The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?
Old 16th May 2020
Here for the gear

Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?

I was curious if this is normal, As I'm not sure if Nitrocellulose lacquer finishes are literally this fragile on Gibsons, Even new. This Guitar was actually manufactured this month and sent to me via SweetWater. I know it wasn't a floor model, because they were on back order when I put in the request for mine. It is the 2020 Slash Les Paul standard in the Vermilion Burst. It came in its original Gibson box and then in a secondary SweetWater box surrounding it. Just curious if this is how they come outta the factory or If I should bother sending it back. It will be used as a live guitar anyway and sounds great... but did I get screwed with somehow on the finish? And If I was sent another one, would this happen rather quickly anyway? You can only see the marks well in harsh lighting. Polishing with an ultra fine polish by hand with a microfiber cloth seemed to do absolutely nothing. I will include photos below about what I'm talking about, as well as a photo in low lighting. If this is the norm, it seems a little unacceptable for a 3k dollar guitar. Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?-image9.jpg   Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?-img_7513.jpg   Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?-0.jpg   Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?-image1.jpg   Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?-image7.jpg  

Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?-image8.jpg   Brand new Gibson Les Paul standard coming with swirl marks?-0.jpg  
Old 16th May 2020
Doesn't look right. Like a scratchy cloth was used to clean it.
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Those pictures show it clearly, I would send those to Sweetwater.
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Nut

It’s a little rough but it’s a cool lookin guitar! I bet it sounds great. Keep it.
Old 16th May 2020
That's unacceptable to me. Send it back. Not even a borderline case.
Old 18th May 2020
Here for the gear

Ive had little to zero results with a light compound/swirl remover. Threads swear by that, But Its done nothing with a microfiber buffing pad. The Nitro seems like a very soft finish though, even a light pick up against it leaves small hairline markings.
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear

Hi.

I wouldn't let a guitar leave my workshop looking like that, someone has dropped the ball...

Impossible to be sure without physically examining the instrument, but it looks to my eyes like the scratches are not in the top coat of lacquer. If polishing with a fine cloth is having no effect, that would make sense.

I don't know Gibson's finishing procedure, but typically one 'cuts back' (ie sands) the lacquer between coats, with perhaps 600 grit wet and dry paper. A series of finer grades (I use 2000 grit prior to shooting the final coat) of paper would be use before the final coats.
Those photos look like someone may have missed a grade, leaving behind coarse scratches the subsequent grades would be unable to remove.

Whatever the cause, QC should have spotted it. Nitro is a finicky lacquer to shoot, but that's just bad workmanship.

KoS.
Old 19th May 2020
Typical Curleigh era lack of quality control and general not giving a sh!t about anything but money.

Send it back, get a refund, buy a used one.
Old 20th May 2020
That will buff out. It should have been done before it left Nashville.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
That will buff out. It should have been done before it left Nashville.
Hopefully. What happens if the swirl marks aren't in the top coat but are in one of the lower, colored coats and got painted over by the clear top coats?
Old 26th May 2020
Then it qualifies as a truck guitar to be beaten up without regrets.
Old 27th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofspain View Post
I wouldn't let a guitar leave my workshop looking like that, someone has dropped the ball...
I'm a bit surprised that Sweetwater sent it out. This is something you would expect from Guitar Center.
Old 28th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Sweetwater sent it out. This is something you would expect from Guitar Center.
I'd like to be, but I'm not.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

So you took of its clothes and don't like what you see (always my greatest fear)...but how does it feel? Both of my LP's are keepers and if I received them in that condition I might be upset until i played it. If you have to ask on here, then its probably not the one. Send it back.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

If you liked it enough to keep it you could still complain and perhaps get some money back or other compensation.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear