The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
One Steel String Flat Top for Studio???
Old 3rd April 2020
Lives for gear

One Steel String Flat Top for Studio???

If you had to choose only one flat top, steel string to have in your studio, which would it be? I have a Guild JF55 that has been around the block a few times, and will have to retire soon... looking at a j45 (when i have money again)
What guitar is your must have for acoustic? finger picking, strumming... for any and all styles?
Old 4th April 2020
Lives for gear

I'm rather fond of a Martin OM for recording. They're versatile, great for strumming as well as finger-style. They're balanced, not too bassy, which is a plus in the studio.
Old 4th April 2020
Gear Guru

Why can't you rehab the Guild? Those are great all-rounders.
Old 4th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Why can't you rehab the Guild? Those are great all-rounders.
I spent over $700 in the last few years trying to get this thing back to how it was... the binding is a mess, i only care about sound and playability, but i was wondering yesterday... could i just take this to somebody and have them take it apart and rebuild it from scratch?

either way, after a refret, it was never the same, i brought it to a great guy here in nyc (matt from 30th st.) and he got it working better, but it's still not the same, especially with playability...

i doubt i will ever sell the guild because of sentimental reasons (only guitar i'm like that with)

but i wonder what you guys love to have in the studio, a j45 is probably next on my list or an OM or parlour... I'm super broke currently because of unemployment recently
Old 4th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
... i wonder what you guys love to have in the studio, a j45 is probably next on my list or an OM or parlour... I'm super broke currently because of unemployment recently
Welp... around here, a lot of the folks I know have surprisingly modest steel string acoustics as their main studio workhorse. Mine's a 70's Ibanez, and I've seen others like mine, and Yamaha, and Takamine, and Alvarez. They don't sound like Martins, they don't boom, they're usually great strummers. And they don't cost much. But given their age, you don't wanna buy one off the internet because people tend to dump them if they need a neck reset.
Old 4th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Welp... around here, a lot of the folks I know have surprisingly modest steel string acoustics as their main studio workhorse. Mine's a 70's Ibanez, and I've seen others like mine, and Yamaha, and Takamine, and Alvarez. They don't sound like Martins, they don't boom, they're usually great strummers. And they don't cost much. But given their age, you don't wanna buy one off the internet because people tend to dump them if they need a neck reset.
I have played friends old cheap Takamine or Yamaha that were fairly cheap, but wonderful playing and sounded great
Old 6th April 2020
Quote:
If you had to choose only one flat top, steel string to have in your studio, which would it be? I have a Guild JF55 that has been around the block a few times, and will have to retire soon... looking at a j45 (when i have money again)
What guitar is your must have for acoustic? finger picking, strumming... for any and all styles?
Sh!t, man, get your Guild overhauled by a really good luthier. Those are GREAT guitars!

A good complement to it would be a Martin 00018 or OM18.
Old 6th April 2020
Quote:
I spent over $700 in the last few years trying to get this thing back to how it was... the binding is a mess, i only care about sound and playability, but i was wondering yesterday... could i just take this to somebody and have them take it apart and rebuild it from scratch?

either way, after a refret, it was never the same, i brought it to a great guy here in nyc (matt from 30th st.) and he got it working better, but it's still not the same, especially with playability...

i doubt i will ever sell the guild because of sentimental reasons (only guitar i'm like that with)

but i wonder what you guys love to have in the studio, a j45 is probably next on my list or an OM or parlour... I'm super broke currently because of unemployment recently
I have a Gibson J-200 (1959) and a Guild D-40 (1964).
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Collings anything if I had to choose one.
Collings 0001 is amazing for fingerstyle especially strung with nickel bronze strings.
My old Takamine NP15 still gets a lot of use for strumming. I converted an old Alvarez 12 string into a Nashville strung an am using it a ton.
Old 11th April 2020
Lives for gear

Those Collings and j200 are what I'd love, but way out of my price range, I almost bought a J200 when i got this guild
Martin D series are probably the most common in studios, no?
Old 12th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Martin D series are probably the most common in studios, no?
No. They boom when you strum them, so if you're just going to have one guitar that's not what you want.
Old 12th April 2020
Deleted 714de1f
Not sure, but in the states are K Yairi's called Alverez?

Whatever, K Yairi make some nice instruments and likely cheaper to pick up than Martins etc if you get a chance to try ...
Old 12th April 2020
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=kingoftheslutz;14652673]Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but you seem to be saying that they all do something that somehow disqualifies them from the list of record-worthy acoustics./QUOTE]

I'm not seeming to say anything, I'm actually saying it. Martin Dreadnoughts boom when you strum them -- I've never encountered one that didn't -- and it's a real problem in most recording situations. The boom does start to even out once you get the mic(s) at least a couple feet away or ideally more, but then you start to hear a lot of the room.

Many other dreads and other similar-sized guitars boom less than that, some a lot less. Making them more ideal if you're only going to have one studio guitar.
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheslutz View Post
Well, I don't really share that experience.
Is anything you're saying based on personal experience?
Old 24th April 2020
Lives for gear

ok this thread is deteriorating into typical gs fighting... i will say one thing I WANT A GIBSON J200... afford, not so much.... lol
that's alway been my favorite sounding guitar, my Guild is probably the closest thing to that that I have found
Old 27th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheslutz View Post

And I guess it seems to me that a lot of people have been able to record Martins successfully, without it being a "real problem".

I think some [a lot of?] Martins tend to have a full low end, which you [and others] may characterize as "boomy". Some people seem to see it as a plus, others don't. So I'm not saying you are "wrong" for having an opinion. But, honestly, there are lots of ways to deal with that kind of thing if you don't like it in the track. One of which would be to use a different guitar, of course, but there are also these things called equalizers that a lot of people use, and compressors, and so on. : ) Microphone choice?

Well, there are lots of different Martin guitars....

I have a D-28 that is mostly for live playing and especially if there is no amp/PA. For recording it, you'd want a big room for it to sound right in the bottom end. Also, if it were a live take, the extra bass response would be a hassle without isolated rooms. And, with the cables I keep on it (see live playing, above) it does take some effort to play cleanly for longer sessions.

....but, you could record it and it could sound great.

-tINY

Old 28th April 2020
Lives for gear

You had a great idea with the J-45, you know. The low end is a little more restrained than you might expect with a Martin dread. Good recording guitars, they've been on more than a few tracks.
Old 28th April 2020
Lives for gear

you should also look at the new Yamaha A3. They have a great pickup system and offer two body sizes. The smaller one with the cutaway is what I'd get.

or look for a used Collings OM cutaway if you can swing it.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
you should also look at the new Yamaha A3. They have a great pickup system and offer two body sizes. The smaller one with the cutaway is what I'd get.

or look for a used Collings OM cutaway if you can swing it.
the yamaha looks great, can't afford to look at collings
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
the yamaha looks great, can't afford to look at collings
I use my Takamine NC-15 as much as I use my Collings. It works great for that thin Nashville strum and let’s me keep the Collings setup with nickel bronze for an entirely different vibe. Those Yamahas are great and you’ll always use it even If you upgrade later.

If you can, also be on the lookout for something small and really cheap and set it up for Nashville high strung. I use that all the time and is something I should have done long ago.
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
Well, what I play onstage and for recording is a 1959 Gibson J-200. My other good acoustic is a 1964 Guild D-40, which is also a great guitar. It has a lot of wear on it, but it's just amazing - it's my lead player's favorite acoustic.

If I was looking for a guitar specifically as a studio guitar for clients to play I'd look really seriously at a Martin 000 or OM - they make really good all around recording guitars.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear