The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass Players - Recommend A Guitar Player A Decent Bass
Old 23rd June 2020
Here for the gear
Bass Players - Recommend A Guitar Player A Decent Bass

Hey all,

I'm going to pick up a bass which will be almost exclusively be used to record DIs when I need a live bass 'feel' on film/TV tracks, rather than MIDI triggered synths. I'll also use it to teach. (I play & teach guitar and occaisonally help out some kids sitting bass exams too.)

My natural impulse is a Squire Jazz bass or the combination Jazz / Precisions look interesting. Wonder if I should fork out for the Fender though?

I suppose as it's mainly a DI thing pickups are important so is buying the Squire and upgrading the pups the way to go?

Does anyone have another recommendations that will do the job and not break the bank?
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

I'd rather aim for e.g. a LTD with active electronics. Less hum, more flexibility.
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Maniac

re:
"Recommend A Guitar Player A Decent Bass"

have you considered a short scale bass ?
if not .. and unless it's a def. no no .. try one out
~~~~~~~~~~~~
is a passive bass + preamp out of the question ?
seem to be a few good bass preamps in pedal format
~~~~~~~~~~~
a.t.b.
~ S~
Old 23rd June 2020
Here for the gear

Bought a Bass VI for similar reasons a while back. One of my better purchases as in useful and fun. Used it for bass, also (with the choke switch) more baritone spy guitar type things. Easier to play as a guitarist. Quite flexible with 3 pups (though prefer the mid). Definitely a keeper.

However, it turned out to be a bit of a gateway drug. Since bought a jazz and serious GAS right now for a precision and/or stingray. Most likely and. So be warned...

If short-scale not of interest, personally I would look at P/J. There’s an 80s Japanese copy in the shop down the road... Or tbh sometimes wonder if I shouldn’t have just got a variax.
Old 24th June 2020
Love my Hagstrum 8 string bass. bass AND lead, all at the same time.
Old 24th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazC View Post
Hey all,

I'm going to pick up a bass which will be almost exclusively be used to record DIs when I need a live bass 'feel' on film/TV tracks, rather than MIDI triggered synths. I'll also use it to teach. (I play & teach guitar and occaisonally help out some kids sitting bass exams too.)

My natural impulse is a Squire Jazz bass or the combination Jazz / Precisions look interesting. Wonder if I should fork out for the Fender though?

I suppose as it's mainly a DI thing pickups are important so is buying the Squire and upgrading the pups the way to go?

Does anyone have another recommendations that will do the job and not break the bank?
I have several assorted basses but my main studio bass is a Squier P-Bass that I got for $80 at a hock shop. It was fine as it was, but after I replaced the pickup with a Bill Lawrence Alnico II that I got for $30 on EBay it has amazed every bassist who has tried it.
Old 24th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Love my Hagstrum 8 string bass. bass AND lead, all at the same time.
"Hagstrom"

Noel Redding used to use one of those.
Old 24th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Y View Post
Bought a Bass VI for similar reasons a while back. One of my better purchases as in useful and fun. Used it for bass, also (with the choke switch) more baritone spy guitar type things. Easier to play as a guitarist. Quite flexible with 3 pups (though prefer the mid). Definitely a keeper.

However, it turned out to be a bit of a gateway drug. Since bought a jazz and serious GAS right now for a precision and/or stingray. Most likely and. So be warned...

If short-scale not of interest, personally I would look at P/J. There’s an 80s Japanese copy in the shop down the road... Or tbh sometimes wonder if I shouldn’t have just got a variax.
I used to own a Bass VI - one of the first 500 made, had the 3 switch plate instead of the much more common 4 switch.

Really interesting instrument, but pretty lousy for normal bass duties - it just doesn't sound right.

The Bass VI was never intended to be a proper electric bass - it was designed to be a bass guitar*, taking a guitar's part in the band playing chords and guitar lines an octave down. It's great for that, but lacks the "meat" to really be convincing as the main bass instrument. The pickups just weren't designed to be bass pickups - they're Jaguar pickups, which are essentially Strat pickups with the added metal "claw" to modify the magnetic field.

* - Fender made a very clear differentiation in their '60s era catalogs between their electric basses (intended to fill the bass viol role in the band) and the bass guitar, intended to be a novelty instrument for guitarists.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 24th June 2020 at 09:44 PM..
Old 24th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
I'd rather aim for e.g. a LTD with active electronics. Less hum, more flexibility.
I would shun any bass with active electronics as a resident studio bass. There is nothing that the onboard electronics can do that can't be done better by the EQ in the studio console or DAW, and active basses have way too much potential for screwing up the bass sound in ways that cannot be corrected after the fact.

That's not to say that there aren't many bassists who play an active bass in the studio with great results but those are guys who bring their own active bass and know it well - they know what not to do, how to avoid printing a track that won't work in the mix.

Anybody who should be playing an active bass will have one. If the player does not have one, the studio is not the place to start playing around with one.

And, I kinda hate to say it, but there are a lot of people who play an active live using tones that just don't work in a recorded mix.
Old 24th June 2020
Quote:
Hey all,

I have several assorted basses but my main studio bass is a Squier P-Bass that I got for $80 at a hock shop. It was fine as it was, but after I replaced the pickup with a Bill Lawrence Alnico II that I got for $30 on EBay it has amazed every bassist who has tried it.
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
+1
Or a used Squier Precision Classic Vibe. I actually prefer them over many Fender USA. If it is for recording, a Precision always sounds good. Always.
Old 25th June 2020
Gear Head

Fender Mustang PJ bass. Short scale great for guitar players. PJ pickups give some nice variety for recording. Mexican, so set up nice out of the box. Tons used in the $400 range if you don't want to spend $549 for a new one.
Old 25th June 2020
Quote:
"Hagstrom"

Noel Redding used to use one of those.
I strum mine here.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

By today's standards, Fenders are some of the worse sounding basses on the market. There are literately 100s of better basses on the market. Warwick, Cort, Kramer, Schecter and Peavey to name a few.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
by Today's standard Fenders are some of the worse souding basses on the market. There are literately 100s of better basses on the market. Warwick, Cort, Kramer, Schecter and Peavey to name a few
It pains me to say this, but ^^^this guy gets it.
Old 26th June 2020
I'm getting a Fender P

It'll sound great
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Guru

If the teaching aspect involves kids playing your bass, then you might consider a short-scale. Otherwise, a short-scale might be less "real" sounding for your work assignments. In terms of the reach factor, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for new Fenders and Squiers not measuring up to "today's standards," I haven't really noticed that. But once you've developed a real bass player's touch, it's more about your hands than the instrument. As long as the instrument isn't totally useless.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Isn't it bad to build muscle memory on a short scale bass when you want full scale eventually?

Applies both to the OP and to kids that get teaching.
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Isn't it bad to build muscle memory on a short scale bass when you want full scale eventually?

Applies both to the OP and to kids that get teaching.
I don't think that's a big concern. Electric guitarists switch back and forth between Gibson and Fender all the time.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I don't think that's a big concern. Electric guitarists switch back and forth between Gibson and Fender all the time.
But that is much less of a difference.
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
But that is much less of a difference.
Fine. :-). Throw a mandolin or ukulele song into the set.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

I used to bring three basses to every gig: A 35" scale, a 34" scale, and a 32" scale. Muscle memory never was an issue, and three nanoseconds into any given tune your fingers knew where to go.
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Addict

We had someone bring in a Classic Vibe '70s Jazz Bass a few years ago. I was astounded at how good it sounded considering the cost. It was also extremely quiet when DI'd into Pro Tools. I was impressed enough to buy one for the studio, even though we already had three Fender American Deluxes...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

I have a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz. It's fkn awesome, and that's before you take into account it's price
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Addict

I also recommend a P-Bass with good pickups. Active electronics are unnecessarily.
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It depends on how agile you are.
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would shun any bass with active electronics as a resident studio bass. There is nothing that the onboard electronics can do that can't be done better by the EQ in the studio console or DAW, and active basses have way too much potential for screwing up the bass sound in ways that cannot be corrected after the fact.

That's not to say that there aren't many bassists who play an active bass in the studio with great results but those are guys who bring their own active bass and know it well - they know what not to do, how to avoid printing a track that won't work in the mix.

Anybody who should be playing an active bass will have one. If the player does not have one, the studio is not the place to start playing around with one.

And, I kinda hate to say it, but there are a lot of people who play an active live using tones that just don't work in a recorded mix.
^^ Not true, an onboard HPF wired before the volume control will sound way different than an EQ on a desk. Also John there is a different between active eq and and active pickups. Do you even own or play bass?
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Maniac

I got an american p-bass with a Dimarzio in it that Sounds good direct. Also got a 78 Gibson rd artist. With the Moog compressor built in, way heavy but cool, active and notes sustain forever. I'd go P-bass if only one for the studio.
Old 28th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know what those crazy kids are looking for nowadays but to me a Squier Precision with a regulation Fender Precision Bass pickup is all I need.

Get two. One with flats and one with roundwounds.
Old 28th June 2020
Here for the gear

I would recommend going to a store and playing a few. Since you are not going for monster chops and trying to impress people, get something cheap. I would +1 active preamp, but it is by no means necessary. Get something that feels good in your hands and that you can get your hand and fingers around easily. Every bass type has a diff neck shape and feel. Also, check the weight. Some gear is really heavy and does not really need to be. My favorite bass is an Ibanez SR800 that I picked up in a store and could not put down. It was definitely not what I thought I was looking for, but I have been gigging with it for 25 years now.
📝 Reply