The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buss wire for ground and guitar wire brands
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Buss wire for ground and guitar wire brands

Are there some guitar wire brands better than others?

Do you use the same guitar wire for grounding, or buss wire?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
Are there some guitar wire brands better than others?

Do you use the same guitar wire for grounding, or buss wire?
Some types are better. Brands? Usually you find internal guitar wiring sold in short lengths by guitar parts vendors and they usually don't display brands.

No. Grounding usually uses solid wire, sometimes buss wire, sometimes something a bit thinner and more flexible, especially when it has to be threaded through a thin hole in a solid body for bridge and/or string grounds.

For humbuckers and P-90s I generally favor Gibson style wire with a stranded core, cloth push-back core insulation, and a woven push back shield of tinned copper unless a multiconductor wire is called for (For various mods, like coil tapping). Usually this comes attached to the pickup.

For Fender style single coils I prefer the cloth push-back unshielded wire found in vintage Fenders, but will also use the plastic insulated stranded wire used in more recent Fenders if that's what's on the pickup.

Push-back is great for guitar work because you don't have to strip it if you know how to use it. The shielded push-back also has a very good woven shield. Some cheaper "shielded cable" as used in many/most Asian guitars has a low coverage shield and light, flimsy conductors. Some of it has plastic insulation that melts really easily - not good.

Cloth insulation doesn't melt.

Capacitance isn't an issue for internal guitar wiring - the lengths are too short for it to matter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks John. So for an HSS Strat you could use one type of vintage style cloth wire including for grounding?

Is there any advantage to using buss wire in this situation?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You could use cote hanger and not tell a difference sound wise.
Better is subjective, better could be ease of use, I am with John on this one use true pushback cotton wire on fenders and the vintage shielded on Gibson’s, it looks correct as well. It’s easy to work with.

I also use Teflon wire, as it does not melt on stomp box builds ..
But it is hell on wire strippers.

Multi conductor I use standard stuff, and try to reduce dwell time to not melt the wire...
Console cable comes to mind...

I think some issues with guitar wiring that are far more important are what solider station you use,
A good iron will reduce dwell time on the parts.
And get a better joint, a cheep low wattage iron can kill a pot, and is more likely to have a cold joint...

And also the measured value of what ever pots you are using, even with good cts 450g dimple back pots, one of my favorites they can be all over, I double order what I need measure them and use the best, save the lower value pots for bright guitars.
Btw currently Gibson pots are some of the worst about tolerance, seen many marked 500 ohm that are 300 ohm! That makes a big difference in what the overall tone of the guitar has..

Not going to touch on caps, I use luxe for vintage style builds because they look right..some love cheep ceramics...have not seen a measurable difference in caps used it guitars...

Lastly the quality of jacks like switch-craft and switches Cts, May make no tonal difference but do play a roll in longevity.

The cost difference in using cheep China stuff and better quality for guitar wiring is so minimal, why not use better stuff?

Just my take.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
Thanks John. So for an HSS Strat you could use one type of vintage style cloth wire including for grounding?

Is there any advantage to using buss wire in this situation?
There's an advantage to solid wire if you have to pass it through a really skinny hole, like for a bridge ground. The advantage is that it doesn't tend to fray at the tip and get hung up in the hole when you're trying to thread it through.

The only disadvantage would be that it tends to break if it gets flexed a lot, but wiring inside guitars isn't in a position to get flexed, especially the wire run for string/bridge grounds.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search