The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kononykheen : any opinion ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Kononykheen : any opinion ?

I just tumbled on this russian brand which produces limited runs of never to be rereleased models, on the mid range price (around 700€).
Beautiful instruments.
Any opinion on these axes ?
Thanx!
Erik
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

thanx for posting ..
never came across the brand .. 'till now
```````````````````````````````````
i fancy a noodle on no.26 pleez
https://kononykheen.com/guitars/kono...ed-twenty-six/

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
a.tb.
` s `
Old 1 week ago
Opinion?

Well, they have an interesting sales gimmick with the "all limited edition" crap. However there's no way that I'd be willing to send a thousand bucks to Russia for a guitar that I've never seen, heard, played, or ever heard of.

And I'm totally underwhelmed buy the sales gimmick.

Their sales blather isn't very impressive, either.

A name that isn't a tongue-twister might help a bit as well.

The styling? not much different that a zillion other wannabe guitar companies doing a random mix-and-match of miscellaneous Fender and Gibson style features. Pretty unimpressive.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I think I’m more interested in users opinion...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by blougui View Post
I think I’m more interested in users opinion...
Of an unknown Russian guitar brand.
Good luck. Seriously.

EDIT:

Quote:
This is what makes Kononykheen guitars popular among guitar collectors, rare guitar collectors, as well as professional musicians, and also guitar enthusiasts who enjoy having unique, quality instruments. Each Kononykheen guitar is rare and, after it is retired, becomes a limited-edition collectible, available only from owners who purchased from the original small batch.
In other words, it's aq deliberate commercial shuck, intended to take advantage of wannabes who caught the guitar "collector" bug but aren't in a financial position to obtain any real collectible guitars.

Kiddies, the odds of a guitar like one of these becoming a real collectible are about as good as my chances of being elected President of the USA in the next election, which I have not been nominated for and would refuse if I was.

Maybe if a user of these guitars was to become a mega-superstar then, assuming that the Konon-etc was actually his iconic, signature guitar then maybe, just maybe the other 200 guitars in that "original small batch" might become collectible. But that wouldn't do much for those who purchased all those other guitars from different "limited edition batches" because, as we know, the tribute faux-relic market is extremely visually oriented.

MAYBE these guys are on the level, but there are many things about the operation that make me believe that it's a shuck, designed to separate fools from their money. I'd actually be surprised if these guitars were not really built in China or Korea. For one thing, the pricing is wrong for instruments that were actually being hand made in small quantities. You can't even get a hand made Telecaster from an independent luthier for that.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 1 week ago at 12:34 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well, actually it could be an Ok, even a very good guitar, and even worth its money, as labour in russia is pretty inexpensive... but really cant say anything about this luthier. But i know a couple that can make a very good axe for the same price, that’s why i’m so confident about “it could be a good guitar”.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I do notcare about the collector aspect, really couldn’t care less.
I just find them pretty and demo sounds « great ».
As there is no info on where they’re amde, I’m confident they’re not built in Russia but in Asia.
I might ask the french importator.
Erik
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I do notcare about the collector aspect, really couldn’t care less.
I just find them pretty and demo sounds « great ».
As there is no info on where they’re amde, I’m confident they’re not built in Russia but in Asia.
I might ask the french importator.
Erik
You can probably find the same guitar cheaper from a Chinese site. Probably a lot cheaper.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You can probably find the same guitar cheaper from a Chinese site. Probably a lot cheaper.
Like wich one ? Any chinese reading compulsory ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just tumbled on this russian brand which produces limited runs of never to be rereleased models, on the mid range price (around 700€).
Beautiful instruments.
Any opinion on these axes ?
Thanx!
Erik
They look like 3rd rate, derivative sh*te to me. But I've been wrong before...

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
My experience with Russian made guitars was nothing less then excellent. 99% are hand-made by knowledgeable people who do not have access to expensive CNC machines. I met one of these guys here, and he knew more about the woods and curing and treatment then anyone here I know. They also do not have stupid laws limiting the use of some paints so you get real lacquer, or vintage treatment.
They do not resell Chinese guitars, because it kills their industry and because Russians know good instrument when they see one.
Remember Russian music has thousands years of history and is highly regarded.
On the other note I just got a couple of designed/made in Russian tube pres - better then most I have here from Aus, USA, Japan... And $600 is much better then several $K for a similar thing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Remember Russian music has thousands years of history and is highly regarded.
That’s rich.

But, there ARE some good guitars made by russian luthiers, i just can’t say anything about these Kononykheen, and i know no guitar player who have heard anything about it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
That’s rich.

But, there ARE some good guitars made by russian luthiers, i just can’t say anything about these Kononykheen, and i know no guitar player who have heard anything about it.
I do not know this builder. I was referring to Russian builders in general, who are quite good. In no way inferior to anything US/Europe/Japan CNC fare. There just seems to be some stigma to anything Chinese, Korean, Russian... All make great instruments and devices. A friend brought in his Eastman recently. I liked it so much I bought it. Much cheaper and better made then many traditional builders. Yamaha made better 335's (SA series) then gibbo, ditto for LP (SG series). At a much better price. Duesenberg is superb and in my collection of 195 guitars is one of the most used.
Re "thats rich" comment - No need for being patronising. You did hear of Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Borodin, Shostakovitch, Rimskii-Korsakoff......... and many more? Many Jazz guys too. In Rock-pop they are limited by the language but are doing better then most of us in the west. There are artists in Russia, India.. who sold over 120M albums, but you don't even know them
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear