The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick Swapping of speakers in the cab
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quick Swapping of speakers in the cab

Is there a system that makes it easy to swap speakers in the cabinet?

i’ve seen something on
http://grossmann-audio.de/produkt/sg-woodbox/
But I dont need an isobox, but only this swaping mechanism. Is this available for any cab?
Old 17th May 2020
Gear Guru

I have a 4X12 cab with 4 separate input jacks. As lo-tech as you can get.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post

i’ve seen something on
But I dont need an isobox, but only this swaping mechanism. Is this available for any cab?
Those kinds of speaker clamps have been used in pro pa systems and some commercial builds for decades. They are quite useful and rugged since the hold-down bolts are a greater distance from the speaker hole - more wood surrounding the bolt, especially important where particle board baffles are in use.

An important factor affecting use for guitar speakers is that very few models are made anymore with cast frames. Stamped sheet steel baskets have less rigidity, not much of an issue for 10", minor concern for 12s, but rather serious for 15s. On 15s I use 6 clamps... 8 on 18s. Front-mounting is somewhat safer, not to mention usually more accessible, but on combo amps requires rebuilding the baffle and grillework. It's ez though with a few tools and some knowledge.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks friends!

I'll discuss this with a local tech and see, what's better in my case... if we will convert one 12" cab and add some clamps.

Or maybe I'll just buy a 4x12" cab with different input jacks... Could you Brent please tell me, may I take any jack plate with 4 separate inputs and rewire them?

Like this one?

Old 17th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Could you Brent please tell me, may I take any jack plate with 4 separate inputs and rewire them?
Yes, you should be able to. I didn't use a common ground on mine, though. I ran 4 separate pairs.
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yes, you should be able to. I didn't use a common ground on mine, though. I ran 4 separate pairs.
Thanks!
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear
Other thing that comes to mind is T-nuts - install them once, and then use the included screws, but you're not weakening the wood every time you swap a speaker. More surface area for the t-nut to clamp to on the back side of the speaker baffle.
Old 17th May 2020

https://www.parts-express.com/penn-e...p-kit--260-352

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-kn...ed-stud-knobs/

This is all you need. But, you have to have a baffle set-up for front mounting ....

-tINY

Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

https://www.parts-express.com/penn-e...p-kit--260-352

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-kn...ed-stud-knobs/

This is all you need. But, you have to have a baffle set-up for front mounting ....

-tINY

What about rewiring?
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear
I think I'd just build a bunch of single-driver cabinets and use them as needed.

It looks like we're choosing between:

Option 1: swap drivers in a cabinet.
- Involves storing spare drivers in cardboard boxes, plus a single cabinet that will have lots of different drivers installed & wired.
- To make swapping easier, you could install a standardised connector (SpeakOn, 1/4" jack, whatever) for the electrical side. I don't know what you'd do if the speakers have different bolt patterns, though, except for drilling lots of holes.
- There's a non-zero setup time, no matter how fast you get. Shooting out one speaker against another would be difficult

Option 2: single-driver cabinets
- Involves storing lots of drivers in an immediately-usable state. Might take up slightly more storage, but the single-cabinet idea has a master cabinet plus all the drivers in cardboard boxes. I'd call it a tie.
- Setup time is basically zero.
- You can do some interesting stuff like pointing 3x different speakers at one mic.

Seems to me like this is a no-brainer.

Chris
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I think I'd just build a bunch of single-driver cabinets and use them as needed.

It looks like we're choosing between:

Option 1: swap drivers in a cabinet.
- Involves storing spare drivers in cardboard boxes, plus a single cabinet that will have lots of different drivers installed & wired.
- To make swapping easier, you could install a standardised connector (SpeakOn, 1/4" jack, whatever) for the electrical side. I don't know what you'd do if the speakers have different bolt patterns, though, except for drilling lots of holes.
- There's a non-zero setup time, no matter how fast you get. Shooting out one speaker against another would be difficult

Option 2: single-driver cabinets
- Involves storing lots of drivers in an immediately-usable state. Might take up slightly more storage, but the single-cabinet idea has a master cabinet plus all the drivers in cardboard boxes. I'd call it a tie.
- Setup time is basically zero.
- You can do some interesting stuff like pointing 3x different speakers at one mic.

Seems to me like this is a no-brainer.

Chris
Thats what I do. A bunch of 1x12s/1x10... Use as required
Old 18th May 2020
I have some old Decure 1x12 Thiel cabs. They used 4 metal speaker clamps, easy to remove. Pop out the speaker, use the spade lugs to plug in the next one.
Old 18th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
What about rewiring?
https://www.parts-express.com/3-16-(...0-pcs--095-287

-tINY

Old 18th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Option 2: single-driver cabinets...
What I would have done if I didn't have a useless and free 4X12 cab taking up space.
Old 18th May 2020
Quote:

i’ve seen something on
I don't really know what you're talking about. The "woodbox" that you linked to uses the same type of bolts into T nuts that most other quality built cabs use. All you need to swap speakers is a cordless drill with a Phillips bit. That's pretty easy. All those other hardware thingies on the box are just their mickey mouse speaker "stands".

Unless I'm going blind or really missed something - but I don't think so.
Old 18th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I have some old Decure 1x12 Thiel cabs. They used 4 metal speaker clamps, easy to remove. Pop out the speaker, use the spade lugs to plug in the next one.
Yeah, but I don't see how that's any easier than simply using bolts into T-nuts. With the clamps (which I've used on countless PA cabs) you just have 4 additional small parts to get lost.

You still need the same basic tool - a cordless with a Phillips - or if you're feeling energetic, a screwdriver.
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

I like this place.
Old 19th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yeah, but I don't see how that's any easier than simply using bolts into T-nuts. With the clamps (which I've used on countless PA cabs) you just have 4 additional small parts to get lost.

But, if you set it up right, you only need to loosen the bolt and turn the bracket. No need to remove any part but the speaker....

-tINY

Old 24th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

But, if you set it up right, you only need to loosen the bolt and turn the bracket. No need to remove any part but the speaker....

-tINY

Yes and no. In my experience if you loosen the bracket enough to rotate it and get the speaker out the bracket falls off anyway. It's just another bunch of fiddley parts to deal with.

I've done it both ways on a lot of different speakers and cabs and eventually concluded that in most cases it's just extra parts.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear