The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which two-rock?
Old 25th July 2020
Here for the gear

Which two-rock?

Hi there. Been looking for an excellent boutique amp. I play with lots of pedals, but also love a good clean sound. Currently running a mesa tc100.

I was looking at getting a 100 watt two-rock, but can't decide which one to get. I was mainly considering the classic reverb signature or the bloomfield, but there is also the ts1, the silver and the traditional to consider. I mostly want an excellent clean channel that sounds awesome on its own, and also sounds awesome with pedals. That being said, I try to buy amps that are also capable of doing their own thing, such as have their own nice overdrive sound or a nice reverb. If you're going to spend 6k on an amp, it's nice if it can do something excellent without any pedals helping it out. Of particular interest to me is the ability for the amp to overdrive nicely, which is why the bloomfield appealed to me, but the classic reverb also has cascading gain staging, which makes selecting the amp all the more challenging.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with two-rock amps? Which one would you recommend? How do they compete with suhr amps as pedal platforms?
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

I don't have any physical experience with Two Rock Amps beyond loving the gorgeous tones gotten with them by Matt Schofield and how he has learned to set them up "on the cusp" sweetspot. I do have LOTS of experience with amps, especially tube amps and have received affirmation from some legit tone monsters like David Lindley. He played Dumbles but as for Two Rock not only does Matt swear by them but somebody high up at Two Rock thinks like I do or they wouldn't name a model "Bloomfield". To me that means they get it that great tone STARTS with Clean... no matter how much you intend to "dirty it up".

So my recommendation would be to buy the amp with the simplest circuit, with the least number of controls and stages. There is a reason that substantially more than a half century later Tweed amps and original Vox and Marshall amps are still revered and still command ridiculous prices. That reason is that, in general, simpler circuits sound sweeter and a Musician can always build on that and never grow tired of it. I don't see the willingness to spend 6K as a minor commitment nor a desire for just a fad. I see it as a commitment to greatness so I'd say K. I. S. S. ... and I don't mean the band even though they kept it very simple.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear