The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your Description of TONE?
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Nut

What's your Description of TONE?

Twang ...(mid) bite ...chime ... crunch ...presence.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Nut

115 views and no one knows their tone. I must have landed in the Betty Crocker forum.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

English words don't describe it. It's an excercise in futility...
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

My viewpoint will be arriving a bit late; still working on it. Love Betty Crocker brownies with English walnuts, though.

https://www.google.com/search?sa=N&q...w=1366&bih=657

Last edited by AfterViewer; 25th February 2020 at 06:12 PM..
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Treble and bass
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

twang with some thwack and chime with some swoosh.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
Treble and bass
ahh yes...scooped.
Old 25th February 2020
In terms of guitar sound? I would say 'tone' often generally refers to the interrelationship between playing dynamics and timbre, one's 'sound.'
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
In terms of guitar sound? I would say 'tone' often generally refers to the interrelationship between playing dynamics and timbre, one's 'sound.'
op's not axing about tone , but rather TONE, which is an important distinction, as far as i'm concerned.
Old 25th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstcaseontario View Post
op's not axing about tone , but rather TONE, which is an important distinction, as far as i'm concerned.
Ah! Of course... I see my error!

That said, I've never been afraid to double down on a mistake... I'll raise you...

Old 25th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstcaseontario View Post
Yup! Exactly why I capped it.

So ..you was right on!
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

There was a guitarist named Brent
Whose tone was exclusively djent
He couldn't play clean
or crunch worth a bean
but then that was not his intent
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Head

was that a TONE poem?
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Nut

In more professional guitar forums guys know their tone. This was obviously my mistake.
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by froleich View Post
In more professional guitar forums guys know their tone. This was obviously my mistake.
If one knows and understands his chosen sound, I'm not sure what the point of jawboning about it is.

Also, though I get it that, for a lot of guitarists, one's sound comprises an often complicated interrelationship of stomp boxes, effects, careful amp staging, etc, there are those of whom it can said that, 'their tone is in their fingertips' -- those distinctive players whose musical identity seems to emerge from every phrase, to be part of every nuanced note, whatever guitar they are playing. Those are the guys I try to pay attention to. That said, it's their playing I'm paying attention to, since, by and large, it's my perception that those guys don't tend to go on about 'their sound.' They just, you know, play.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds about right.
Old 26th February 2020
I didn't mean to suggest that there was no value talking about tone, particularly for those who are still developing their own approach to guitar or for those who are restless with what they might perceive as their own limitations or the limitations of their sound as they've currently conceived it... so, you know, I guess it's 'go on about your business' -- and talk about what you will.
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I didn't mean to suggest that there was no value talking about tone, particularly for those who are still developing their own approach to guitar or for those who are restless with what they might perceive as their own limitations or the limitations of their sound as they've currently conceived it... so, you know, I guess it's 'go on about your business' -- and talk about what you will.
Generally speaking, those guys should spend a lot less time talking and a lot more time playing.

When your tone is good you'll know it.

There are two kinds of tone -good and bad. There are many variations of each. And since it's a matter of taste there's considerable overlap - what some people consider great others consider horrible and vice-versa.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 4 weeks ago at 03:15 PM..
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

You want tone? Listen to an original 1960 45rpm record of the Ventures' "Walk Don't Run".

That's tone.

Last edited by lame pseudonym; 27th February 2020 at 06:48 PM..
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Nut

Actually some of you seem real new to this concept. Kinda thrown off guard. That's OK.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

skanky. swampy.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

first get it sounding cushy, then tweak until it's .....Kushy.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Have a tone bone installed on your guitar's oscillator and you won't have to think or talk about tonelessness. Unless, of course you are tone-deaf.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict

I would say it’s when you have things finely dialed in, and it sounds so sweet it’s killing your tempo.
That’s tone...
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

TONE:

[1] pre interweb ( usually rendered in lowercase): A control on an amplifier or instrument that traditionally provides treble cut, but may also boost frequencies in some circumstances.

[2] Post interweb (usually rendered in uppercase) : A chimera that obsesses most all guitarists and many synth players and holds to two basic tenants:

a. Great musicians of the past sounded good because their exact combination of equipment (which is usually now unavailable or very hard to get) gave them a superb "tone"

b. Any artistic deficiency in the notes chosen or the execution/articulation of any current player can be corrected by obtaining the right "tone," which is, in turn dependent on obtaining an exact (but unknown) special combination of equipment.

This may include:

i. Russian capacitors as guitar tone controls

ii. Any electronic product that was only manufactured for a short period of time, and is hard to source (see also "unobtanium" and "Halstead's law " - the TONE of a device is inversely proportional to how easy it is to obtain) )

iii. Old growth wood

iv. Vintage components that have fallen out of spec, thus greatly improving on the intent of the original circuit designer

v. Anything older than the musician in question

vi. Some things very new and expensive that do things a "new" way. (see "plasma distortions" "optical spring reverbs" synths using motor driven tone generators etc).

vii Things that used to be considered inferior but have now taken on some mysterious aura because they are "vintage" (Vintage Danelectro guitars, Silvertone amps, germanium transistors etc ) see also the depreciation theory of amp construction - All major manufacturers realized their perfect amp circuit between 1959 and 1969, and have been trying to ruin it ever since.

viii. Any component that is no longer manufactured because it had toxic ingredients like Beryllium (Damn government stealing your tone)

And so on, I'm sure y'all can fill in some more.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
TONE:

[1] pre interweb ( usually rendered in lowercase): A control on an amplifier or instrument that traditionally provides treble cut, but may also boost frequencies in some circumstances.

[2] Post interweb (usually rendered in uppercase) : A chimera that obsesses most all guitarists and many synth players and holds to two basic tenants:

a. Great musicians of the past sounded good because their exact combination of equipment (which is usually now unavailable or very hard to get) gave them a superb "tone"

b. Any artistic deficiency in the notes chosen or the execution/articulation of any current player can be corrected by obtaining the right "tone," which is, in turn dependent on obtaining an exact (but unknown) special combination of equipment.

This may include:

i. Russian capacitors as guitar tone controls

ii. Any electronic product that was only manufactured for a short period of time, and is hard to source (see also "unobtanium" and "Halstead's law " - the TONE of a device is inversely proportional to how easy it is to obtain) )

iii. Old growth wood

iv. Vintage components that have fallen out of spec, thus greatly improving on the intent of the original circuit designer

v. Anything older than the musician in question

vi. Some things very new and expensive that do things a "new" way. (see "plasma distortions" "optical spring reverbs" synths using motor driven tone generators etc).

vii Things that used to be considered inferior but have now taken on some mysterious aura because they are "vintage" (Vintage Danelectro guitars, Silvertone amps, germanium transistors etc ) see also the depreciation theory of amp construction - All major manufacturers realized their perfect amp circuit between 1959 and 1969, and have been trying to ruin it ever since.

viii. Any component that is no longer manufactured because it had toxic ingredients like Beryllium (Damn government stealing your tone)

And so on, I'm sure y'all can fill in some more.
I love it.

iii-The stradivarius and a load of wood fished out of the great lakes 15 years ago.
Viii- I have some Beryllium Mic's they sound fantastic.

It blows me away that arguably the best mic in the world (U47) has not been clearly surpassed with today's teck. That mic was designed by the inventor of the Condenser mic. Nobody can do it better in 73 years?

I was not able to define "Halstead's law " with google. Can you define it?

When I started recording for a living, I looked at thing like there was about 100 magic pieces of gear every studio had to have: Hammond B3, U87, 1176, LA2A, 1073, Stienway Grand, etc......
Things have not changed much other than tons if cheap imitations on the market to suck cash.

To me what really has changed is the attention span and focus of people. To much media.

Back on target. Tone: A pleasing balance of a system's or instrument's responsiveness measured in terms of Volume, EQ, Transients, thickness(Saturation), clarity(close to the inputs sound), foldbacks(Chorus, flange, delay, reverb), and interactions between all of the qualities.

I tend to use materials and shapes to describe tones. Was just posting on another thread that I describe:
4038 is papery
Distressor is a plastic oval
SM57 is boxy

I tend to like cardboard, wood, concrete type sounds. Where I don't like metallic and plastic type sounds, even though I do like the sound of a distressor I would not consider that classy like the 4038.

I tend to like rounded and 3D type sounds vs, line and flat sounds.
Eventide hardware is a 3D pyramid.
Old 28th February 2020
For me guitar tone is Eric Johnson, Carlos Santana, David Gilmour, SRV, Wes Montgomery, George Benson,... amongst many others.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I love it.

I was not able to define "Halstead's law " with google. Can you define it?
That's because I invented it (my last name is Halstead)

On reflection, I suppose one really doesn't "invent" a law, but "discovers" it. Never mind.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Are we talking:
- Frequencies?
- Personally prefered frequencies?
- Tone as in "timbre" or "finger tone"?

Usually, when it comes to guitar player "tones", it's mainly the latter. But I'm not sure that's what this thread is about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
TONE:
This is the definitive guide to TONE. My quest is over. Well, except for actually doing/buying anything on your exhaustive list of course
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search