The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Carlos Santana Tone?!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Carlos Santana Tone?!

Does anyone know how to get this Santana tone?
Can't figure out what pedals he is using...

youtube.com/watch?v=z_QzU9kNUi8
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
seems like a Wah, for one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
In this particular clip there is a wah in use and I will add that Carlos historically uses the tone control to roll off the treble for his lead tone. In the past Carlos also used to solo with the neck pickup yet in this example he is using the bridge pickup.
Old 1 week ago
Of course you need to be able to play like that, too....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's in all probability not about pedals at all. I can't speak to Carlos's recordings but I am aware of how dedicated he is to live technique and live, he really only ever uses a buffered wah (buffered in providing a high Z input to properly load pickups much like a tube input stage does) with the single exception of extremely rare use of a delay. Carlos counts on, Hell! demands!, a tube amp turned up loud with moderately high preamp gain but the capability o drive the power section pretty hard. His main "effect" is his touch and his guitar Volume control.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

maybe worth knowing that regarding the feedback he's using when playing live, his guitar tech spends most of time during soundcheck to mark positions by drawing circles on the carpet with coloured chalk and to write down the note(s) which most easily feed(s) back.

no idea about stomp boxes; mesa amps in 90's...
Old 1 week ago
I've seen Carlos a number of times, sometimes in fairly informal circumstances and I've never noticed him to be dependent on any kind of FX. Not to say that he doesn't use them occasionally, but no box or combination of boxes is ever going to get you "the Santana sound".

You'd have to be able to play like him and to do that you'd probably need to feel like him when he plays. He plays emotionally, doesn't strike me as being a particularly technical dude.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Santana Tone

Try a low wattage tube amp with a zendrive. And a good guitar, that reacts to your fingers.

For me its a kind of a Santana Sound.

Regards from germany
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Guitar, amp and you sound real pretty, GuitarPimp.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Thanks man!

Bye the way: I love this smilie

More cowbell!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search