The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite guitar pick?
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear
Your favorite guitar pick?

Don't ask me why, but I have had these damn Dunlop nylons forever, and just want to make a change. I like picks that have a really nice grip to them and work with a rock electric guitar style.

Pretty simple, but nothing like getting really slutty and caring about picks. SO what guage, brand ..etc do you like?

Old 21st June 2007
Here for the gear

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Dunlop Tortex 1mm
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

The red jazz III ones.
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Carvin's Medium Picks
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Jim Dunlop H3's (small purple jazz picks) for the last 15 years but they have been discontinued.

Now using the Pitch black gold jazz 1mm - they are just as good although harder to find when I drop them, which is always.

Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Dunlop Tortex 1mm
thumbsup

Yep!The blue ones,All I use on Electric,I like The Yellows On Acoustic.
Old 21st June 2007
Here for the gear

I used the Tortex for years...Now I use the Dunlop Gator Grips. My hands sweat a lot while I play, and the Gator Grips stay put! Tortex picks are great, but I love my Gator Grips!!

gym*
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

The one w/ the Rhino on it (ultex?) is by far the best. No "clicky" pick attack sound and they never get sweaty, even after months of use.
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

I love this kind of thread; über-geeky.

I use those Clayton rounded-triangles; usually the .63 ones.
Old 21st June 2007
Old 21st June 2007
Always tend to gravitate toward the Dunlop Tortex .73. It just feels comfortable.
Old 21st June 2007
Dunlop gator grips. .53 This but good responce and they don't warp or sound thin.
Old 21st June 2007
Gear Maniac

My fingers.
Old 21st June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Jim Dunlop H3's (small purple jazz picks) for the last 15 years but they have been discontinued.

Now using the Pitch black gold jazz 1mm - they are just as good although harder to find when I drop them, which is always.

Those are the ones I use, too. I scratch small grooves with a sharp knife on both sides so the have a nice grip even when my hands get very sweaty on stage.
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

+1 on fingers.
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

Fingers, and what I cant do with those, I use Dunlop 111 Jazz the red one and its gotta have the point.
Fender mediums for acoustic.
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

I will still use the hoary old Fender Medium Celluloids when I want that round tone. Otherwise it's usually yellow tortex .73mm. I will go thinner to have a softer transient strum on an acoustic, and thicker for bass. I'm not a connoisseur of fine plectra though...
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

I used to glue Dunlop Jazz IIIs onto Herco Flat/Thumb Picks, so that I had the sound of the red Dunlops with the mobility of the Hercos. Took hours to do with filing down both picks, cutting out the Hercos and super-glueing the Dunlops onto them.

Herco Flat Thumbpick

Lately I switched to just the Hercos in their original state but also took up ProPik Fingertone picks for my first, middle and ring fingers. I started doing it on dobro where you pretty much need fingerpicks to survive but I dig it more and more on Telecaster too. The great thing about the Fingertones is that once you get used to them, you can pretty much play the same way as you would with your fingers (i.e fretted harmonics, damping, etc) because you're still using the flesh of your fingers. The tone is great, clear and round and LOUD. Also works great on acoustic guitar for fingerstyle playing.

ProPik® | Finger-Tone®
Old 22nd June 2007

It depends on the style that I'm playing. For fast stuff I like Dunlops Jazz III but for ska or similar types of music where you need to hit various strings at the same time I like to use thinner picks, Dunlops also, the red/normal shape ones. There are sometimes where the little Jazz picks won't give me the body/sound that
I want and in those situations I like to use yellow ones (Dunlop also). So like I said, it dependes on the song or music style.
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarness View Post
Always tend to gravitate toward the Dunlop Tortex .73. It just feels comfortable.
Ditto. thumbsup
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Nut

I used Dunlop Nylons for years. 1mm and 88's. I will be honest though, I have been jamming everything with my fingers and I cannot believe I neglected this style of playing for so many years. I really suggest you try to mix it in with your pick playing, it brings a whole new dimension and rhythmic possibilities to your playing.

I do dig the tortex picks too.
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Addict

dunlop tortex .88mm (the green one)

all the fender picks i've tried wear down too fast
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Head

Fender Heavy - Tortoise Shell.
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Addict

I prefer the Dunlop Tortex yellows (.7mm?) and the blue 1mm.

Seems I'm not alone

John
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

Dunlop gator grip 2.0mm. Those angry reptiles are the best - I don't drop picks as much as I used to. I used to use the 1.0mm blue turtle thing, but I've always hated the sound when they were new because of their sharp edges. Those 2.0mm gators works well for me right off the shelf without any breaking-in process, though I needed to learn to play with just the tip of the pick to make it work for me.
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

jazz III'sthumbsup

Fender medium's for acoustic
Attached Images
Your favorite guitar pick?-367393.jpg 
Old 22nd June 2007
Gear Maniac

I usually use the small (mandolin lookin' picks). The Clayton Teardrop. Most people can't play with them either (+1).

I use the Heavy version so they don't bend or break like when I use to play in church.

The stupid thing I like to say sometimes is "I'm closer in touch with my strings."
Attached Images
Your favorite guitar pick?-pcast.gif 
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I used to glue Dunlop Jazz IIIs onto Herco Flat/Thumb Picks, so that I had the sound of the red Dunlops with the mobility of the Hercos. Took hours to do with filing down both picks, cutting out the Hercos and super-glueing the Dunlops onto them.

Herco Flat Thumbpick

Lately I switched to just the Hercos in their original state but also took up ProPik Fingertone picks for my first, middle and ring fingers. I started doing it on dobro where you pretty much need fingerpicks to survive but I dig it more and more on Telecaster too. The great thing about the Fingertones is that once you get used to them, you can pretty much play the same way as you would with your fingers (i.e fretted harmonics, damping, etc) because you're still using the flesh of your fingers. The tone is great, clear and round and LOUD. Also works great on acoustic guitar for fingerstyle playing.

ProPik® | Finger-Tone®
Nice looking finger picks!

I used metal finger picks for year for acoustic playing....seemed like I had to to get the projection I wanted.
I've switched over to a lot more electric playing these days and I've found a great deal of flexibility with flesh on strings.
Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD View Post
The red jazz III ones.
Black Jazz III for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search