The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar pedal line?
Old 20th May 2020
Here for the gear

Best guitar pedal line?

Buying my first few pedals and wanted to buy into a pedal line!

I'm looking for pedals on the cheaper side and was interested in TC Electronic and Behringer pedals (I know they are basically the same company).

I like that some of the Behringer pedals are stereo, like the Ultra Chorus, but the build quality of the TC line up is pretty attractive and I heard some of the effects have basically the same circuitry.

I wanted pedals all from the same brand so I can create a customer pedal board and swap pedals with them all being the same size!

Apart from Boss and Electro, are there any other pedal brands I should consider?

I know Gear4Music do their own SubZero line, but I'm not sure what the sound/build quality is like...

Thanks!
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear
The only benefits I can see of having a pedalboard of all one manufacturer is aesthetics - for some that's a good reason, but for me I'd want to find the best pedals for each sound that works for me. The TC versions of the Beheringer pedals are better made physically and there are some good pedals. But there are great pedals from every company.

I'd suggest instead of going all in with one manufacturer that you listen to different brands/types of pedals as you build your pedalboard to see what works for you and what doesn't. Leave enough space between pedals so that you can change them out - but also to give you room to switch them on and off... This image was my pedalboard a month ago; the Phase 90 is off as I was rarely ever using it, and will swap out the MXR Micro Flanger for either a Mooer E-Lady or go all the way to a Strymon Mobius. The Ibanez Chorus was the 3rd pedal I ever bought back in Spring 1986.

It's OK to buy a pedal and then realize it isn't for you or your tastes have changed. I just sold my original MXR Distortion II as it had been sitting in its box for 20+ years; it's no longer a part of my sound. Or find retailers with return policies.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Best guitar pedal line?-2020-pedalboard.jpg  
Old 20th May 2020
Here for the gear

Cheers for the reply!
What's the TC Flashback pedal you have like??
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav View Post
Cheers for the reply!
What's the TC Flashback pedal you have like??
The Flashback is OK in that it can do many different types of delays, although I leave it on tape. Does it sound like Tape? I wouldn't know, but I like how it sounds to me.

Previously I had had an Ibanez AD9 Delay, which was limited to 300ms delay and was dark. In the 2000's I upgraded to a Boss DD6, which had the longer delay and sounded good, but was a bit too pristine. in 2012 I bought the Flashback and that's worked, although I'm now thinking that a delay with tap tempo may be more important, and something like the Belle Epoch Deluxe would get me the tape sound with tap tempo. I know the Flashback v2 has tap tempo, but upgrading to a multi-pedal vs. finding a delay pedal that's dedicated is different.

Note I have an Ibanez AD9 Mini Delay on the board - that replaced my original after the circuit board cracked near the power adapter (well, it is 37 years old and a lot of rough years) and didn't want to gig with it. It's set to a short slap on the loop of the One Control.

A Flashback does give you multiple delays, and you can also edit the TonePrint on a phone or computer if you're looking to tweak more. It may work for you, or may not - have to try it out.
Old 20th May 2020
Here for the gear

I'm trying to fine a nice stereo chorus, any ideas?
I know Tc do the June 60, and Behringer do the Ultra Chorus, but are there any other I should consider?

Also, aside from branding and quality, is there much difference between cheap and expensive pedals?
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Head

Unless TC has changed the on off/preset switches I would steer clear. Good sounding pedals but my Flashback X4 is almost unusable due to this. Also loses presets regularly even though I applied the firmware update that was suppose to fix it. The other TC I have is a reverb pedal and it stays on all the time so no problems there. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...-suck.1778383/
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear
So many chorus pedals - watch episodes of That Pedal show or JHS pedals where they often do shootouts of different pedals like chorus, flanger. Listen on headphones vs. laptop or tablet speakers and decide for yourself.

There used to be more of a difference between cheap and expensive; today it can mean discrete components that are hand assembled vs. surface mount parts, which are assembled by computer. For some things, there isn't a big difference. Others may differ wildly, like Fuzz pedals). Mooer pedals are inexpensive, but after hearing their E-Lady flanger, I'm considering it as a replacement to my Micro Flanger.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Maniac

Personally, I would not focus too much on a single brand. Usually it is easy to mix and match all pedals that fit in the mxr/boss size of pedals.
You don't want to put them too close together any way, unless you have really small feet.

There are a lot of nice chorus pedals available. I really like to use only chorus on a single channel and leave the other one unaffected (doing that with vibrato also creates a really nice chorus like effect).
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav View Post
Buying my first few pedals and wanted to buy into a pedal line!

I'm looking for pedals on the cheaper side and was interested in TC Electronic and Behringer pedals (I know they are basically the same company).

I like that some of the Behringer pedals are stereo, like the Ultra Chorus, but the build quality of the TC line up is pretty attractive and I heard some of the effects have basically the same circuitry.

I wanted pedals all from the same brand so I can create a customer pedal board and swap pedals with them all being the same size!

Apart from Boss and Electro, are there any other pedal brands I should consider?

I know Gear4Music do their own SubZero line, but I'm not sure what the sound/build quality is like...

Thanks!
Those lower end tc's are nice. I love classic MXR stuff.
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Maniac
I'd go for Boss if you can despite what youtube warriors say they make great pedals that'll last a lifetime
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

The Behringer pedals are fine. I just don't like their plastic housings.
I don't have a specific favorite brand; but these are worth to consider: Ibanez, MXR, Hardwire
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Head

Lots of nice stuff from Strymon, but $$$.
Old 27th May 2020
Every brand does one or two things really well, like Maxon and Blackstone for OD. But one brand that covers it all? Has to be Boss. They make a very usable version of any common effect.
Old 27th May 2020
Boss makes great stuff, their Dimension chorus is a classic, EHX makes great stuff too, on the cheap side the Mooer stuff is pretty cool too.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Addict

And there are loads of second hand ones on Reverb.com
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Addict

OP, you've already gotten some very good suggestions, but... this being a web forum... I shall chime in with my two cents anyway.

I agree that there's no real reason to stay with one brand besides visual aesthetics. Even then, I prefer my pedal board to not be homogenous! (My saxophone pedal board is close since it's usually mostly Earthquaker Devices pedals... I'm an Earthquaker artist, so I get great deals on them, but I also genuinely love them.)

If I had to go all-in on one COMPANY, it would probably be Dunlop. They own MXR and Way Huge, both of which make fantastic pedals, and after Earthquaker, I own more MXR pedals than anything else. My favorite delay pedal in the world, the Echo-Puss, is by Way Huge.

That being said, some of my favorite guitar sounds of all time are from Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales" record (not for everyone, but I love it). For that album, Dominic Miller was reportedly only using Boss pedals! That shocked me when I found out, but '80s-90s Boss pedals can be pretty damn great. New ones can be, too. I don't really use them much any more, but I still have a Boss DD-6 delay, RV-3 reverb, and PS-5 pitch shifter, and all of them sound very good for what they do.

So my votes, if you had no choice but to go with one brand for everything...

If you're rich or you have an artist deal: Strymon or Earthquaker!
If you have some, but not unlimited, funds: MXR or Boss!
If you're closer to the broke side (like most of us at the moment): Mooer or TC would be fine, I'm sure. They're very decent-sounding affordable pedals.

Have fun on your quest!
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac
I use a TC Gauss and a Behringer Super fuzz both great pedals
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear