The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Two Notes Torpedo Captor X
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Maniac
The Two Notes Torpedo Captor X

So the Captor X has been coming up on my youtube page a fair bit.

Anyone own it? How does it compare to other loadboxs or a digital solution? Be interested to know.
Old 27th May 2020
I'm also curious because this unit seems perfect for me. The UA Ox is too bulky and the price is ridiculous for what it does. The Captor X seems perfect.i also like that you can load impulses into it.
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear
Rhett Shull just posted a review of the Captor X vs. the OX box here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQoPxwl7Q4

His big issue is the on-board reverb, but if it's for recording, who doesn't have a selection of reverb, either hardware or plugins?

Price is a lot better too.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Yeah im curious. I picked up a Friyette Power Station which is similar and was the best deal at the time vs Ox. The Captor looks like an even better deal.

I love the Friyette tho no regrets. Great attenuator too.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Rhett is smoking his own poopy cigars on the reverb... that’s not what this box is doing at all... if you’re using it at a live gig, you’ve already got a reverb for that... if you’re using it for recording... you’ve already got 10000 reverbs for that

Besides, it’s the exact same tech that anybody familiar with TwoNotes has been using for years... Rhett seems brand new to the wall of sound universe

It’s almost like he had to say something poopy lol

I agree with him about the weird attenuation level steps and everything else
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Rhett is smoking his own poopy cigars on the reverb... that’s not what this box is doing at all... if you’re using it at a live gig, you’ve already got a reverb for that... if you’re using it for recording... you’ve already got 10000 reverbs for that

Besides, it’s the exact same tech that anybody familiar with TwoNotes has been using for years... Rhett seems brand new to the wall of sound universe

Yeap. That box looks like a cut-down Live box of theirs. Don't see what is the big deal there
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Yeap. That box looks like a cut-down Live box of theirs. Don't see what is the big deal there
Yah... almost enough features to be interesting to me... im torn lol

But they sure sent a lot out to the youtube nation to review... which is cool, but, it’s just the same old tech repackaged in a different form factor...

I love the company though!
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Fwiw, you might be more flexible (and get along yet a little cheaper) with the plain Captor 8 Ohms and an external IR loader (such as the AMT Pangaea, the Mooer Radar or whatever), depending on what features you really need.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yah... almost enough features to be interesting to me... im torn lol

But they sure sent a lot out to the youtube nation to review... which is cool, but, it’s just the same old tech repackaged in a different form factor...

I love the company though!
Yes, with fewer IO options and less flexible loading
Its also Captor and CABM in one box
Old 28th May 2020
From my perspective, I don't want some big rack unit so the small footprint is great. They released a bunch of smaller half-measure products before, but none that simply allow you to run your amp into your daw with speaker sim built with no latency.

The price point makes it sensible, unlike the OX.

The Shuhr Reactive IR also seems great but I'd rather have a software interface on my PC for assigning things etc.
Old 28th May 2020
Quote:

He had to say something negative because he has a free UAD OX sitting in shot of every video, provided by UAD for free, and he doesn't want to burn bridges with UAD. To be fair to him, I'm sure the UAD reverbs are better - but as you say, reverb is the one thing we all have covered for recording.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
He had to say something negative because he has a free UAD OX sitting in shot of every video, provided by UAD for free, and he doesn't want to burn bridges with UAD. To be fair to him, I'm sure the UAD reverbs are better - but as you say, reverb is the one thing we all have covered for recording.
Ha... I’m just busting his chops... I thought his review was really even handed
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Maniac
Cheers for the replies.

Listening to the demos, I cant hear improvement over the other load box options, or a Kemper for that matter. Seems like there's a few more outboard options, that's about it really. An SPDIF option would make it more interesting, especially at that price.

If any owners want to tell me different, I'm happy to hear it.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Interesting.. I just bought a bad cat hot cat 15r hand wired head and 1x12 cab today and am looking for a silent recording solution as well a headphone amp for playing.

Who has recorded through one of these as I too have been bombarded with YouTube suggestions but the cats I bought the amp from thought the Suhr reactive IR was better by a noticeable amount. Not sure if that was marketing patter or something real?

Wiggy
Old 3rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Interesting.. I just bought a bad cat hot cat 15r hand wired head and 1x12 cab today and am looking for a silent recording solution as well a headphone amp for playing.

Who has recorded through one of these as I too have been bombarded with YouTube suggestions but the cats I bought the amp from thought the Suhr reactive IR was better by a noticeable amount. Not sure if that was marketing patter or something real?

Wiggy
I have the 2Nots Live and 2Notes Torpedo CAB (x2). Also 2xTorpedo Reload. Had a Studio, but other then other IOs it did not offer any more then what I already had, at a higher price.
I has a Suhr Reactive Load IR here for about a month (an acquaintance was selling it) and although it is a very good box, there was nothing it did better then the 2Notes. And 2 Notes integrates with the WOS software very well. I returned it.
IMHO 2Notes offers a much better integrated solution with an excellent sound.
I also disagree with Rhett Shull's review, the UA unit was less versatile and in no way was reverb better then whats in the 2Notes. It generates some distortion when driven, but that's not what I want out of a Load-box with IRs. That's what the amp is doing.
Just my .02$
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence T View Post
Cheers for the replies.

Listening to the demos, I cant hear improvement over the other load box options, or a Kemper for that matter. Seems like there's a few more outboard options, that's about it really. An SPDIF option would make it more interesting, especially at that price.

If any owners want to tell me different, I'm happy to hear it.
Torpedo Live has SPDIF.
Old 6th June 2020
Gear Maniac
Listening to the demos, there's nothing that screams at me to ditch my current setup and go and buy one. But if I had a collection of amps, I'd definitely consider it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear