The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass Amp Sim Plug ins
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head

Bass Amp Sim Plug ins

I did a little searching and didn't find any recent discussions specifically about bass amp sims...

I typically like funk, soul, classic rock type sounds, nice round warm bottom end, maybe with some tube saturation or warmth.

Lately I've been using demos of the Plugin Alliance Ampeg plugins. Specifically the SVT3-Pro and the SVT-VR. I like them both a lot and am hoping a decent sale comes along before my demos run out... so far they're the best sounding bass amps I've tried.

I've tried a few other things:

Kuassa Cerberus - didn't really do it for me (though their Matchlock and Caliburn guitar amps are amazing).

Amplitude freebie - meh, not impressed, not inspired to buy anything from them.

Ignite amp SHB-1 - actually really pretty good when used with the power amp and a good IR. Definitely the best free option.

Neural DSP Darkglass - decent but not really my style.

Any other suggestions for me?
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTLAVGH View Post
I did a little searching and didn't find any recent discussions specifically about bass amp sims...

I typically like funk, soul, classic rock type sounds, nice round warm bottom end, maybe with some tube saturation or warmth.

Lately I've been using demos of the Plugin Alliance Ampeg plugins. Specifically the SVT3-Pro and the SVT-VR. I like them both a lot and am hoping a decent sale comes along before my demos run out... so far they're the best sounding bass amps I've tried.

Kuassa Cerberus - didn't really do it for me (though their Matchlock and Caliburn guitar amps are amazing).

Ignite amp SHB-1 - actually really pretty good when used with the power amp and a good IR. Definitely the best free option.

The Mark Bass studio 2 suite from Overloud was pretty good.Although you said you didn't want to buy it,the Amplitube Ampeg SVX and SVX 2 packs was decent as well.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
The Mark Bass studio 2 suite from Overloud was pretty good. Although you said you didn't want to buy it,the Amplitube Ampeg SVX and SVX 2 packs was decent as well.
Oh didn't actually check out the Amplitude Ampeg sims... will do, considering the Ampeg sound is kinda what I'm going for.

And I'll have a look at the Overloud as well, thanks the suggestion.
Old 21st May 2020
Here for the gear

PA just announced a 24hr sale of the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro for 49.99, use voucher code SVT-3PRO-4999.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

I tried them all and in the end my favorite is Kush Audio REDDI which also works great in vocals btw.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Pretties View Post
PA just announced a 24hr sale of the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro for 49.99, use voucher code SVT-3PRO-4999.
Lol they must have heard me.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
I tried them all and in the end my favorite is Kush Audio REDDI which also works great in vocals btw.
Thanks, will check it out.

Wait... bass amp sim for vocals? interesting!
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Wait... bass amp sim for vocals? interesting![/QUOTE]

The Kush Audio REDDI is the plugin version of the monster tube DI box called REDDI. This tube box is known to give you an instant "Ampeg" tone.
I was super skeptical as always with plugins. But on a clean DI signal, this plugn really delivers. I also feel that it is the best tube sound emulation I have ever heard. It you don't use the "bass" knob and use the -20db switch it also does wonders on vocals too.

All the other Ampeg emulations I've heard sounded like a pile of mush.

On the hardware side, I have owned a Sansamp BDDI since 1995 and I once realized that all knobs at 12 is an amazing setting to record bass with this box. When I send bass tracks to clients they almost always chose my Sansamp tracks. I know they make a plugin version but I never tried it.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head

Oh I see, sounds great, will definitely check it out.

Edit: Oh man, same price as the PA sale... I have some demoing to do. Thanks for the rec.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head

Reddi seems to an insta-crash on my system. Just upgraded to Catalina and logic 10.5, maybe not compatible.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Head

I realize these are not bass amps as such, but I'm usually using either TSE BOD (free) or Audiority Pre-X7 (peanuts) for bass, both sound excellent on both bass synths and guitar.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

I demo’d all the PA Ampegs and went with the B15n. It seemed easiest to dial in and had some tube vibe.
Now that I’ve used it for a few months I think it’s the best plugin I’ve ever bought. It can get furry pretty quick but if you keep the gain low and
boost it with some post or parallel compression it can stay clean and punchy. (Softube Summit comp is great for this).

It will be on sale again and PA is good about incentives.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTLAVGH View Post

Bass amp room?
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreflakes View Post
Bass amp room?
Oh didn't know about that one. Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

As little as I like the Waves GTR plugs, the bass models they have are pretty decent. The best thing about them is that there is a wide variety of models and sounds to choose from.
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

The perk of minimal cash is time to experiment with the pieces I do have and trying freeware. The DI on my ISA2 is sweet and is often all I need along with a compressor. The bass amp in the free amplitube 4 is a nice add if a bit more grit
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I demo’d all the PA Ampegs and went with the B15n. It seemed easiest to dial in and had some tube vibe.
Now that I’ve used it for a few months I think it’s the best plugin I’ve ever bought. It can get furry pretty quick but if you keep the gain low and
boost it with some post or parallel compression it can stay clean and punchy. (Softube Summit comp is great for this).

It will be on sale again and PA is good about incentives.
I have 2 vintage b15's (a '61 and a '67) neither gets "furry" much at all. When it distorts it pushes the mids quite a lot. Not any fuzz to talk about
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear