The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amp Service Recommendations
Old 10th May 2020
Amp Service Recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking for engineers who would be experienced servicing a vintage 60s marshall super lead. It works more or less as I would have expected, but the thing is /I/ am not an expert in these amps, and so it's not obvious to me from a playthrough if it sounds the way it really should.

Basically what I'm asking is who would you hire and why when it comes to having a trained ear and knowing how to listen to, understand, and work on these vintage amplifiers. I'm not even necessarily asking to get the amplifier back in a condition other than what it is in if it truly is 100% fighting shape to an expert's ears.

The two names that have come up as I've searched around are Dave Friedman and Skip Simmons in Sacramento. Skip came as highly recommended to me and Dave obviously has his own reputation that has reached my ears many times. Does Dave still do amplifier repair for the average Joe like me or is it more about his line of amplifiers now? Has anyone worked with Skip?

Who would you hire and why?

Thank you,

-R
Old 26th July 2020
Reporting back;

Skip lives a bit closer to me so I brought him my amp to work on. He did a wonderful job, the head kicks more ass than it did before. would not hesitate to work with him again. Check out his podcast, I learned a lot from listening to him.

-R
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear