The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Really unusual stamp on MIJ Tele Neck
Old 26th May 2020
Here for the gear

Really unusual stamp on MIJ Tele Neck

Hi everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a vintage MIJ Tele. It's listed as a Fender TN-70 Thinline Telecaster Reissue MIJ 1985/86. I know it is notoriously hard to nail down dates on these tele's but I'm doing my best to do my research. I would love to have an 85 as it would be a birth year tele.

Now for the question...Has anyone ever come across this Japanese Character stamp on the neck of a MIJ Tele? If so, is it consistent with that era of telecaster? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Really unusual stamp on MIJ Tele Neck-a0d3wi7uqpspvsngh8re.jpg  
Old 13th June 2020
Solid State Logic

If you are relying on it being an 85/86 from an A serial bridge plate it is highly unlikely to be an 85/86. A serial bridge plates were used well into the 90s. Genuine A serials on a guitar are very unusual, unless it is a 1996 Crafted in Japan after the switch from Fuji-Gen to Dyna-Gakki factories. Even then that’s a stamp on the neck.

I have a ‘93 TN70 with an A plate. These guitars didn’t have the serial number under “Made in Japan”, and neither does my ‘89 TL69BFL. The date is always written on the heel end of the neck, which isn’t shown in your picture. The guitars I have from ‘96 onwards all have serials below “Made/Crafted in Japan”. Earlier MIJ guitars often had the serial on the headstock (common from 84-89) or stamped on the neck plate (JV and SQ from 82-84).

Lovely guitar, but probably a little older than described. Picture of both below with their Fender Japan stablemates. I have a thing for them...
Attached Thumbnails
Really unusual stamp on MIJ Tele Neck-d07ed3ff-9186-4685-9c50-5d15ed185df6.jpg  
Old 13th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Lovely guitar, but probably a little older than described. Picture of both below with their Fender Japan stablemates. I have a thing for them...
Thanks so much for your response, Jim. As you mentioned the bridge plate is meaningless on a MIJ Fender so I am trying to date it in other ways. The stamp of a Japanese character really threw me for a loop though. I can find anything or anyone who knows anything about it.

As far as I am aware I don't think it can be any older than 85 because they weren't in production before then. Seems that the date of this guitar is just a guess and a shot in the dark.

Thanks.
Old 13th June 2020
Solid State Logic

It should be written on the heel end of the neck. The pic you posted had the neck off, if the seller is claiming it’s an 85 and you want an 85 then there’s your way to check. If the seller doesn’t want to send it then it’s likely not to be.

FWIW I’ve not seen too many TN70 that age, TL52 and TL62 more common, under the guise of not that many true 85/86 MIJ guitars about.
Old 15th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
It should be written on the heel end of the neck. The pic you posted had the neck off, if the seller is claiming it’s an 85 and you want an 85 then there’s your way to check. If the seller doesn’t want to send it then it’s likely not to be.

FWIW I’ve not seen too many TN70 that age, TL52 and TL62 more common, under the guise of not that many true 85/86 MIJ guitars about.
Thanks, Jim, I appreciate your responses. I will be asking about photos of the end of the neck as well as trying to get photos of the selector switch. From my research, it seems that if it is an 85 it should have an open selector switch and not the cheaper closed switches that were introduced in 87(?).
Old 16th June 2020
Solid State Logic

If it really is an '85 then the pots are the least concern. Most likely changed anyway. It's all about the original neck.... check for the pencil date right on the heel end.
Old 17th June 2020
Solid State Logic

And as if by serendipity, today there’s a post about a genuine A serial here
https://m.*********************20070...composer=false
Old 18th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
And as if by serendipity, today there’s a post about a genuine A serial here
https://m.*********************20070...composer=false
Thanks again for all your replies. The link doesn't work though. Hopefully, the selector switch hasn't been changed and there is a date on the end of the neck.
Old 18th June 2020
Solid State Logic

Dead helpful facebook group called "Japanese Fender and Squier guitars MIJ CIJ". Worth a nose as this week a couple of A serials got posted
Old 11th August 2020
Solid State Logic

UPDATE

They are out there but hard to find. Just picked this one up, neck date Feb 85
Attached Thumbnails
Really unusual stamp on MIJ Tele Neck-6ec4c556-309a-49c0-938c-94c7c6fe126f.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The EX means it wasn't a domestic model but meant for export.
This is from a 85 build thinline Telecaster:

Another one:

I like to watch these old Fender Japan catalogues:

https://brochures.yokochou.com/en_in...ml#FENDERJAPAN

I'm a bassplayer and share the obsession for Fender Japan, although I own some vintage and some not so vintage US Fender basses. The quality control is incredible good on these instruments and I love the necks.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear