The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kahayan 8x4 Midi - blown power supplier
Old 4th March 2020
Kahayan 8x4 Midi - blown power supplier

Hi Slutz, looking for some feedback from others that have the Kahayan 8x4 Midi amp switcher with serial #1097 or higher.

I bought the unit and after just a couple power ups the power supply in the unit popped and sparked. It popped the breaker and then would not come back on. The supply obviously blew. The circuit is a dedicated 20 amp and have never had issues with it. Besides, I’m not really interested in analyzing how I have it connected since a power supply shouldn’t just blow like that.

The reason for mentioning the serial number 1097, is because that is when they went from a manual 110/220 switched supply to an auto-sensing supply. Mine was an auto-sensing supply.

I figure either this new supply design was either a one-off issue with my unit or it is fragile and needs some TLC when powering it up with other devices. I have a replacement unit on the way...

So here is my ask, if you have the Kahayan 8x4 Midi amp switcher and your serial is greater than #1097 , I would like to know;
  • Have you had a power supply issue?
  • Are you powering it on through a rack conditioner with other devices, rather than using the front panel switch?
  • Is one of those other devices the OX by Universal Audio? Is it on the same circuit? Is it powering up simultaneously with the Kahayan?

Thanks in advance!
Old 4th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Since it popped and sparked you're likely to see the failing component if you have a look.
Hopefully it's just a cap and not a design issue of your model. Auto sensing supplies have been around a long time and I would think it unlikely to be a design problem.
Old 7th March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanzer View Post
Since it popped and sparked you're likely to see the failing component if you have a look.
Hopefully it's just a cap and not a design issue of your model. Auto sensing supplies have been around a long time and I would think it unlikely to be a design problem.
I’m thinking that’s the case. I’ve already shipped out the blown unit and received a replacement. No issues as yet but I have been staggering between the OX and Kahayan power on’s. I have a Furman M-8S, power sequencing unit, coming to put little time delay between the Kahayan and the OX power ups. See how things go.
Old 9th March 2020
Here’s the new set up and it seems to be working just fine!

Last edited by BlindLemonOrange; 9th March 2020 at 06:31 PM..
Old 9th March 2020
Gear Maniac

Glad to hear you're back to working!

I see you're getting attention from some UAD heavyweights over on the OX forum too. It would be great if Kahayan and UAD come up with a detailed response. That seldom happens in my experience but you never know.

FYI - the photos are not visible to me, don't know it it's my browser and it certainly could be. I tried IE11 and Firefox.
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

I have #1108 & I'm here because I was looking for users that had issues.

I turn mine on/off with the switch on the front panel & a few days ago it burned up shortly after turning it on. It's plugged into a Furman PL Plus as my Ox I always use the switches on the units. Never the switch on the Furman.

Sadly this thing has made my studio smell like a transformer fire ever since. So far Kahayan tells me they're on holiday for the next 21 days & I need to get in touch with the store I bought it to find a USA service center. Of course the store, a reputable one at that cannot get that info from them either. I think Kahayan meant to tell me " go fix it yourself"

Based on this & the fact it has not been hard to find people who had problems I'd suggest getting an Ampete.. Thats likely what I'll end up doing
Old 20th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_A View Post
I have #1108 & I'm here because I was looking for users that had issues. . . .Sadly this thing has made my studio smell like a transformer fire ever since. So far Kahayan tells me they're on holiday for the next 21 days & I need to get in touch with the store I bought it to find a USA service center. Of course the store, a reputable one at that cannot get that info from them either. I think Kahayan meant to tell me " go fix it yourself"
Based on this & the fact it has not been hard to find people who had problems I'd suggest getting an Ampete.. Thats likely what I'll end up doing
When I inquired about how to get repair for my Kahayan switcher, I was told to contact Kahayan's U.S. Distributor, RAD, to handle it. Have you tried contacting RAD?

http://raddist.com/contact.php
Quote:
RAD Distribution

RAD Distribution is the exclusive North American distributor for the fine products by Golden Age Project, Lindell Audio, Heritage Audio, Kahayan Audio, HEDD Audio, and Isovox.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robal View Post
When I inquired about how to get repair for my Kahayan switcher, I was told to contact Kahayan's U.S. Distributor, RAD, to handle it. Have you tried contacting RAD?

http://raddist.com/contact.php
I did.. It took direct contact from Pablo Kahayan to get a reply almost 2 weeks later. They expect me to pay for the repair in spite of it being a manufacturing defect. I ended up with a little over $5,000 in damage not counting the cost of the unit. I won't be sending it back as it is now "evidence"
📝 Reply