The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What happened over at The Gear Page?
Old 26th February 2020
  #1
What happened over at The Gear Page?

If I am not breaking some kind of rule here by asking, The Gear Page seems to have discontinued The Pub forum. Is there some kind of interesting story here?

Of course I could ask over there but when they ban a person, he's banned for life.

Which, come to think of it, prompts the question how many people are here because The Gear Page threw them out?
Old 26th February 2020
  #2
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
If I am not breaking some kind of rule here by asking, The Gear Page seems to have discontinued The Pub forum. Is there some kind of interesting story here?

Of course I could ask over there but when they ban a person, he's banned for life.

Which, come to think of it, prompts the question how many people are here because The Gear Page threw them out?
Most bans are for a week.I'm banned right now for a week and have no idea why.I hadn't even posted for days and then suddenly banned.I've been a member here and over there for about the same length of time.
Old 26th February 2020
  #3
Jeez, they must really hate me.
Old 27th February 2020
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Jeez, they must really hate me.
You got a perma ban?
Old 27th February 2020
  #5
It appears so.
Old 27th February 2020
  #6
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
If I am not breaking some kind of rule here by asking, The Gear Page seems to have discontinued The Pub forum. Is there some kind of interesting story here?

Of course I could ask over there but when they ban a person, he's banned for life.

Which, come to think of it, prompts the question how many people are here because The Gear Page threw them out?
I can enter The Pub now.
Old 27th February 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

I'm never going back to The Gear Page. The moderation on TGP is the worst I've ever seen.

I was never banned or been put on temporary "vacation" on TGP, but I've had some unfair warnings. Just having fun writing and sharing, and bam I get a warning for being political or whatever. Totally ridiculous.

I was a Gold supporting member giving them money because I felt like it was a good forum, but it turned out the moderation sucks beyond belief and I'm out of there forever.
4
Share
Old 27th February 2020
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I'm never going back to The Gear Page. The moderation on TGP is the worst I've ever seen.

I was never banned or been put on temporary "vacation" on TGP, but I've had some unfair warnings. Just having fun writing and sharing, and bam I get a warning for being political or whatever. Totally ridiculous.

I was a Gold supporting member giving them money because I felt like it was a good forum, but it turned out the moderation sucks beyond belief and I'm out of there forever.
I've done a bunch of deals in the Emporium,which is the main reason for me belonging over there.But getting banned without even listing a reason just doesn't seem right.
1
Share
Old 27th February 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
I've done a bunch of deals in the Emporium,which is the main reason for me belonging over there.But getting banned without even listing a reason just doesn't seem right.
I think it's great if you found a good community of people on TGP to do business with. I never bought or sold on TGP, but from what I read of the TGP Emporium policies it seems they were/are trying to be fair.

I think the bottom line for me is that I recognized more than a few years ago that TGP was simply a business. There's nothing wrong with business, I'm a business owner. But why would I want to write fun posts and share my gear experience on a website that exists seemingly purely for profit.

Hey TGP, pay me to write posts :-)

And I'll say this, the moderation here on GS is excellent. I'm not just saying that, it is excellent here.
3
Share
Old 27th February 2020
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I think it's great if you found a good community of people on TGP to do business with. I never bought or sold on TGP, but from what I read of the TGP Emporium policies it seems they were/are trying to be fair.

I think the bottom line for me is that I recognized more than a few years ago that TGP was simply a business. There's nothing wrong with business, I'm a business owner. But why would I want to write fun posts and share my gear experience on a website that exists seemingly purely for profit.

Hey TGP, pay me to write posts :-)

And I'll say this, the moderation here on GS is excellent. I'm not just saying that, it is excellent here.
All the Emporium sales are between private members and there is no commission payed to TGP.Any member can buy things but you have to be a "Supporting member" to sell things but the fee is low.When I opened TGP after not being there for a few days this is what I saw:

You have received a warning from the Staff
Slicklickz, Saturday at 6:34 PM, you were given the following warning: Inappropriate Behavior

This warning has been given to you for violating the rules of The Gear Page.

The consequences of this warning are:
You have received 3 infraction points.
Your account has not otherwise been restricted.



So when I went to click the "I understand" button to get on the site it says:

The Gear Page - Error
You have been banned for the following reason: Rules violations Your ban will be lifted on Feb 29, 2020.


There were no specific violations listed,or even what forum.And I don't see any of my posts deleted or any reply from a Mod to one of my posts explaining anything.You can't even contact a mod.
Old 27th February 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
All the Emporium sales are between private members and there is no commission payed to TGP.Any member can buy things but you have to be a "Supporting member" to sell things but the fee is low.When I opened TGP after not being there for a few days this is what I saw:

You have received a warning from the Staff
Slicklickz, Saturday at 6:34 PM, you were given the following warning: Inappropriate Behavior

This warning has been given to you for violating the rules of The Gear Page.

The consequences of this warning are:
You have received 3 infraction points.
Your account has not otherwise been restricted.



So when I went to click the "I understand" button to get on the site it says:

The Gear Page - Error
You have been banned for the following reason: Rules violations Your ban will be lifted on Feb 29, 2020.


There were no specific violations listed,or even what forum.And I don't see any of my posts deleted or any reply from a Mod to one of my posts explaining anything.You can't even contact a mod.
I understand your frustration.

You can write a PM to a moderator over there. I've had discussions with TGP moderators. I'd never publicly call out moderator's names but at least one guy over there seems like a good guy, the rest of them are the reason I'm never going back.

But write a PM to a TGP moderator and attempt to start a dialogue.
1
Share
Old 27th February 2020
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I understand your frustration.

You can write a PM to a moderator over there. I've had discussions with TGP moderators. I'd never publicly call out moderator's names but at least one guy over there seems like a good guy, the rest of them are the reason I'm never going back.

But write a PM to a TGP moderator and attempt to start a dialogue.
I can't contact a Mod either,anything and everything I click on brings up this:

The following error occurred:
You have been banned for the following reason: Rules violations Your ban will be lifted on Feb 29, 2020.







There is no way around it.it's over in 2 days so maybe then I can find out what happened.
Old 27th February 2020
  #13
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
I can't contact a Mod either,anything and everything I click on brigs up this:

The following error occurred:
You have been banned for the following reason: Rules violations Your ban will be lifted on Feb 29, 2020.







There is no way around it.it's over in 2 days so maybe then I can find out what happened.
Hopefully you'll get it worked out. I'm sorry you have to practice patience with TGP.
Old 27th February 2020
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Hopefully you'll get it worked out. I'm sorry you have to practice patience with TGP.
It should go back to normal in 2 days.Then I can try to figure out what caused it.
Funny thing is that I only make an occasional post.I have my feed set up for the Emporium forums that I usually buy gear out of:,Recording, Pro Audio & Rack Gear Emporium,Music Gear Parts and Accessories Emporium,Pedal Effects Gear Emporium,and Digital & Modeling Emporium,
Old 28th February 2020
  #15
I only just decided to revisit there the other day. Iโ€™d left there years ago because of the dearth of content due to incredibly thin skinned fanboy moderation keeping the entire populace on tenterhooks and treating it like a club rather than service. After some of the more knowledgeable members got banned for merely bringing up some news about gear that the moderators didnโ€™t use and I got told off for challenging some poor behavior from a forum troll whom I guess must have been a friend of the mods I decided to cut my losses and find pastures anew rather than end up banned myself.

Sounds like things havenโ€™t changed much though.

Here and Harmony Central were much calmer and less stressful to navigate, and had much more information. The only part I miss is the community feedback for music posted regardless of your level, GS is a very much more focused gear and professionals site. Not so much room for amateurs like myself just trying to learn and do music for pleasure.
Old 28th February 2020
  #16
My only regret is that I see people asking questions that I could answer, and they're either getting no responses or the kind of jerking around that forums tend to attract. And I could help the guys but I can't.
Old 28th February 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
I only just decided to revisit there the other day. Iโ€™d left there years ago because of the dearth of content due to incredibly thin skinned fanboy moderation keeping the entire populace on tenterhooks and treating it like a club rather than service.
Exactly true. Tattletellers will bring you down on TGP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
My only regret is that I see people asking questions that I could answer, and they're either getting no responses or the kind of jerking around that forums tend to attract. And I could help the guys but I can't.
Christoph Kemper inventor and owner of Kemper was obviously not pleased a few years ago with TGP due to the TGP policy of whomever starts a thread can delete the thread. Someone would start a thread on TGP, Mr. Kemper would respond with a thoughtful post regarding his Kemper profiler and shortly thereafter the thread would vanish into thin air. I'm not saying an owner of TGP or a TGP moderator was censoring posts of Mr. Kemper, (although an owner of TGP when I formerly posted on TGP was a proponent of Axe-Fx.)

Mr. Kemper in a subsequent post was clearly annoyed with TGP policy and I assume he's never gone back to TGP.
3
Share
Old 1st March 2020
  #18
Gear Addict
 

My ban just ended and I found out the reason.People were discussing how some members(no names mentioned) would go complain to the mods when anyone didn't agree with them.I quoted someone and made a short comment(my comment in quotation marks:
Lord N said: โ†‘
Yea, it's sad but they do it.
"Probably the same people that call the police on their neighbors on holidays about noise during daylight hours and call the Zoning Board because they don't like the color of a fence."
Mod response days later:
Slicklickz,

I wanted to alert you that your post breaks our rule regarding appropriate behavior.
We wanted you to be aware that your post may have been deleted or edited. Please take a moment to revisit the rules. We value your membership.

Thanks..........The Gear Page staff
Old 1st March 2020
  #19
Gosh people are pussies nowadays. You didn't say anything bad at all.
3
Share
Old 1st March 2020
  #20
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Gosh people are pussies nowadays. You didn't say anything bad at all.
Yes totally pathetic.The funny thing is it said I've been issued a warning but my account was otherwise unaffected.Then out of nowhere I was banned for a week with no explanation.So I sent the Mod a message but haven't heard back.
In that same thread,which was about a Fractal product,someone had mentioned what Fractal had said about a release date.Several people were discussing it and then were banned and many posts were deleted with a Mod saying whatever goes on on other forums shouldn't be discussed on TGP.What?Seriously?A day after I was banned the thread was locked.
Old 1st March 2020
  #21
Gear Maniac
I do not like the Gearpage. I am always afraid some jerk is going to object to an insightful or trenchant comment and complain, like some church lady. Ironically, for a gear page, the mainly interesting forum was the Pub, and now it's gone. Now the site is extra lame. Screw it.
Old 1st March 2020
  #22
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
I do not like the Gearpage. I am always afraid some jerk is going to object to an insightful or trenchant comment and complain, like some church lady. Ironically, for a gear page, the mainly interesting forum was the Pub, and now it's gone. Now the site is extra lame. Screw it.
I thought the Pub was gone but once I was logged back in it was there.I guess they set it so only members can see it now.
Old 3rd March 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
Y...with a Mod saying whatever goes on on other forums shouldn't be discussed on TGP...
That is fairly typical.

Actually, I kind of wondered if this thread was gonna be locked for it.
Old 3rd March 2020
  #24
Lives for gear
 

I don't know whether this is an issue to be discussed here - but on the other hand, how should all people banned from TGP discuss it if not somewhere else?
Having said that, I'm banned there, too, as a result of a drama of almost epic proportions (and I can safely say that I haven't caused it). Won't bother you with the details but it certainly showed the worse sides of internet communication. And I had to seriously rethink my decision (made plenty of years ago) to continue using my real life name online.

Anyway, I basically got there to share information about modeling technology and it seemed the best place for that. And while this might sound arrogant or whatever, I'd say I added quite some "content" (I'm into that kinda thing for a long time already), which basically is what forums are all about, you need both folks to ask questions and those to answer them. I can safely say that I ansered more questions than I asked, so in a nutshell it's their loss.

Fwiw, I still look into the modeling subforum every now and then (as long as it's possible without being logged in) and it's quite ridiculous. The same questions over and over and over again, the same answers, the same "my modeler is bigger than yours and I owned them all" nonsense, mainly coming from people with rather little playing experience. Has always been fun when some 100% home dwelling folks (and no, I have absolutely nothing against those, after all they're keeping the scene alive by buying the most stuff) would try to tell me what was the best solution for live gigs and that things were no problem.

Whatever, regarding the moderation, GS is a *way* better place to be.
Old 3rd March 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
And I'll say this, the moderation here on GS is excellent. I'm not just saying that, it is excellent here.
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that!

I got perma banned here once by a mod and told flat out that I was banned because he just didn't like me and wished I would go away. Once I started making noise and posting about it on the GS facebook page and tagging Jules on twitter, the mod quickly reversed himself and unbanned me and asked me to please stop outing him on the GS social media pages.
2
Share
Old 3rd March 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I got perma banned here once by a mod and told flat out that I was banned because he just didn't like me and wished I would go away. Once I started making noise and posting about it on the GS facebook page and tagging Jules on twitter, the mod quickly reversed himself and unbanned me and asked me to please stop outing him on the GS social media pages.
Oh wow, that's quite ridiculous. I mean, sure, mods are just humans as well (at least I hope they usually are), so personal reactions are understandable.
But to suit a moderation job, one of the prerequisites to do so would be to keep personal things out of moderating decisions, just as what referees are supposed to do all the time.
2
Share
Old 3rd March 2020
  #27
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
That is fairly typical.

Actually, I kind of wondered if this thread was gonna be locked for it.
The thread was about the Fractal FM3,and it was announced on the Fractal forum when the first units would be shipping.It's not like there was another source for the release date at the time.
Old 3rd March 2020
  #28
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
I don't know whether this is an issue to be discussed here - but on the other hand, how should all people banned from TGP discuss it if not somewhere else?
Having said that, I'm banned there, too, as a result of a drama of almost epic proportions (and I can safely say that I haven't caused it). Won't bother you with the details but it certainly showed the worse sides of internet communication. And I had to seriously rethink my decision (made plenty of years ago) to continue using my real life name online.

Anyway, I basically got there to share information about modeling technology and it seemed the best place for that. And while this might sound arrogant or whatever, I'd say I added quite some "content" (I'm into that kinda thing for a long time already), which basically is what forums are all about, you need both folks to ask questions and those to answer them. I can safely say that I ansered more questions than I asked, so in a nutshell it's their loss.

Fwiw, I still look into the modeling subforum every now and then (as long as it's possible without being logged in) and it's quite ridiculous. The same questions over and over and over again, the same answers, the same "my modeler is bigger than yours and I owned them all" nonsense, mainly coming from people with rather little playing experience. Has always been fun when some 100% home dwelling folks (and no, I have absolutely nothing against those, after all they're keeping the scene alive by buying the most stuff) would try to tell me what was the best solution for live gigs and that things were no problem.

Whatever, regarding the moderation, GS is a *way* better place to be.
I remember you being over there,I wondered why I didn't see you posting anymore.
Old 3rd March 2020
  #29
Gear Nut
 
froleich's Avatar
 

What happened over at The Gear Page? (Renegades Unite!!)



1
Share
Old 3rd March 2020
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Oh wow, that's quite ridiculous. I mean, sure, mods are just humans as well (at least I hope they usually are), so personal reactions are understandable.
I hear you - not every mod here is awful, there are some that are actually fair. But there are some mods here who do have a hard-on for me and I have gotten some weird infractions.

Another time I posted in a pop music thread about how I liked the music to "Firework" but I didn't like the lyrics and I got an infraction for insulting Katy Perry or some crap. How was I to know the mod was a huge Katy Perry fan! I didn't mean to insult his princess!

What is cool though is usually the few infractions I've gotten that seem to be personal like that one, I've been able to get removed pretty quickly by messaging some of the more fair mods and pointing it out. I've gotten infractions removed in a day.
Closed
Topic:
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear