The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for JMP-1 settings advices
Old 21st May 2020
Here for the gear

Looking for JMP-1 settings advices

I'm pretty new to the Marshall JMP-1, and I'm looking for a tone close to Deftones on the Around the Fur/White Pony era. I use EMG 81/85 pickups, got a Spark mini-booster and a Boss OD-3 if that helps. The master out of the JMP is going into my audio interface, and I use Mercuriall Reaxis as power amp simulation and NadIR as IR loader.

This guy nails it in my opinion, but he uses an Axe FX with the JMP emulation :
https://soundcloud.com/jonsymonsmusi...oh-dzl-g12k100

That's the kind of stuff I want to get close to. My tone always get too scooped, too harsch...

Detailled settings would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot, have a nice day
Old 26th May 2020
Something is not right with your impulse cabs, the JMP-1 has a ton of midrange, even more mids if you use OD2, I have to scoop the mids in my JMP-1 or else it's too much midrange, I usually crank the highs and lows and leave the mids at -3
Old 27th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
Something is not right with your impulse cabs, the JMP-1 has a ton of midrange, even more mids if you use OD2, I have to scoop the mids in my JMP-1 or else it's too much midrange, I usually crank the highs and lows and leave the mids at -3
Ok, what IR do you think of ? And what about the gain and presence setting ?
Old 28th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_narvalo View Post
The gain and presence settings will depend on your guitar, your strings, and the way you play.

My advice to you is to just play around with the knobs until you find something that sounds like what you want. You'll learn a lot more than asking strangers on the internet who aren't you, don't have your guitar, etc, etc.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 29th May 2020 at 12:46 AM..
Old 28th May 2020
Quote:
You need something that will emulate just the power amp section and a cab, not a head and cab because with the JMP-1 a preamp stage is redundant and will not sound good. I usually crank the gain all the way up for heavy sounds, presence depends on the speakers I'm using.
Old 29th May 2020
Gear Nut

I've found that just a little tweaking of OD1 and some of the early presets can yield some great sounds.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm pretty new to the Marshall JMP-1, and I'm looking for a tone close to Deftones on the Around the Fur/White Pony era. I use EMG 81/85 pickups, got a Spark mini-booster and a Boss OD-3 if that helps. The master out of the JMP is going into my audio interface, and I use Mercuriall Reaxis as power amp simulation and NadIR as IR loader.

This guy nails it in my opinion, but he uses an Axe FX with the JMP emulation :
https://soundcloud.com/jonsymonsmusi...oh-dzl-g12k100

That's the kind of stuff I want to get close to. My tone always get too scooped, too harsch...

Detailled settings would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a lot, have a nice day
If my memory serves me right Deftones used some boss fuzz like FZ2 (I am not up with Boss offerings). They also used a JMP-1 into a Marshall power amp (probably an early one) like the 9000. Cabs make a difference, my assistant is telling me its a couple of Orange 4x12 (?).
The clip sounds quite thin and modern (very digital , apparently they use digital these days ?). You get that when you push a heavy distortion with a bit of top-end into another heavily (or mid) distorted pre-amp. That's where your tone is - Marshall amps are not very fuzzy. If you don't want to use a fuzz pedal, try cutting the bottom and mid's - you will get that modern bright washy sound.
Also, didn't they have 2 guitarists?
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear