The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
surprise! you've got patent sticker t-tops!
Old 19th July 2020
surprise! you've got patent sticker t-tops!

so i just opened up my 66 mustang that was routed out for humbuckers at some point and found that the pickups in it are gibson t-top humbuckers made sometime between '68 and '74. i've always found the bridge a bit whiny and icepicky. these have no covers. would it be worth hanging onto if i put covers on them? is it possible the tone has drifted over time and they no longer sound like they did at some point in the past (you know, controllable and sweet)?

was planning on changing out the bridge, figured these were some old piece of crap pickups. not sure how to proceed now.
Old 20th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehognrown View Post
so i just opened up my 66 mustang that was routed out for humbuckers at some point. i've always found the bridge a bit whiny and icepicky. these have no covers. would it be worth hanging onto if i put covers on them? is it possible the tone has drifted over time and they no longer sound like they did at some point in the past (you know, controllable and sweet)?

was planning on changing out the bridge, figured these were some old piece of crap pickups. not sure how to proceed now.
The original Fender Mustang pickups were pretty horrible, regardless of what any of these young kids today might say. I remember when Fender introduced the original Mustang about '65 and remember being struck by the fact that the two pickups sounded pretty wimpy compared to the old Duo-Sonic at my local guitar shop.

You want good pickups that still sound like Fenders? Try Lindy Fralin.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/mustang/

I strongly recommend calling them. They love to talk about pickups and have far more options available than those on the web page.
Old 20th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
The original Fender Mustang pickups were pretty horrible, regardless of what any of these young kids today might say. I remember when Fender introduced the original Mustang about '65 and remember being struck by the fact that the two pickups sounded pretty wimpy compared to the old Duo-Sonic at my local guitar shop.

You want good pickups that still sound like Fenders? Try Lindy Fralin.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/mustang/

I strongly recommend calling them. They love to talk about pickups and have far more options available than those on the web page.
OP edited to emphasize that these are not the stock pickups. they are gibson patent sticker t-top humbuckers.
Old 21st July 2020
Quote:
OP edited to emphasize that these are not the stock pickups. they are gibson patent sticker t-top humbuckers.
In that case, try adjusting the height of the bridge pickup. After you get that one right, then adjust the other pickup to balance.

Be aware that there is a fair amount of difference between T-tops during that period - that was the time when Gibson was taken over by CMI, then by Norlin, and both times bean counters came in to mess with things.
Old 21st July 2020
Quote:
In that case, try adjusting the height of the bridge pickup. After you get that one right, then adjust the other pickup to balance.

Be aware that there is a fair amount of difference between T-tops during that period - that was the time when Gibson was taken over by CMI, then by Norlin, and both times bean counters came in to mess with things.
this guitar was set up by the best luthier in chicago

(in my very subjective opinion)

i brought it to a bunch of people before it came back just right. if this is the best he could get it, i think i'm ready to sell
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear
When did you last change the strings?
Are you changing the strings TOO often?
You say the guitar was setup by the best yet are you talking just about pickup height or was some fretwork done as well?

I'm clutching at straws here but I will say that my acoustic instruments can sound pretty "ice picky" if the frets aren't right.
Old 25th July 2020
Quote:
this guitar was set up by the best luthier in chicago

(in my very subjective opinion)

i brought it to a bunch of people before it came back just right. if this is the best he could get it, i think i'm ready to sell
Did you talk to this luthier about what you wanted from the guitar?

Because otherwise he probably set it up the way he likes it, not you. Did you talk to him about tone, or just action?

Even the best luthier in the world is not a mind reader - he can't just "know" what tone you want.
Old 29th July 2020
Quote:
Did you talk to this luthier about what you wanted from the guitar?

Because otherwise he probably set it up the way he likes it, not you. Did you talk to him about tone, or just action?

Even the best luthier in the world is not a mind reader - he can't just "know" what tone you want.
it had quite a bit of work done on it. it's had a crack repaired on the body and headstock, had a neck shim fitted. i've always felt that guitar was just too bright. i decided to sell (for $550!) and spend the money on a set of curtis novak humbuckers voiced like a jazzmaster soapbar to try and darken it up a little. would be nice if my mustang sounded more like a fender offset.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear