The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What should I buy?? Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb??
Old 1st July 2020
What should I buy?? Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb??

I had a George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe. Although the clean tone could not be compared to a Super reverb or other classic Fenders, I enjoyed the amp. Especially the fact that I could easily dial-in just a small amount of warmth or significant distorsion with the second channel. I think that the George Benson is better than the Hot Rod Deluxe on that aspect. A flexible amp that was good with my HSS Strat. The clean was also very usable and I used a lot the effect loop.

The problem is that the amp is a lemon and stop working for the third time and Long&McQuade, where I bought the amp, is now giving me full refund. Long and McQuade is a great place to buy stuff.

I will not buy another amp from the Hot-Rod series as I am afraid to buy another lemon. I really like tone like Lenny from Stevie Ray Vaughan and I am hesitant between a Deluxe Reverb 65 or the more expensive Super Reverb. With these I will very likely buy an attenuator and a tube screamer and I have to add these costs in the equation.

These amps will be used mostly at home or in the studio, haven't decide yet, but I will not carry the amp from one place to another very often. Weight is a factor but maybe not a game changer.

Does it worth to pay more and buy a Super Reverb?

Thank for sharing your opinion
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

I recently picked up the Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster and it sounds identical to my Gtr player buddy’s 65 RI... except that the Tonemaster weighs about 7 ounces and is packed with a crazy amount of extra features

Take one for a spin... they also make a Twin Tonemaster
Old 1st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Deluxe Reverbs are great but dont rule out the Princeton reissues either. Those little guys are absolute tone monsters. Maybe not so good for gigging without PAs but nice tidy studio standards.
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

It seems to me that unless you're going to spring for Big Bux for a hand-wired, you are going to face the risks in PCB based construction no matter what brand/model you choose. It does help to choose simpler design models for both reduced risk and improved tone, but at the sacrifice of some flexibility. Since you are mostly playing at home, as long as you audition the actual amp you get first and are somewhat careful transporting it home, the risk factor should be very low.

If you really did love the George Benson model I wouldn't assume the problem that yours exhibited is across-the-board common to that amp unless you see lots of posts of complaints. If that is the case, I'm really quite fond of Fender's BassBreaker series both for design, flexibility and just great dialed in tone. They have so far been quite reliable. You can choose better but it will take a lot more cash and time.
Old 1st July 2020
Here for the gear

I recently purchased a fairly new supersonic 22. I didn.t know the model and the first impressions are rather impressive with build quality and the way the amp responds to both SC and Humbuckers. Usually you'll find classic amps leaning more to one or the other.
Certainly in a small studio 20 watts usually is more than enough.

Goodluck with the search.
Old 1st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I recently picked up the Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster and it sounds identical to my Gtr player buddy’s 65 RI... except that the Tonemaster weighs about 7 ounces and is packed with a crazy amount of extra features

Tonemasters are modeling amp with class D power section. It has nothing to do with tube amps...but who knows...maybe I should try to rent one for a week or two... Not very long ago class D amps were not very good.
Old 1st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Actually, I’m just reading that you were shopping at L&M so I’m going to make the assumption that you’re in Canada. If that’s the case, I would MASSIVELY suggest looking at old Traynor combos. Early YGM series might be in your ballpark. These were built to last and sound VERY good. They pop up every so often on L&M’s Gearhunter page, but are all over buy and sells as well. I understand some people’s reluctance to buy vintage, but I’m a firm believer that the build quality of these early Traynors will be tough to beat. Worst case, they might need a recap, but thats the cost of doing business!
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan06 View Post
Tonemasters are modeling amp with class D power section. It has nothing to do with tube amps...but who knows...maybe I should try to rent one for a week or two... Not very long ago class D amps were not very good.
I have a room of tube amps... I’m quite aware

If I was in the market for a reissue Deluxe or Twin, I’d get the tonemaster. Let go of the Class A/Class D nonsense and use your ears on this one

If I was in the market for a vintage amp, for whatever reason, that’d be a different calculation.
Old 1st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
If you really did love the George Benson model I wouldn't assume the problem that yours exhibited is across-the-board common to that amp unless you see lots of posts of complaints. If that is the case, I'm really quite fond of Fender's BassBreaker series both for design, flexibility and just great dialed in tone. They have so far been quite reliable. You can choose better but it will take a lot more cash and time.
I heard, on various forum, that the Hot Rod series are not the most reliable and that Fender tried a bit too hard to save on this series. My Gearge Benson had a lot of intermittent hiss and a noisy effect loop. When I first bought it there was also significant hum especially if my guitar cord was close to the transformer. I think, among other thing,s that it could be better shielded.

I will have a look at the Bassbreaker 45. It seems that there is an attenuator included. That is nice. My question is that can I get the SRV Lenny tone with this amp? Super Reverb has 6L6 and tube rectifier and the Bass breaker 45 has some EL34 and solid state rectifier. They are not available everywhere for rental...too bad.

Is there a spring reverb in the BassBreaker 45?
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Hya Dan. Working backwards, No the Bassbreaker 45 doesn't have reverb. Somewhat oddly it doesn't have an FX Loop either but that is very likely why it has that Fender Tweed clarity as well as that Perlxi drive if and when you want it. I think Fender assumed most people have a favorite (or 3) delay pedals and that when recording any effects including Spring Reverb can be added at the desk. I have to agree that as much as I love Reverb, i love the clarity and liveliness of a simple design even more. In my view, Reverb is Frosting and Tone is Cake, and every Bassbreaker model I've played through has serious cake.

There are a plethora of demo/review vids on YouTube and most of therm spend way too much time on overdriven sounds but that's probably because the attenuator is superb. I have yet to find a demo/review that really cranks up the Master/Attenuator and drops back some on preamp gain and/or guitar volume. That said, the Guitar Center video does demonstrate a decent clean tone for those low setings. I had an old friend working at a shop who sweetly let me crank it up for a few minutes and I can tell you that big, bloomy bottom one expects from 6L6s is still there with the EL34s. I don't think you will have any problem getting a Lenny-like tone from this amp... after all Lenny was heavily influenced by "Little Wing" as were many songs and "Little Wing" and it's children sounded great whether through Fender or Marshall or Dumble.

Somehow you need to audition one because words just don't suffice. It's a very serious amp.
Old 1st July 2020
Quote:

Aside from the fact that they're not "real" Deluxe Reverbs....
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Aside from the fact that they're not "real" Deluxe Reverbs....
Oh, John... you’re like a Genie. All someone has to do is mention a virtual or modeling amp and you appear!

On this particular issue I will Lovingly say this to you And any naysayer: Unless you’ve plugged into one of these Tonemasters, zip it.

These amps are spooky.

And you’re right... I don’t have to change tubes, break my back moving them around... so, yah, in all of the ways I’m grateful, “they’re not Twins or Deluxes”... in all of the important ways (the sound/playability/recording options/amazing attenuation) they're indistinguishable And better than their RI tube counterparts.
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I heard, on various forum, that the Hot Rod series are not the most reliable and that Fender tried a bit too hard to save on this series. My Gearge Benson had a lot of intermittent hiss and a noisy effect loop. When I first bought it there was also significant hum especially if my guitar cord was close to the transformer. I think, among other thing,s that it could be better shielded.

I will have a look at the Bassbreaker 45. It seems that there is an attenuator included. That is nice. My question is that can I get the SRV Lenny tone with this amp? Super Reverb has 6L6 and tube rectifier and the Bass breaker 45 has some EL34 and solid state rectifier. They are not available everywhere for rental...too bad.

Is there a spring reverb in the BassBreaker 45?
Don’t believe everything you read... I have a stock normal one and a mike landau version and they’ve been solid forever...

I think you just got a lemon
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
These amps will be used mostly at home or in the studio, haven't decide yet, but I will not carry the amp from one place to another very often. Weight is a factor but maybe not a game changer.

You are asking about two different tone bases here. The Deluxe is a single 12" at about 22 watts - is easy to manage in bedroom/studio situations without a lot of fussing around. Easy amp to put a Microphone in front of too - hard to find a bad spot.

The Super is a lot louder and has a 4 x 10 setup - which pushes more air. Impressive amp at volume - harder to mic up for the studio - but once dialed into the right speaker and the right placement the amp performs well.

Between the two amps I would buy the Deluxe. Although I would pay attention to [email protected] bgood post. The newer non tube 'modeling' styled amps from Fender are really good for home and studio work. They also have a lot of nice features that allow you to go beyond the basic 'Fender' like tone. I've worked with a couple in the studio - and they worked out perfectly. In a mix I doubt anyone would be able to tell them apart - solo'd you'll hear it - but if like me I enjoyed the tone. Of course the caveat is that they do not mimic a Deluxe down to the last ion -but they do produce a wonderful sound that works in a mix.
Old 1st July 2020

A used SuperSonic 22 may be a good replacement. If you have the budget, look at the Mesa Fillmore 25.

I even see those Traynor amps down south here - they seem solid and asking prices are pretty low.

-tINY

Old 1st July 2020
Quote:
I had a George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe. Although the clean tone could not be compared to a Super reverb or other classic Fenders, I enjoyed the amp. Especially the fact that I could easily dial-in just a small amount of warmth or significant distorsion with the second channel. I think that the George Benson is better than the Hot Rod Deluxe on that aspect. A flexible amp that was good with my HSS Strat. The clean was also very usable and I used a lot the effect loop.

The problem is that the amp is a lemon and stop working for the third time and Long&McQuade, where I bought the amp, is now giving me full refund. Long and McQuade is a great place to buy stuff.

I will not buy another amp from the Hot-Rod series as I am afraid to buy another lemon. I really like tone like Lenny from Stevie Ray Vaughan and I am hesitant between a Deluxe Reverb 65 or the more expensive Super Reverb. With these I will very likely buy an attenuator and a tube screamer and I have to add these costs in the equation.

If weight isn't an issue I would go with the Super. Get the amp you want.
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

A good vintage SR is a holy grail amp. Every player whose heard mine fell in love on the spot. The FEEL is amazing.
Old 2nd July 2020
Gear Addict

As someone who has owned both the Deluxe and the Super Reverb Reissues, the '65 Deluxe is the most vanilla of all the Fender Reissues. It has little personality, and the statement that "it takes pedals well" means you are going to need pedals to give it any mojo. The '65 Super Reverb, on the other hand, probably has the most mojo of any of the reissues. Unfortunately it also has higher cost, higher weight and 40-watts could be problematic in a home studio environment. Fender currently does make some good small amps, but they are handwired and pretty expensive. They have announced a handwired Princeton, and the Chris Stapleton Signature Princeton (a handwired '62 Brownface with a 12") is a smoking little amp as is the '64 Custom Deluxe handwire. But they may well be out of your price range...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 4 weeks ago
OK guys,

I decided to make a reasonable buy for now and maybe later buy a big, loud and heavy Super Reverb. I decided to buy the Deluxe reverb until I discovered that Fender makes a variety of single channel Princeton Reverb amps with 12 inches speakers!! And my buddy with a two-channels Deluxe Reverb told me that he always uses the same channel....

At first I didn't considered the Princeton because I wanted to have a little bit more clean headroom, now with the special editions 65 Princeton Reverb with 12 inches speaker I may get a tad more clean headroom and a bigger tone. I am now considering the Princeton. If I want as much clean headroom as possible with a 65 Princeton reverb, which 12'' speaker should I get? Before I go and try these (and of course they are in different stores) I would like to get your opinion.

65 Princeton Reverb with:

1- Lacquered Tweed with 12'' Cannabis Rex at $1399 CDN
2- Western style with 12'' Jensen C12Q at $1429 CDN
3- covered with blue Denim and 12'' CELESTION® ALNICO BLUE, at $1559 CDN
4- Knotty Pine cabinet with 12″ Celestion Creamback $1799 CDN

The last two are gorgeous looking but really I am looking at the best clean tone and Clean Headroom. Cost is not a big factor.

Any opinions or tips?

Thank you,
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK guys,

I decided to make a reasonable buy for now and maybe later buy a big, loud and heavy Super Reverb. I decided to buy the Deluxe reverb until I discovered that Fender makes a variety of single channel Princeton Reverb amps with 12 inches speakers!! And my buddy with a two-channels Deluxe Reverb told me that he always uses the same channel....

At first I didn't considered the Princeton because I wanted to have a little bit more clean headroom, now with the special editions 65 Princeton Reverb with 12 inches speaker I may get a tad more clean headroom and a bigger tone. I am now considering the Princeton. If I want as much clean headroom as possible with a 65 Princeton reverb, which 12'' speaker should I get? Before I go and try these (and of course they are in different stores) I would like to get your opinion.

65 Princeton Reverb with:

1- Lacquered Tweed with 12'' Cannabis Rex at $1399 CDN
2- Western style with 12'' Jensen C12Q at $1429 CDN
3- covered with blue Denim and 12'' CELESTION® ALNICO BLUE, at $1559 CDN
4- Knotty Pine cabinet with 12″ Celestion Creamback $1799 CDN

The last two are gorgeous looking but really I am looking at the best clean tone and Clean Headroom. Cost is not a big factor.

Any opinions or tips?

Thank you,
These Princetons are tone monsters. Very cool little amps. I played the 65 FSR Tweed with the Cannabis Rex locally and really liked it. Compared to the blackface 65 reissue, it seemed to tame the bright treble. I thought the FSR tweed was a pretty cool amp.

Another one to complicate your search is the 68 Silverface Custom Princeton. More midrange than the 65 but man the overdrive tone of that amp are sweet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Dont have the reissues, but have 2x Super Reverb's and 2x Deluxe reverb's from the 60's (64, 65, 66). Have also 3x BF Princeton reverb's and 2x Brown-face Princeton's (as well as Twins, Bass-mans, Bandmasters, Tweeds...). I would have the Super over a Deluxe every time. Bigger, fuller tone, better reverb. Deluxe is ok when over-driven (if you like Fender overdrive) but gets muddier quicker. Super has much better cleans, takes pedals better and has a good over-driven tone(I like 6L6 better then 6V6)
Princeton is ok on clean (not as full as the bigger amps) and has decent-ish reverb, but overall is a 1-trick pony. I hate the way it overdrives. It takes pedals ok, but you really want to be careful gains-taging. It also has a 1x10 speaker, which on its own is ho-ham.
I heard some of the RIs and much prefer the older amps. They can take most attenuators quite well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

A Super Reverb will definitely worth more.

It will also make bigger [more impressive, generally]. Plus more knobs.

So its really easy choice and you need a Super Reverb. Try to get one with wheels if you can. Its even taller that way.

I love Super Reverbs.

Regards,

Money

So you need a Super Reverb
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
Another one to complicate your search is the 68 Silverface Custom Princeton. More midrange than the 65 but man the overdrive tone of that amp are sweet.
Well...even more things to consider... I think I will start another thread on the difference between Silverface and Blackface SuperReverb reissue...So the Silverface have more mid? That sounds interesting to me, I will have to try and compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
These Princetons are tone monsters. Very cool little amps. I played the 65 FSR Tweed with the Cannabis Rex locally and really liked it. Compared to the blackface 65 reissue, it seemed to tame the bright treble. I thought the FSR tweed was a pretty cool amp.
This is good to know as I am a little bit intolerant to excess treble, especially if it is harsh. Maybe the treble will not be harsh on a Princeton but I am sure I will like to tame it a little

Thank

Dan.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My two cents, and I own both models as well as several others i.e. Fender, Vox, Marshall, The Princeton is a great amp and for home/studio would be the best pick. Currently, I'm in the middle of tracking right now and put up both the Princeton and 65 Deluxe RI. The Princeton gets the tone and you can push it at low volumes for some grit. The DRRI does pretty much the same (a little less clean) thing but a lot louder. If you don't think you will need to use the amp for live playing with a band, I would recommend the Princeton. For recording purposes a pushed loud amp doesn't bring much of a difference at the microphone except a lot of volume which must be turned down for recording. The only exception would be using a second room mic, there the difference in amps will be noticed greatly because a louder amp will excite the room more than a smaller amp and it will give a different tonal presentation. Not better, just different and you may like the difference. For one or two mics directly on the cab, you can get some great sounds with just the Princeton alone.

All that said, inspirationally, if the family doesn't complain, the DRRI is a better spin. The Super Reverb is a band amp pushing a lot of air. I would want that for live primarily and secondarily as a recording amp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Dont have the reissues, but have 2x Super Reverb's and 2x Deluxe reverb's from the 60's (64, 65, 66). Have also 3x BF Princeton reverb's and 2x Brown-face Princeton's (as well as Twins, Bass-mans, Bandmasters, Tweeds...). I would have the Super over a Deluxe every time. Bigger, fuller tone, better reverb. Deluxe is ok when over-driven (if you like Fender overdrive) but gets muddier quicker. Super has much better cleans, takes pedals better and has a good over-driven tone(I like 6L6 better then 6V6)
Princeton is ok on clean (not as full as the bigger amps) and has decent-ish reverb, but overall is a 1-trick pony. I hate the way it overdrives. It takes pedals ok, but you really want to be careful gains-taging. It also has a 1x10 speaker, which on its own is ho-ham.
I heard some of the RIs and much prefer the older amps. They can take most attenuators quite well.
Yuri - I found that the Kendrick Black Frame 10" really helped my 79 Princeton Reverb take pedals with higher volume. On my Princeton with a Weber replacement for a blown Oxford, it doesn't take pedals as well as my tremolux, so agreeing with you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well...even more things to consider... I think I will start another thread on the difference between Silverface and Blackface SuperReverb reissue...So the Silverface have more mid? That sounds interesting to me, I will have to try and compare.

This is good to know as I am a little bit intolerant to excess treble, especially if it is harsh. Maybe the treble will not be harsh on a Princeton but I am sure I will like to tame it a little

Thank

Dan.
I cant speak to the Supers. I’ve only sat down with the Princetons side by side. In that regard, how and ever, there are plenty of decent 68 vs 65 shootouts on youtube.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I wouldn't doubt this, but I would be looking for an old Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb or even a Twin Reverb before I would be buying any of the new Fender stuff.

Night and day when it comes to sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I wouldn't doubt this, but I would be looking for an old Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb or even a Twin Reverb before I would be buying any of the new Fender stuff.

Night and day when it comes to sound.
Cool... sort of OT, but, cool!

Last edited by bgood; 4 weeks ago at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Sp
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can't really expect too much from the new production amps. I'd get an amp from a boutique builder or an older fender amp. I had a modern Deluxe. Even with a custom Weber speaker built for it, I couldn't get it to sparkle like it should have. It's not been in my budget(Maybe someday), a Divided by 13 amp was the best damn thing I ever played through. They had a few amps at a store I visited. I think it was the 10/20 that was the sweet spot for me. A while back I found a builder who was starting out. I met up & played his 5e3 clone. Bought it on the Spot for $500. It's very low frills. No effects. But, I'd cut up any modern fender with a saw to keep this little amp. The only downside is that I now carry around pedals. Keep your eyes open. Opportunities do pop their head, from time to time.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear