The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Did I really find a 1962 Fender Bassman?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Did I really find a 1962 Fender Bassman?

I recently reconnected with a friend from high school who's dad was a bass player back in the 1960's. I remember going to her house in high school and seeing her dad's Fender Bassman in the family room. I recently helped her with some things and she gave me her dad's amp because he passed away.
I just looked up some things about it and find that it may be a 1962 (a.k.a. Pre CBS Fender Bassman) but I'm not sure. The amp plays and sounds great, and it looks cool. Anyone here into these and can comment on if it is what I think it is? See attached pics. I'm new to this forum but it seems really cool! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Did I really find a 1962 Fender Bassman?-fender-bassman-front.jpg   Did I really find a 1962 Fender Bassman?-fender-bassman-inside-label.jpg   Did I really find a 1962 Fender Bassman?-fender-bassman-head-date-stamp.jpg   Did I really find a 1962 Fender Bassman?-fender-bassman-side.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yup

Has the same look as my 61 Bandmaster. Can't read details from the sticker inside but I'd say you have the real deal. Also, since you've known the person that gave you the amp the provenance is pretty solid. If it's authentic you have a real gem.

Have it checked out by a competent tech. Don't let anyone from Guitar Center touch it.

Good luck with it and Rock On!!
Old 1 week ago
Yes, you did.

Congratulations!

DO NOT let a tech install new tubes unless something is wrong with the amp. The old tubes will be MUCH BETTER than anything made now, and if the tech swaps tubes on you he'll probably keep your old tubes for himself.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The first clue to it's authenticity is the front panel which states "Fender Elect. Inst. Co" . Unless someone went to a huge amount of trouble to clone one, it's the real deal.

Fender Blonde isn't as inflated as Fender Tweed but many consider Blondes and Browns as good or even better. Unless you seek to sell it at a profit, and possibly even then, it's worth it to find a tech that will check everything out FIRST before replacing ANYTHING including filter caps. Many assume old electrolytic caps will "dry out" and just automatically "go bad' just from age. Sometimes caps do fail with age but the oil is in a paste and the cans are sealed. It isn't "automatic" that they will "dry out". They should be carefully powered up with a variac at lower voltage, progressing slowly (hours) to full house current so as to not cause any initial internal arcing but the odds aren't at all bad they will be just fine.

The salient point is - DON'T ASSUME... TEST instead.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

More info about 1962 Fender Bassman

Thanks for the feedback on the Fender Bassman guys! It's really cool to find people like you who are so helpful and don't even know me.

I tracked down a gear head friend of mine who I didn't know if I'd be able to reach or not and just heard back from him. I thought you'd be interested in what he had so say too.

"It's definitely a 1962 amp, and very desirable. Key trainspotting feature is the change from tube rectifier (GZ34) to solid state rectifier, which occurred starting in 1962. The tube chart does not list the GZ34 so it is 1962 - and pre-CBS. That style of amp was only made for two years.

Here's a good article on the progression of the Bassman amp

https://www.vintageguitar.com/34259/...ender-bassman/

Take it to Binghamtone, they are in Vestal and they deal with vintage amps. I bought a couple of things there, no complaints.

https://www.binghamtone.com

Sure there is House of Guitars but they have had a pile of vintage Fender Amps that never seems to move over the years. They ask top dollar for anything vintage but the amps aren't always working.
Binghamtone has a competent repair shop who can inspect it for bad output transformers, leaking caps, which often occurs with old amps.
They'll fix the amp before they put it out on the floor. They also go to guitar shows.

Prices vary all over the map. External condition, original speaker(s), original components are factors in the value of an amp.
They were sold from the factory as a head/cabinet set and an original factory set has better value than head and cabinet that are not original. I have a 2019 Vintage Guitar Price Guide which is pretty accurate and comprehensive, and you're looking at least $2000.

If you want a tech to look over the amp before you go to Binghamtone, Mike Baker in Horseheads is very competent."
Old 6 days ago
That is the amp Jimi Hendrix used to record Voodoo Child with Steve Winwood.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Surf Guys

Just so you know, Surf players are fond of Brown Face amps and Bassman are popular because of the larger transformer. If you're inclined to sell it you can post here.

https://surfguitar101.com/
Old 6 days ago
Oh man, lucky you! Fantastic amp, I'm extremely jealous. Enjoy the heck out of it
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

On that age of Fender amp there should be a paper tube chart inside the amp head. Along with listing the tubes
there should be an ink stamped two letter code. It will tell the month and year of assembly. Also many will have
a month/day/year ink stamps on various parts of the amp such as the cabinet and amp head wood (look on inner surfaces)
and on the chassis. You can also date the speakers and identify the supplier with the code stamped on the outer edge.
That is a favorite amp of Brian Setzer.

https://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienum...r-amps_eng.php
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear