The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What’s your favorite compressor for bloom and sustain?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What’s your favorite compressor for bloom and sustain?

Multi effects boxes are fine too. The unit would be mostly used for DI recording through a mixing board also, so that’s a consideration.

I mostly play clean electric guitar, and am missing the Bloom and sustain I used to get from my Tonelab Le (RIP) , something about that hard attack and Bloom, with almost infinite sustain, that’s my playing style.

It would be great to find a multi effects unit that had these attributes, along with respectable tremolo and octave sounds. The thing about the ToneLab was that it had a blend knob for its effects, mixing the clean sound with the effected sound, I find this Feature missing on quite A few units. I don’t mind buying a pedal that only does bloom and sustain if it’s well done, as that’s the basis of my sound.

Any suggestions?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When you say “bloom”, do you want a compressor with a soft pillow like attack? Or do you want volume swells with an ambient tail?(delay or reverb).
Old 2 weeks ago
Origin Effects Cali 76 has both attack and release controls. That's what you'll need for control of hard attack with bloom. A longer attack time allows the transient through for a sharp front end. Longer release will allow a sustained chord to "bloom." I don't own Cali 76, but friend has it and I use it a lot at his studio. It's not cheap, but it's a quality piece, on par with some of the mid-grade to better HW studio comps I've used.

Another I've used that works well, and you can pick up cheap, is the DBX one-knob-squeezer, 163X with the Hi-Z input and input level control. You can usually find them from 60 to 100 bucks. They are surprisingly good for the money in limited circumstances. Great for bloom, bu they can flatten out the attack, as there is no attack control. Attack time is auto, input dependent, at 15ms for 10bd down to 3ms for 30 db input level, fast enough to take most of the life out of guitar attack.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
When you say “bloom”, do you want a compressor with a soft pillow like attack? Or do you want volume swells with an ambient tail?(delay or reverb).
No, the attack is almost pluck like, but yes, after the initial string attack the sound Swells in volume and Sustains for a while. When I think ambient, I usually think reverb, but this is just Like a sustaining Chord or note, just clean guitar, no effects.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Origin Effects Cali 76 has both attack and release controls. That's what you'll need for control of hard attack with bloom. A longer attack time allows the transient through for a sharp front end. Longer release will allow a sustained chord to "bloom." I don't own Cali 76, but friend has it and I use it a lot at his studio. It's not cheap, but it's a quality piece, on par with some of the mid-grade to better HW studio comps I've used.

Another I've used that works well, and you can pick up cheap, is the DBX one-knob-squeezer, 163X with the Hi-Z input and input level control. You can usually find them from 60 to 100 bucks. They are surprisingly good for the money in limited circumstances. Great for bloom, bu they can flatten out the attack, as there is no attack control. Attack time is auto, input dependent, at 15ms for 10bd down to 3ms for 30 db input level, fast enough to take most of the life out of guitar attack.
Ah, cool, thank you sir. I’ll look into those. Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
No, the attack is almost pluck like, but yes, after the initial string attack the sound Swells in volume and Sustains for a while. When I think ambient, I usually think reverb, but this is just Like a sustaining Chord or note, just clean guitar, no effects.
Awesome. Got it.

I second the Cali 76. Empress is nice too.

Basically a compressor with a variable attack and release fits the bill
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post
Awesome. Got it.

I second the Cali 76. Empress is nice too.

Basically a compressor with a variable attack and release fits the bill
Ok great, I’ll look into the Empress as well. I’ve been using the MXR Super Comp into a Tube amp for recording, the MXR has gotten so noisy over the years, it’s beyond the charming point now. I’ve also moved to direct guitar recording, making the MXR impossible to use.

My other interest was the Keeley workstation, the white box with tone saturation and Overdrive circuit. I’m just not too sure if it’s the ticket for direct recording, but fits the bill for my desired sound. And lastly, I thoughT the Boss GT100 might be great for what I’m doing now dI recording wise, but so many mixed reviews on the unit.

Thanks for your help guys. Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You can get it with a boss cs3 but the real winner here is the Demeter optocompulator.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I like the Xotic SP. Clean, quiet, adjustable, and gobs of makeup gain.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Diamond Compressor or Comp Jr is a very nice and organic opto. Great sustain and smooth.

For “bloom” you might try a reverb unit with adjustable pre-delay, if I’m correct in understanding what you mean.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I thought that the Greer Fish Press did the bloom/sustain thing pretty well, for something inexpensive.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
I like the Xotic SP. Clean, quiet, adjustable, and gobs of makeup gain.
Also has the parallel compression which some other pedals have where you don't have to compress the full signal. Powerful. Other ones to look at:

Summit TLA-50 - rack mount tube leveler that I use for direct.
Keeley Compressor Pro - I played it at NAMM when it came out and sounds amazing.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear