The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Carlsbro Stingray Vs. Lab Series Vs. Some other clean SS amp that's worthwhile
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear

Carlsbro Stingray Vs. Lab Series Vs. Some other clean SS amp that's worthwhile

I'm after a nice big clean open sounding for an electric keyboard, with a ton of headroom and big slightly scooped sound and a nice spring reverb. Really don't have the money for Twin or pretty much anything decent with tubes in, although I've heard some decent things about Ampeg guitar amps having a nice clean, although not so sure about the headroom element, and I'm not sure that any that are worthwhile will be in budget.

While digging around however, I've heard & seen some encouraging things about Carlsbro Stingrays & Lab Series SS amps. I have a feeling that the Lab Series is going to be the technically superior of the two, however I've heard some really nice clips of the Stingray, and a few people vouching for them being a very nice SS amp that they've used for years. Anyone got any experience of these two? Or have any other recommendations for any other nice Americaninish sounding clean amps that can be had for not a great deal?

Also on the subject of using clean amps, while I'm after a nice clean sound, when using overdrive in these situations is there anything extra to be taken into consideration? Other then simply that you're not really pushing anything into saturation and it's going to have to just be the pedal(s) working to do the vast majority of the clipping? And on top of that presumably getting a good setup to cut down some top end if you're running a bright sounding clean so you're not burying icepicks in everyone's ears? Do have a vfe TS clone with a nice smooth post gain top end filter so hopefully shouldn't be an issue in that regard.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwamiRob View Post
... electric keyboard
You don't really want a guitar amp for a keyboard - unless you don't mind the bandlimiting that guitar speakers give you.

In short, guitar speakers roll off bass and highs sharply at respectively appr. 100 and 5000 Hz (slight variations between different speakers).
For by far most keyboards this makes them sound dreadful - or at least certainly not as intended.

Get a dedicated keyboard amp - or at the very least a bass amp with a tweeter for keyboards.
Old 4 weeks ago

Something like a Fender Deluxe 112 plus from the 80's might work for you....

The solid state Fenders from the late 70's and early 80's were scooped and loud and sounded fine if you didn't want an overdriven sound.

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I'm after a nice big clean open sounding for an electric keyboard, with a ton of headroom and big slightly scooped sound and a nice spring reverb. Really don't have the money for Twin or pretty much anything decent with tubes in, although I've heard some decent things about Ampeg guitar amps having a nice clean, although not so sure about the headroom element, and I'm not sure that any that are worthwhile will be in budget.

While digging around however, I've heard & seen some encouraging things about Carlsbro Stingrays & Lab Series SS amps. I have a feeling that the Lab Series is going to be the technically superior of the two, however I've heard some really nice clips of the Stingray, and a few people vouching for them being a very nice SS amp that they've used for years. Anyone got any experience of these two? Or have any other recommendations for any other nice Americaninish sounding clean amps that can be had for not a great deal?

Also on the subject of using clean amps, while I'm after a nice clean sound, when using overdrive in these situations is there anything extra to be taken into consideration? Other then simply that you're not really pushing anything into saturation and it's going to have to just be the pedal(s) working to do the vast majority of the clipping? And on top of that presumably getting a good setup to cut down some top end if you're running a bright sounding clean so you're not burying icepicks in everyone's ears? Do have a vfe TS clone with a nice smooth post gain top end filter so hopefully shouldn't be an issue in that regard.
This may seem a bit weird, but any of the Peavey pedal steel amps with the Black Widow speaker would probably do exactly what you need. Tons of clean headroom, plenty of power, very good EQ.

You can often get a really good deal on one used.

https://peavey.com/session-115-500-w...amp/p/03615920
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cheers for the suggestions guys, found a really good deal on a Lab Series that needs a bit of work (before any of these replies unfortunately!) but I've heard & read good things. If that doesn't work out I'll look into some of these other amps. The Peavey sounds interesting, but I'd be a bit weary as I've heard some of their amps are a little bit middy? They do a pretty wide variety of stuff and I could imagine a pedal steel amp being setup to be quite bright, so could see it suiting however.

Forgot to mention in the OP it's for a magnetic Rhodes/Wurlitzer kinda keyboard, so certainly don't want the full range tweeter thing. Just more range then a very mid heavy Laney! Am gonna be using a bit of OD from pedals though, the thing sound awesome with dirt, and nice spring reverb was a bit of a must too as Pianets, while nice when properly setup, don't have the most sustain in the world, and I also just really like a reverb drenched EP either way.

If anyone's had any experience with the Stingray too I'd be interested to hear, also seem to be genuinely quite good from clips & reviews I've heard/seen.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Cheers for the suggestions guys, found a really good deal on a Lab Series that needs a bit of work (before any of these replies unfortunately!) but I've heard & read good things. If that doesn't work out I'll look into some of these other amps. The Peavey sounds interesting, but I'd be a bit weary as I've heard some of their amps are a little bit middy? They do a pretty wide variety of stuff and I could imagine a pedal steel amp being setup to be quite bright, so could see it suiting however.

Forgot to mention in the OP it's for a magnetic Rhodes/Wurlitzer kinda keyboard, so certainly don't want the full range tweeter thing. Just more range then a very mid heavy Laney! Am gonna be using a bit of OD from pedals though, the thing sound awesome with dirt, and nice spring reverb was a bit of a must too as Pianets, while nice when properly setup, don't have the most sustain in the world, and I also just really like a reverb drenched EP either way.

If anyone's had any experience with the Stingray too I'd be interested to hear, also seem to be genuinely quite good from clips & reviews I've heard/seen.
Roland JC 120 is a great amp for Rhodes. Not bad for Wurli, either, although on those I tend to prefer a cleanish tube amp with a little breakup.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear