The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pedal / effect plugins
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Pedal / effect plugins

Hi,

my "pedalboard" is Ableton Live with a Midi Commander stomp connected to my PC. As amp I either use a real Vox AC30 or Archetype Plini, depending on the scenario, the routing in Ableton also lets me switch between them or run them in parallel, trigger loops, record etc. So generally I would not want to change this setup since I'm very happy with it.

So for effects, I can run some of the Neural DSP effects and Valhalla effects into the AC or Plini, which both sound really good. I want to expand my arsenal of effects now, since for a lot of things I use Ableton stock plugins, which are good in their own right but not particularly tailored for guitar. Also I am missing some of the classic overdrive/distortion pedals (TS/OCD/BD2) to shape the tone some more.
There are several amp sims out there like bias, guitar rig, amplitube, overloud,... my question is, what do you prefer in term of effects. I do not care about the amp / cab sims. Routing options is also an interesting topic, but I guess for most of them you would have to load two instances of the plugin:

effects-plugin (1) -> amp / amp sim -> effects-plugin (2) -> master channel

I tried bias but was really not blown away by the effects. I had a helix for a while and quite liked the effects that were in there, but I sold it for several reasons. I would not want to shell out the 400EUR for helix native when I already know I don't need the amp sims. I would do it if it's the absolutely best option bar none though.

Cheers
Old 27th February 2020
I would suggest you check out Amplitube - you can demo it and you can buy things " a la carte". I would assume this is the most cost effective way of getting a few select pedals like the overdrives etc.

For modulation, reverb and delay I think you are better off just using regular plugins.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the idea. Completely forgot about the Amplitube custom shop. That might really be the best idea and just get some of the OD pedals that I want. Guess for modulation/reverb I'll stick to the Valhalla stuff, you really can't beat them in bang for the buck. Maybe I might add a Audio Thing Outer Space.
Old 27th February 2020
Checkout the eventide spring and blackhole plugins - basically the same algos as the one's in the H9 and favtor pedals. They were on sale recently for like 29$
Old 28th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the recommendations. For completeness sake, I was in the music store yesterday with my setup and tried a few things. I ended up buying an LA Lady from Source Audio because it sounded incredible and integrated into my setup perfectly without compromise. Without compromise because I'm running full stereo or even multichannel and the LA is stereo!

I put it into one of the stereo loops of my audio interface and load it in Ableton as an external audio effect and put it wherever I need it in the chain. I can fully midi program it from Ableton so basically I can continue using my midi interface and just use it for the engines. They sound awesome and the ability to either have them parallel for stereo or stacking for higher gain (which you can change per preset) is extremely versatile. Great plus is that every parameter is mapped to midi, so I can also use modulation envelopes or oscillators in Ableton to control some of the parameters.

For chorus/modulation/delay/reverb I think for now I stick to my Valhalla plugins. Compared some high end Pedals like the Mercury 7 (which is imho the best reverb pedal at the moment) and BigSky against the Valhalla Vintage/Plate/Room Reverb. I didn't feel like I was missing out on much from a pure tone perspective although the Cathedral on the Mercury with the pitch shift down and modulation on the trails was sweet but that was also nothing you couldn't construct in a chain.

Cheers and thanks
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Go to KVRaudios plugin data base, look for the FX type you want and check out the plethora of freebies there are (you can of course as well check commercial offerings).
https://www.kvraudio.com/q.php
Old 28th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouran View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. For completeness sake, I was in the music store yesterday with my setup and tried a few things. I ended up buying an LA Lady from Source Audio because it sounded incredible and integrated into my setup perfectly without compromise. Without compromise because I'm running full stereo or even multichannel and the LA is stereo!

I put it into one of the stereo loops of my audio interface and load it in Ableton as an external audio effect and put it wherever I need it in the chain. I can fully midi program it from Ableton so basically I can continue using my midi interface and just use it for the engines. They sound awesome and the ability to either have them parallel for stereo or stacking for higher gain (which you can change per preset) is extremely versatile. Great plus is that every parameter is mapped to midi, so I can also use modulation envelopes or oscillators in Ableton to control some of the parameters.

For chorus/modulation/delay/reverb I think for now I stick to my Valhalla plugins. Compared some high end Pedals like the Mercury 7 (which is imho the best reverb pedal at the moment) and BigSky against the Valhalla Vintage/Plate/Room Reverb. I didn't feel like I was missing out on much from a pure tone perspective although the Cathedral on the Mercury with the pitch shift down and modulation on the trails was sweet but that was also nothing you couldn't construct in a chain.

Cheers and thanks
Valhalla has a free FreQ Echo that's really cool - you can use it as a watery modulation as well if you set the time to 0 and feedback to 0
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear