The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pignose G60VR mod question...
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

Pignose G60VR mod question...

I just picked up a Pignose G60VR. It sounds great in a bassmanish way, but the EQ is almost useless... There's very little tonal change from 1 to 10 on any of the 4 EQ knobs, and that little change happens at weird specific spots on the pots (e.g. bass goes from 1 to 10 at about 8 o'clock, presence goes from 1 to 10 at about 4 o'clock).

I'm tempted to get rid of this bizarre EQ circuit entirely and add a single tone knob. Has anyone done a mod like that to this amp? Any alternate mod suggestions?
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamely View Post
I just picked up a Pignose G60VR. It sounds great in a bassmanish way, but the EQ is almost useless... There's very little tonal change from 1 to 10 on any of the 4 EQ knobs, and that little change happens at weird specific spots on the pots (e.g. bass goes from 1 to 10 at about 8 o'clock, presence goes from 1 to 10 at about 4 o'clock).

I'm tempted to get rid of this bizarre EQ circuit entirely and add a single tone knob. Has anyone done a mod like that to this amp? Any alternate mod suggestions?
Have thought about cleaning the pots? That's not crossed your mind,,, but modding has? Just exercising each pot all the way, a few turns can help.
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
Have thought about cleaning the pots? That's not crossed your mind,,, but modding has? Just exercising each pot all the way, a few turns can help.
I cleaned the pots and it didn't make a difference. It seems like these amps just have a wonky EQ
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamely View Post
I cleaned the pots and it didn't make a difference. It seems like these amps just have a wonky EQ
May be able to do something with the FX loop?
And It looks like there are some mod's.
You've prob, seen this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ToobAmps/co...pignose_g60vr/
Old 28th July 2020
Since it appears that you have neither the knowledge nor the gear to signal trace the amp to find what's wrong, I suggest taking it to a tech. It's been literally decades since I worked on one of those, but what you describe sounds to me like something has failed in the tone circuit but without having it to look at I can't say what.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear