The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Direct into guitar cab with no amp
Old 27th May 2020
Here for the gear

Direct into guitar cab with no amp

is it possible to use a guitar cab without a guitar head?

I have some outboard rack gear that i would like to use and bypass the tone controls/etc of an amp head. also i don't have an amp head lol.

I have tried plugging it in directly and it ends up being very quiet and unusable.

alternatively, is there a good choice for a guitar amp head that only has a volume control on it?

can i just use any mono tube amplifier? or are there some impedance related issues i need to figure out?
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

There are so many things to unpack here....

SO you have a guitar cab but no amp head?

and you are trying to plug a line level signal straight into a speaker? That wont work. I mean think about it for more than a second

You will need to get either a clean guitar amp head to power the speaker, like a fender head of some sort. Or I suppose a PA to drive the speaker if you want to be stubborn about it for some reason. But I hesitate to tell you this, because you will need to match the ohms and wattage to the speaker. Just check the speaker out, and hopefully its labeled.

Good luck my friend.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

You will need a power amp to drive a speaker cab. There are power amps specially for guitar use (tube and solid state). Basically any sort of PA power amp will work but I'd use some sort of power amp for guitar. Like lossleader mentioned you have to match the impedance (ohms) of the power amp and your speaker cab.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac
Bad choice of forum name...
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Head

What is the rack gear that you want to plug into the speaker?

If it’s more than one thing at a time, you will also need a mixer. I suspect you really need/want a PA...

Guitar cab speakers are low grade speakers. Even if you take the amp head eq/tone out of the equation and find a totally clean “volume only” head or PA mixer/amp, it’s still going to sound like it’s coming out of a guitar cab.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Im sorry to chime back in here, but this OP question still boggles my mind.

From what I can deduce, OP is inexperienced and prob kind of broke? If thats the case a good quality PA setup might be a bridge too far, and I don't know why exactly they would want a full range PA to... I guess reamp something? Play a guitar sim out loud? Many unanswered questions here.

Anyway what i am trying to get at is probably... just a set of studio monitors would be totally fine for OP if they don't already have them. Something like a pair of JBL 305P MKII 5" or PreSonus Eris E35 3" if on tight budget. Yamaha hs8" get almost as loud as a some smaller PAs too.

There, I think that was a good mix of condescension and genuine helpfulness.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosemipro View Post
is it possible to use a guitar cab without a guitar head?

I have some outboard rack gear that i would like to use and bypass the tone controls/etc of an amp head. also i don't have an amp head lol.

I have tried plugging it in directly and it ends up being very quiet and unusable.

alternatively, is there a good choice for a guitar amp head that only has a volume control on it?

can i just use any mono tube amplifier? or are there some impedance related issues i need to figure out?

First you have to amplify the guitar signal with something to be able to drive the speaker in the cabinet. A DI will not do that. It takes an amp. WHich is why guitar amps have an amp either built in to a combo unit or separately stacked on top.
There are numerous options to amplify and send a guitar signal to a cabinet.
Take a look at the VOX series of MV50 amps. They are only a couple hundred $$ and sound amazing. Small package, small foot print, and you can either cable out of the VOX to your cabinet or to your DAW input. CHoose the one that fits your sonic needs.
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear

thanks for your help guys. after doing more research i learned what "speaker level" signal is. i had only heard of line and mic level, thought line was the loud one, but speaker level actually is.

i have a tube preamp/equalizer (modified blonder tongue audio baton) that i thought i could maybe use as a replacement as an amp head. Doesn't work, apparently lol.

the reason i don't want to use an amp head is because i want to eliminate extraneous circuits such as tone controls. I do in fact want to use this in a reamping situation, as editing my recorded guitars are much easier to do before any distortion is applied.

thanks for all the help!

To anyone with the same question as me:

you need a device with speaker level output. most rack outboard gear is either line level or mic level which is much too low.
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear

sorry friends, not a troll. genuinely ignorant. guess i fell asleep that day at kindergarten where we learn about speaker level signal lol.

also thank you tiny that looks like a fantastic starting point.

im leaning in towards a peavey 6505 piranha, since it seems the tone control is essentially bypassed when turned clockwise.

any tips on bypassing eq circuits, or other ways to get a "bypassed" tone out of a tone knob?
Old 29th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosemipro View Post
any tips on bypassing eq circuits, or other ways to get a "bypassed" tone out of a tone knob?

All guitar amps have an equalization curve to them because that's what sounds good. If you want no tone shaping whatsoever, you can run the signal out of your audio interface and into a power amp. That will drive your guitar speaker....

Electro Harmonics sells small amps:
https://www.ehx.com/products/5mm

Or, you could get something like this:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...5-wpc--300-380

-tINY

Old 30th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

All guitar amps have an equalization curve to them because that's what sounds good. If you want no tone shaping whatsoever, you can run the signal out of your audio interface and into a power amp. That will drive your guitar speaker....

Electro Harmonics sells small amps:
https://www.ehx.com/products/5mm

Or, you could get something like this:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...5-wpc--300-380

-tINY

yes tiny!! that is exactly what im looking for!

going to go for the higher watt model though i think
Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum

i have a celestion seventy 80 12 inch speaker, is rated for 80 watts, 8-16 ohms should be good to go.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear