit the sweet spot, which again is still too loud, but turn the channel volume or JHS volume up or down and we get those spikes.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this and get my volume lower?
Old 26th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirbeardicus View Post
Hey guys,

I’ve got a JHS Little Black Amp Box as a passive volume box in my FX loop to help reign in the volume on my Mesa Triple Rec and it seems to work pretty well until I switch to the clean channel. There is a very specific sweet spot between the clean channel volume and the JHS Box volume where there is no problem (outside of it being way too loud) but anywhere outside of that specific combination, there’s a volume spike when I strike a chord and the the JHS clamps down on it like a compressor afterwards?

Here is a video to show what I’m talking about.
https://youtu.be/CXzZ4XpeE30

You’ll see around 6 seconds, we hit the sweet spot, which again is still too loud, but turn the channel volume or JHS volume up or down and we get those spikes.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this and get my volume lower?
And the amp does not do this without the box?

If it's really a passive box it shouldn't do that.
Old 26th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
And the amp does not do this without the box?

If it's really a passive box it shouldn't do that.
Correct, it does not do this without the box. It is pretty strange.
Old 27th July 2020
Interesting. Could we get a pic of the insides?
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear
If you have a pedal that allows negative gain, like a Boss EQ7, try it in the loop to see if it's the JHS pedal or the loop.

If it is the pedal, JHS pedals have a lifetime warranty.
Old 28th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
If you have a pedal that allows negative gain, like a Boss EQ7, try it in the loop to see if it's the JHS pedal or the loop.

If it is the pedal, JHS pedals have a lifetime warranty.
It's supposed to be a PASSIVE pedal. That means that it can have no "positive gain".

What I'm wondering is whether it could possibly have some passive component that leaks when hit with a hard, fast transient - I see no other way to account for the reported effect.

A picture of the insides (or a real schematic) would be useful. Otherwise we're just playing darts in a dark room wearing blindfolds.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear
John - agree a schematic or inside shot is helpful, but on every other one of these boxes that goes in the effects loop, it's a volume pot and connecting wires to the jacks. JHS may have special things as well inside, but that's what it is. My suggestion was to see if changing the gain in the loop made a difference - either it's the JHS box, the cables, or the effects loop.
https://stinkfoot.se/archives/2159

To the OP - try taking the box out of the effects loop and plug into it and then your amp, and then play with the volume knob. That way you're dealing with just the amp without worrying about the effects loop.
📝 Reply