The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass Players - Recommend A Guitar Player A Decent Bass
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Every time I saw Harvey Brooks play before The Electric Flag he was using a Danelectro shorthorn (short scale) bass. Speaking of "Sears" type basses........

Those Danelectro basses showed up a lot more than I think people realize. I think that the Danelectro bass was a common recording studio tool.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Those Danelectro basses showed up a lot more than I think people realize. I think that the Danelectro bass was a common recording studio tool.
I doubt it. For gigging, they're featherweight for 5 sets starting at 9 and they've got a decent amount of thump through a Bassman or a B15, but their intonation is iffy at best and in a recording situation they're pretty undefined and vague. I've only ever used mine in recording situations where the bass part should really be a tuba.
Old 6th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
That strikes me as odd, since guitars don't have a low B string.
Unless you're a George Van Eps fan or the like.......
Old 6th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
You are entirely correct. For a long time Dano made the only true Bari guitar.
Old 6th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I doubt it. For gigging, they're featherweight for 5 sets starting at 9 and they've got a decent amount of thump through a Bassman or a B15, but their intonation is iffy at best and in a recording situation they're pretty undefined and vague. I've only ever used mine in recording situations where the bass part should really be a tuba.
Not true. they were used a lot, often doubling a Fender or Bass Viol to add some kick to the part. The Wrecking Crew used them - they often ran 3 basses, and they were pretty common in the South during the '50s. Duane Eddy's "twangy" sound featured the Dano Baritone. Dano beat Fender by about 5-6 years - anything with a bari guitar you hear from the '50s is Dano.

"Thump" isn't what Dano basses are really strong at, although they can do it just fine through, say, a B-15. What Danos do well is TWANG. John Entwistle developed his tone on a Dano, which also inspired the creation of the Rotosound Swing Bass string set, since you could not get real Dano strings in England back then.

The intonation is just fine IF you know how to set them up, which often involves a wood file for the saddle, which also tilts.

You should have heard Harvey Brooks on his Dano. I missed him with Dylan but saw him a bunch of times with other people in NYC in the mid '60s. Big fat guy with a little bitty Dano shorthorn. Switched to a Fender for Electric Flag.
Old 6th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrison0054 View Post
I'm not a bass player, more guitar and keys. I had a friend give me a bass guitar supposed to be a super cheap model. Vantage VS-695B. It had this cheap pot metal Gibson style bridge that was lifting up, actually the metal was bending, it was missing a tuner, and the neck and frets needed some work. I wanted a bass for recording so I took it in to a reputable shop that had a luthier that was also a full time bass player in several bands. We decided on the replacement hardware, he did a fret job, installed the parts, and did a set up. The bass plays great, he said it ended up playing better than his own bass ( I think they just tell us that to keep us happy). He said he loved the sound of it, and the wood and fit and finish was very good. Explained to me it was maid in Japan and was considered a decent sounding bass, except for the cheap hardware. I use it now, in my recordings, there are probably several million better basses but, in my hands this bass works just fine for my needs. Total cost under $500.00.
You didn't show the neck joint. Is it a real neck through? If so, those are pretty cool.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
You didn't show the neck joint. Is it a real neck through? If so, those are pretty cool.
I wish but, no It's a bolt on neck.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not true. they were used a lot, often doubling a Fender or Bass Viol to add some kick to the part. The Wrecking Crew used them - they often ran 3 basses, and they were pretty common in the South during the '50s. Duane Eddy's "twangy" sound featured the Dano Baritone. Dano beat Fender by about 5-6 years - anything with a bari guitar you hear from the '50s is Dano.

"Thump" isn't what Dano basses are really strong at, although they can do it just fine through, say, a B-15. What Danos do well is TWANG. John Entwistle developed his tone on a Dano, which also inspired the creation of the Rotosound Swing Bass string set, since you could not get real Dano strings in England back then.

The intonation is just fine IF you know how to set them up, which often involves a wood file for the saddle, which also tilts.
I got my first one when I was 15, so I'm familiar.

There either must be something missing from the Roto story, or Entwistle drilled out his tuners, or...? Rotos on an unaltered Danelectro or Silvertone would be impossible.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless you're a George Van Eps fan or the like.......
George's 7th string was tuned to A.
📝 Reply