The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How good a guitar do I need?
Old 10th June 2020
Here for the gear

How good a guitar do I need?

Hi All

I am going to record music using an electric guitar. My current guitar is all chanky so I need to buy a new one.

I will likely never play it on stage or even play it through an amp - I'm just going to record it through an interface.

Given that, will the quality of the guitar make a big difference to the recording? I was thinking about buying a relatively expensive one to get a pleasing powerful and also warm sound but can I just use my computer to create the good sound?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers

Your Dog Is Boring
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear

If you want it to sound decent, then:
[a] it must be a decent guitar.
[b] the player has to be decent as well...
Old 10th June 2020
Gear Maniac

What type of guitar do you like and what's your budget?

From what you described, an Epiphone Les Paul or a cheap Fender strat would do - depending on the type of guitar you like. I have a nice stable of guitars today, but I got a lot of mileage out of used Epi Les Pauls and Mexican Fender strats and putting new pickups in them.
Old 10th June 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks Mikhael

The second part might be a problem

Any advice on how much a decent guitar costs?
Old 10th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
What type of guitar do you like and what's your budget?

From what you described, an Epiphone Les Paul or a cheap Fender strat would do - depending on the type of guitar you like. I have a nice stable of guitars today, but I got a lot of mileage out of used Epi Les Pauls and Mexican Fender strats and putting new pickups in them.
Thanks for your reply smallstonefan

I have a budget of up to £1k but Id happily spend a lot less than that. I dont have a lot of experience of guitars - I currently have an old chanky strat type that has Transfer written on it - its easy to play - ease of use is very important - the guitar I have has a small c neck and is comfortable to play. I dont care about brands and looks really. Ive read that strat shapes are the easiest to play sitting down. How cheap can I go and get a good sounding guitar would you say?

Cheers
Old 11th June 2020
Deleted dc388e1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Dog Boring View Post
Hi All

I am going to record music using an electric guitar. My current guitar is all chanky so I need to buy a new one.

I will likely never play it on stage or even play it through an amp - I'm just going to record it through an interface.

Given that, will the quality of the guitar make a big difference to the recording? I was thinking about buying a relatively expensive one to get a pleasing powerful and also warm sound but can I just use my computer to create the good sound?

Cheers

Your Dog Is Boring
If you're never going to play through an amp, it probably doesn't matter much what kind of guitar you buy. I certainly wouldn't spend a lot of money on one.
Was it Keith Richards who described the guitar amp as 'the other half of rock 'n' roll'?
The thought of playing an electric guitar through anything other than a decent valve amp sets my teeth on edge, but I recognise I'm in a declining majority, perhaps even the minority nowadays
I politely suggest you can not use your computer to create 'the good sound', and even more politely ask you not to try. Budget for a small valve amp too, if possible. A lot of them have good connectivity these days, so you won't have to mic them up if you don't want to.

My stock advice in this situation is to play as many guitars as you can, and buy the one which moves you most. That's obviously going to be difficult to impossible right now, so instead I suggest you wait until music stores reopen, if they have not already where you live. I do feel it's important to play a guitar before you buy it. This seems to be something a lot of people overlook...

Good suggestions already made on what guitars to try. Epiphones and mid priced Fenders are always a good starting point. Any guitar around the £400-500 mark will be worth a try. For your purposes, I think spending any more is a waste of money. A good guitar needs a good amp to bring out it's best.
If your budget stretches to £1000; £400 on a guitar, $500 on an amp and £100 spare to have the guitar professionally setup is how I would split my coinage.

Try as many Squiers as you can. A lot of them are very good now, although they'll definitely need setting up to get them to their best. They'll leave you with more cash to spend on an amp, or in the pub, should they ever reopen.

Happy hunting.

Old 11th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for your reply smallstonefan

I have a budget of up to £1k but Id happily spend a lot less than that. I dont have a lot of experience of guitars - I currently have an old chanky strat type that has Transfer written on it - its easy to play - ease of use is very important - the guitar I have has a small c neck and is comfortable to play. I dont care about brands and looks really. Ive read that strat shapes are the easiest to play sitting down. How cheap can I go and get a good sounding guitar would you say?

Cheers
First let me say guitars are a very personal thing so I can't tell you what to get, I can only relate my story.

For that budget, here's what I would (and have done).

1. Pick up a Made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster. Not a squire, a real Fender strat. I've seen these consistently go for less than $500 USD shipped on ebay (in the US at least) and you can get them in all sorts of colors. I'd try to find one locally that I could play, but I have ordered online from reputable sellers.

2. Play the guitar through your amp or software. Make notes - what do you like, not like? For example, is it too bright, or not bright enough? Is there a certain artist's sound that you are inspired by?

3. Call up Lindy Fralin of Fralin pickups and tell him about your guitar and what you would like the pickups to add/subtract from the current sound. He'll ask you some questions and he'll help you figure out what you need. If it's not a stock pickup, he'll custom wind you one! I have a custom pickup made to the style of an early Van Halen pickup that Lindy did for me and I have it in an orange fleck MIM strat. It sounds absolutely fantastic - if you're into that Van Halen sound of course.

You can get a full set of Fralin strat pickups for under $300 USD.

4. Purchase a set of Sperzel locking tuners. The Fender MIM tuners suck - Sperzels are Cadillacs! They lock so changing strings is a breeze, and they hold your tune rock solid. I also feel that I get a little better sustain because they add a bit of mass to the headstock (the non-aluminum versions at least). A set will run you about $80. I have them on just about every guitar I own short of my 1963 Fender Strat, and trust me when I tell you I even gave serious thought to putting them on that.

So the guitar, the pickups, and the Sperzels will run you about $900 USD and then...

5. I'd pay a good tech to install everything and give me a killer setup. Should run less than $200 USD for the work.

You'd have a fantastic, reliable guitar tweaked to your style and taste for under $1,000 pounds.

If you have any questions or thoughts please let me know.
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi All

Cheers

Your Dog Is Boring
If, and you do sound as though you like the one you have,,? So are you using any FX's or Plugins? also what interface? If you're just going Plain Jane into you're interface a different guitars not going to change much. Get some FX's and your Mojo, then the guitar you have will seem as new. Believe me,,, I've so many, it may be against the law..?
Attached Thumbnails
How good a guitar do I need?-untitled.jpg  
Old 11th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofspain View Post
If you're never going to play through an amp, it probably doesn't matter much what kind of guitar you buy. I certainly wouldn't spend a lot of money on one.
Was it Keith Richards who described the guitar amp as 'the other half of rock 'n' roll'?
The thought of playing an electric guitar through anything other than a decent valve amp sets my teeth on edge, but I recognise I'm in a declining majority, perhaps even the minority nowadays
I politely suggest you can not use your computer to create 'the good sound', and even more politely ask you not to try. Budget for a small valve amp too, if possible. A lot of them have good connectivity these days, so you won't have to mic them up if you don't want to.

My stock advice in this situation is to play as many guitars as you can, and buy the one which moves you most. That's obviously going to be difficult to impossible right now, so instead I suggest you wait until music stores reopen, if they have not already where you live. I do feel it's important to play a guitar before you buy it. This seems to be something a lot of people overlook...

Good suggestions already made on what guitars to try. Epiphones and mid priced Fenders are always a good starting point. Any guitar around the £400-500 mark will be worth a try. For your purposes, I think spending any more is a waste of money. A good guitar needs a good amp to bring out it's best.
If your budget stretches to £1000; £400 on a guitar, $500 on an amp and £100 spare to have the guitar professionally setup is how I would split my coinage.

Try as many Squiers as you can. A lot of them are very good now, although they'll definitely need setting up to get them to their best. They'll leave you with more cash to spend on an amp, or in the pub, should they ever reopen.

Happy hunting.

Thanks King of Spain

I know what you mean - it seems wrong to plug straight into a computer but I live in a flat so its really my only option I think.

Ideally I would wait for the guitar shops to reopen but I want to make the recordings before my coronavirus furlough ends

Thanks again for all you advice - very helpful

Old 11th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
First let me say guitars are a very personal thing so I can't tell you what to get, I can only relate my story.

For that budget, here's what I would (and have done).

1. Pick up a Made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster. Not a squire, a real Fender strat. I've seen these consistently go for less than $500 USD shipped on ebay (in the US at least) and you can get them in all sorts of colors. I'd try to find one locally that I could play, but I have ordered online from reputable sellers.

2. Play the guitar through your amp or software. Make notes - what do you like, not like? For example, is it too bright, or not bright enough? Is there a certain artist's sound that you are inspired by?

3. Call up Lindy Fralin of Fralin pickups and tell him about your guitar and what you would like the pickups to add/subtract from the current sound. He'll ask you some questions and he'll help you figure out what you need. If it's not a stock pickup, he'll custom wind you one! I have a custom pickup made to the style of an early Van Halen pickup that Lindy did for me and I have it in an orange fleck MIM strat. It sounds absolutely fantastic - if you're into that Van Halen sound of course.

You can get a full set of Fralin strat pickups for under $300 USD.

4. Purchase a set of Sperzel locking tuners. The Fender MIM tuners suck - Sperzels are Cadillacs! They lock so changing strings is a breeze, and they hold your tune rock solid. I also feel that I get a little better sustain because they add a bit of mass to the headstock (the non-aluminum versions at least). A set will run you about $80. I have them on just about every guitar I own short of my 1963 Fender Strat, and trust me when I tell you I even gave serious thought to putting them on that.

So the guitar, the pickups, and the Sperzels will run you about $900 USD and then...

5. I'd pay a good tech to install everything and give me a killer setup. Should run less than $200 USD for the work.

You'd have a fantastic, reliable guitar tweaked to your style and taste for under $1,000 pounds.

If you have any questions or thoughts please let me know.
Thanks Smallstonefan

Very helpful - I'm on the other side of the pond but I will look into everything you've suggested - I live close to a guitar shop currently closed but once opened Ill ask them about the pick ups and tuning lockers

Cheers brother

Old 11th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
If, and you do sound as though you like the one you have,,? So are you using any FX's or Plugins? also what interface? If you're just going Plain Jane into you're interface a different guitars not going to change much. Get some FX's and your Mojo, then the guitar you have will seem as new. Believe me,,, I've so many, it may be against the law..?
Thanks Rick

My current guitar is probably about 35, 40 years old made in Korea - has name Transfer on it. Haven't changed the strings in about 25 years - goes out of tune quite quickly One of the knobs has disappeared into the body - its still there wobbling about just below the hole - dont know if that can be repaired

Maybe I can get my guitar repaired but dont know if it might be better just to buy a new guitar. I quite like the old girl but I dont really have anything to compare it to and my ear isn't very good in terms of things being in tune I'm afraid. I sometimes wonder if I buy a new guitar if I wont like it as much as it is actually in tune

Im not using anything just now - I used to use a 4 track cassette recorder thing but decided to record things now using my laptop - am buying a scarlett solo focusrite which comes with software

Your Mojo - is that software or just mojo?

Cheers
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi All

Given that, will the quality of the guitar make a big difference to the recording?
The "quality" of the guitar itself doesn't matter one iota. It just needs a straight neck and must be able to hold tune.

All you need is to buy one really good pickup for your current guitar, put the pickup in your favourite position* - and then put new strings on the guitar and give it a good setup.

This will take you at least 95% of the way to a "great guitar tone".

...on the internet you have all sorts of people claiming that "tone is in the guitar" - when in reality by far most of what you hear is the guitars pickups.

Any properly setup guitar with new strings and really good pickups is going to give you more than satisfactory tone for your recordings.

Pickup + setup + fret dressing = still less cost than buying a lower mid range guitar and still having to mod it to get it to sound great....

* If you have several pickup positions you play regularly, of course you'll need that number of pickups.
Old 11th June 2020
I've been fortunate enough to own a bunch of high end, quality guitars. Price does not necessarily equal quality or a good sound. A well playing instrument that sounds great can be had in your price range.

For bass, I can tell you I bought a '90s made in mexico p-bass standard. These were very inexpensive, I think I paid $300 USD for it. It played well, but didn't sound great until I swapped the pickup. All in, I have about $400 into it. It plays and sounds as good as any of the american ones now, and when I looked at an upgrade to a custom shop reissue, there seemed to be no sonic or playability benefit so its a keeper.
Old 11th June 2020
Gear Head

If the guitar you have is easy to play and you like it, and your going to plug it straight into your interface, then if possible take it to a guitar shop and get it set up. Costs a lot less than 1k and might get rid of all that clank.
Old 11th June 2020
Deleted dc388e1
Quote:

Ideally I would wait for the guitar shops to reopen but I want to make the recordings before my coronavirus furlough ends

Make hay while the sun shines...

Again regarding the amp, there are a good many affordable amps which have dummy loads, simulated cabinet outs, even USB connectivity. You'd be able to play 'silently' without bothering your neighbours, while still getting some of that amp magic.
I'm not an expert on who makes what, so a little research would be needed to see exactly what was on offer. If I were in your situation I'd give it some thought.

Hope you find what you're after.

Old 11th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Make hay while the sun shines...

Again regarding the amp, there are a good many affordable amps which have dummy loads, simulated cabinet outs, even USB connectivity. You'd be able to play 'silently' without bothering your neighbours, while still getting some of that amp magic.
I'm not an expert on who makes what, so a little research would be needed to see exactly what was on offer. If I were in your situation I'd give it some thought.

Hope you find what you're after.

Thanks King of Spain
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haven't changed the strings in about 25 years - goes out of tune quite quickly One of the knobs has disappeared into the body - its still there wobbling about just below the hole - dont know if that can be repaired

Maybe I can get my guitar repaired but dont know if it might be better just to buy a new guitar. I quite like the old girl but I dont really have anything to compare it to and my ear isn't very good in terms of things being in tune I'm afraid. I sometimes wonder if I buy a new guitar if I wont like it as much as it is actually in tune
If you haven't changed the strings in 25 years or 25 months or even 25 weeks... CHANGE THE STRINGS !!!

Then put a little graphite and vasoline in the nut slots and see how it does for tuning.

You say you like the feel of the guitar so maybe it's actually worth looking into fixing rather than spending hundreds or even a thousand dollars on a new guitar.

Take a picture and post it here so people can tell you what's up with it and how much it might take to fix it.

If it's a strat copy or something common a pickguard replacement may be quite easy but without knowing what you've got going on there it's impossible to make suggestions.
Old 11th June 2020
Deleted dc388e1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
If you haven't changed the strings in 25 years or 25 months or even 25 weeks... CHANGE THE STRINGS !!!

Then put a little graphite and vasoline in the nut slots and see how it does for tuning.

You say you like the feel of the guitar so maybe it's actually worth looking into fixing rather than spending hundreds or even a thousand dollars on a new guitar.

Take a picture and post it here so people can tell you what's up with it and how much it might take to fix it.

If it's a strat copy or something common a pickguard replacement may be quite easy but without knowing what you've got going on there it's impossible to make suggestions.
Sound advice, but there's no need to put vasoline in the nut slots - a little graphite will do.

You don't want vasoline that close to the playing area, as it will find it's way onto your fingers and then onto the strings. Greasy strings are - imo - a bad thing.

I do run a little vasoline under the string trees each time I change strings. It's a great help if you use the tremolo, although not really necessary if you don't. If you're feeling fancy, remove your string trees and sand off the burrs using 240/400/600 grit wet and dry paper.
I work in thirds. Divide a whole sheet into three strips. Divide a strip into three thirds, and fold a third 3 times to get a stiff but manageable (oo-er!) strip of sandpaper.
In my experience, the string trees are often the last place we look for sources of friction. If you've tried everything else and are still struggling with the vibrato arm returning to pitch, look to the trees!

Regarding the graphite - I take an HB pencil and 'scribble' liberally over the top of the nut (while the strings are removed) until the slots fill up with graphite dust. I then re-string - taking care not to knock all the dust out of the slots - and tune to pitch.
When it's nicely in tune, I rub the excess graphite off the top of the nut with a damp cloth or finger., and blow away any remaining dust which has accumulated on the fingerboard or headstock.

One caveat - all my guitars have bone nuts. Other compounds may take less kindly to being pencilled in. I've a feeling graphite will stain Tusq, although not iredeemably. P600 wet and dry will shift it. I generally avoid Tusq/Graphtech, and encourage my customers to do the same.

Apologies for driving so far off topic...

Old 12th June 2020
The guitar only needs to be enjoyable to play and have functional electronics. A cheap Squier, Epiphone, Yamaha etc is fine.

However to fix your own guitar would be pretty simple. New strings, there should be a thin nut that holds your volume pot in place and will have gone missing. Cost you less than a tenner.

Your DAW should have a tuner inbuilt, but you can also get cheap and free ones for your phone, or if necessary buy a cheap tuner pedal.

If your heart is set on a new axe then go to the store and try them out. The most important thing is that the instrument should inspire you to play more. Most of the time that isn't the most expensive instrument in the shop, but it usually won't be the cheapest one either. Look in the 500 range and you should be able to pick up a very nice instrument to get going with.
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah change the strings and see what you're actually working with. Might make all the difference.
Old 12th June 2020
Gear Addict

Your budget -- up to £1,000 -- is more than sufficient to get a very good guitar. The best deals are used guitars, but I'll stick to new prices for now.

For a new Fender I would look at the Player line. These are made in Mexico, but have been upgraded from the previous MIM Fenders. A brand new Player Strat or Player Tele will run you about £550. These are very solid guitars, more than decent.

For an extra £200 or so, you can look at the Fender Vintera lines. These are also made in Mexico but generally have nicer components and more vintage features than the Player models.

If you're not 100% what you want, I'd recommend that you get a Player Tele as they are simple but quite flexible guitars. Look for one used and save some money. I can't speak for used prices in the UK, but I would think you could find something used in the £400 range.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sound advice, but there's no need to put vasoline in the nut slots - a little graphite will do.

You don't want vasoline that close to the playing area, as it will find it's way onto your fingers and then onto the strings. Greasy strings are - imo - a bad thing.
Agreed, you definitely don't want vasoline on your strings.

I should have been more clear I guess, I'm talking about just the smallest dot of it mixed with graphite and that's more than enough to do all six slots.

Should be such a tiny amount that cleanup after is basically just precautionary. You shouldn't be filling up the slots with it or anything like that.
Old 12th June 2020
Deleted dc388e1
Quote:
Agreed, you definitely don't want vasoline on your strings.

I should have been more clear I guess, I'm talking about just the smallest dot of it mixed with graphite and that's more than enough to do all six slots.

Should be such a tiny amount that cleanup after is basically just precautionary. You shouldn't be filling up the slots with it or anything like that.
You don't want or need any vaseline on your nut. It's 100% unnecessary, be it a tiny amount or a giant glob of the stuff.
The graphite alone does the job, which is why graphtech/tusq style nuts and saddles exist.

That said, a mix of graphite and vaseline might be a good idea on your string trees.
Conventional wisdom (as I learned it, back in the day) advised the use of vaseline on the string trees, as it's a big ask to expect graphite to defy gravity and stick to the underside. You can get a little to stick, but not enough - imo - to be useful.
In nearly 2 decades on the job, I honestly can't believe I've never thought to mix the two

My Strat is due a restring. This time, I'm doubling up...

Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Another thing you need to think about, is the fretboard radius, including Compound radius, I don't know how advanced of a player you are and or if you want to be, don't know if you just play basic guitar chords, play any on the upper register of the fretboard,,,,? you'll want to know this, to future proof. Also if you get to a Music Store, ask if they have a Tech. I took a 150 mile trip 10 years ago, just to buy another Fender Tele,,, and GC was the only game in town that day, No Tech, they didn't even know what one was,,, They didn't have any tools, so I could do a setup on a Tele I was messing with, Meanwhile, theirs like 6 or 7 guys doing out of tune hammer-ons, cranked.WTF! They lost out on a $1,500.00 sale. I was so pissed I laughed all the way home, and grabbed one of my (not going to say how many guitars,you'll think I'm a hoarder) I love them all, looking at 8 just setting here in my living-room and then theirs my bedroom, then my studio, half a block away.
Sorry for rambling, but read up on fretboard radius.
Old 12th June 2020
Gear Addict

$500 for a guitar, from Fender, Yamaha, Epiphone, whatever. Use the other $500 for lessons to get your playing closer to where you want it to be.

Any new guitar from one of the big companies will be decent, and probably a step up from the old guitar you have (and I love old guitars. I have a '61 Gretsch).

Also, if you really want to spend more money look at Reverend guitars. I personally love them.

Also, change the strings a couple times a year at the very least.

Last edited by standup; 12th June 2020 at 02:57 AM..
Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for the replies so far
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Lately I've see multiple videos of "Box opening, sight unseen" guitars at 100 bucks that real Pros seem to think are very good, with the greatest cost cutting in hardware, which is replaceable. The most common complaint is tuners and we can still get brand name quality tuners for well under 50 bucks. All the other "cheapness" is apparently passable and at worst just won't last a long time. The major point is the wood working is superb and that's all that really has to last anyway since parts can be replaced and/or upgraded piecemeal at your leisure and desire.

Here's one example....

Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thanks

Here's a photo of the sunken dial - another one is loose but guess that can be easily fixed

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
How good a guitar do I need?-img_2066.jpg  
Old 12th June 2020
Deleted dc388e1
Quote:
Thanks

Here's a photo of the sunken dial - another one is loose but guess that can be easily fixed

Cheers
If the other is just loose tightening it shouldn't be a problem. Be careful when you remove the knob you dont put excess force on the shaft of the pot. Finger tight is often good enough for a short term fix, if you don't have the correct spanner handy. Alternatively, pliers can be used with caution.

The sunken pot looks like it should be easy enough to retrieve. Again, if you haven't got the right tool (needle nose pliers) you may be able to hold the guitar upside down and gently shake it back into it's hole. Unless you have a suitable nut, it's probaly best left where it it for now.

How about some photos of the rest of the guitar? I'm kinda intrigued to see how 'chanky' (not a word I'm familiar with, but nontheless descriptive) it is. If you like it, perhaps all you'll need is a decent setup. While there are few things on a guitar which cannot be fixed, there comes a point where fixing it will cost more than replacing it.
How does the neck look/feel? Are there any signs of twisting/warping?

Old 12th June 2020
Gear Nut
I own 6 electrics, and five of them cost between $300 and $600 US. There are definitely some great guitars out there, and a lot of good suggestions in the thread already. I'd only say this:

I have owned I think four non-USA strats, some Fender, some Squier. I've probably played a hundred of them in stores. The quality on these guitars, at least in the early 2000s, was really inconsistent. Some of them were absolute garbage, many of them passable, and a few were just like "yeah, this is it.." as soon as I picked them up. Those few I bought . My point is that unless quality control has really improved, I would be hesitant to buy one I couldn't play first.

Second, +1 for only needing one good pickup. My Squier HM strat played great from the factory but didn't sound fantastic, until I swapped in an EMG pickup set. For $600 total including the pickups, that axe was a steal.
📝 Reply