The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gibson Discoverer, Fender Champ, or Silvertone 1482?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Gibson Discoverer, Fender Champ, or Silvertone 1482?

So I'm in the market for a small tube amp, takes pedals real well, breaks up nice, and is great for home studio use. Something vintage, cause I wanna get saucy with it.

I'm already rocking a (modern) Vox AC10, and while I love it, it's time to add some more tonal choices. I mostly record rock, punk, indie, etc.

I've found all of the aforementioned amps (Gibson Discoverer, Fender Champ, Silvertone 1482) for roughly the same price. Unfortunately, I don't live in an area where I can try any of them for myself.

Anyone have any recommendations? Is it a no-brainer get-the-Champ situation? I'm sure they all have mojo, but which is the best bang for the buck? I'm prioritizing great overdrive sounds, with smooth cleans as a bonus.

Thanks in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush122 View Post
So I'm in the market for a small tube amp, takes pedals real well, breaks up nice, and is great for home studio use. Something vintage, cause I wanna get saucy with it.

I'm already rocking a (modern) Vox AC10, and while I love it, it's time to add some more tonal choices. I mostly record rock, punk, indie, etc.

I've found all of the aforementioned amps (Gibson Discoverer, Fender Champ, Silvertone 1482) for roughly the same price. Unfortunately, I don't live in an area where I can try any of them for myself.

Anyone have any recommendations? Is it a no-brainer get-the-Champ situation? I'm sure they all have mojo, but which is the best bang for the buck? I'm prioritizing great overdrive sounds, with smooth cleans as a bonus.

Thanks in advance!
Which Champ? There were several models made in different era's. I find Champs very limited in what they do, but they have a "sound". I do like BF VibroChamp's as long as you don't blast them.
Discoverer was one of the few amps I sold. Didn't bond with it. Neither did the clients. But its not too bad (some used tubes which were not made any more)
Silvertone 1482 is a nice little amp. I quite like it
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I prefer a 12" speaker, out of those I'd go for the Silvertone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Which Champ? There were several models made in different era's.
I'm seeing mostly early and late 70s models. 71s and 76s. Supposedly, of course. If there's some sort of white whale model, do tell.

Any reason why you prefer the Silvertone to the Champ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush122 View Post
I'm seeing mostly early and late 70s models. 71s and 76s. Supposedly, of course. If there's some sort of white whale model, do tell.

Any reason why you prefer the Silvertone to the Champ?
Champ has no clean head-room to talk about. It gets muddy pretty quickly unless you use a very low output pickup, which would make it sound lifeless. Everybody talks about Clapton using one , flat out with a LP. That's the only half-usable sound it does. EC was after a dark, solid tone which is what he got. Nothing else, usable is available from a Champ. The other reason is a small (8") in a small box which makes for a smallish sound. BF Champ is different, and in a Vibro-Champ version gives you a pretty clean-ish Vibro voice. Not a great deal more. Silver Face champs are the worst of the lot. Although fairly close to BF Vibros they seem dry and flat. I think the transformer is different, that's possibly the reason.

Silvertone is like a a super Vibro-champ with a tone of a tweed fender and bitier top end. The bigger speaker helps too, plus more control. Takes pedals much better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Champ has no clean head-room to talk about. It gets muddy pretty quickly unless you use a very low output pickup, which would make it sound lifeless. Everybody talks about Clapton using one , flat out with a LP. That's the only half-usable sound it does. EC was after a dark, solid tone which is what he got. Nothing else, usable is available from a Champ. The other reason is a small (8") in a small box which makes for a smallish sound. BF Champ is different, and in a Vibro-Champ version gives you a pretty clean-ish Vibro voice. Not a great deal more. Silver Face champs are the worst of the lot. Although fairly close to BF Vibros they seem dry and flat. I think the transformer is different, that's possibly the reason.

Silvertone is like a a super Vibro-champ with a tone of a tweed fender and bitier top end. The bigger speaker helps too, plus more control. Takes pedals much better.
I wish I still had at least some of the Silvertone gear that passed through my hands at the San Jose flea market in the '70s...

Or my first amp, for that matter. It was a Silvertone Twin Twelve combo amp, #1474 , 4 6L6s, made when they still were covered in black, not speckled grey. Didn't know what I had.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I wish I still had at least some of the Silvertone gear that passed through my hands at the San Jose flea market in the '70s...

Or my first amp, for that matter. It was a Silvertone Twin Twelve combo amp, #1474 , 4 6L6s, made when they still were covered in black, not speckled grey. Didn't know what I had.
Yes. They are as good as the old fenders... But everyone wanted an "F" amp. Could pick them up for next to nothing. Ditto Magnatones. Great amps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes. They are as good as the old fenders... But everyone wanted an "F" amp. Could pick them up for next to nothing. Ditto Magnatones. Great amps.
The Silvertone piggybacks were a bit underpowered compared to Fender - actually my Twin 12 combo was compared to a Twin - only 55 watts compared to 88. and the piggyback Twin Twelve only put out 20-25 watts out of two 6L6s.

But the Silvertones had amazing tone.

Most people don't realize it, but those are Silvertone amps on the first Velvet Underground album.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

All the whole time since maybe around 1970 I've been saying "When are guys going to catch on to these Silvertone amps? When are guys going to catch on to these Silvertone amps?"

Wasn't that what Randy California was using on those wonderful first few Spirit albums?

Wretched construction but oy, the sound!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I love blackface fenders ...that said not a champ fan,
I would go silvertone as well.
Make sure it has good filter caps , and gtg.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm not normally a fan of such things, but you can pick up a Joyo/Harley Benton/Ammoon American Sound pedal for about £25 that can instantly make a Vox amp sound very close to a variety of Fenders especially if you combine it with reverb. There are various demos on Youtube.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I'm not normally a fan of such things, but you can pick up a Joyo/Harley Benton/Ammoon American Sound pedal for about £25 that can instantly make a Vox amp sound very close to a variety of Fenders especially if you combine it with reverb. There are various demos on Youtube.
I could never find any of my Vox's (63-recent HW) to sound like a fender amp. Different bottom end, gurgly mids, and different presence. I have 865 pedals not one of them makes a vox into a fender.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
All the whole time since maybe around 1970 I've been saying "When are guys going to catch on to these Silvertone amps? When are guys going to catch on to these Silvertone amps?"

Wasn't that what Randy California was using on those wonderful first few Spirit albums?

Wretched construction but oy, the sound!
I don't know what Randy California was using in the studio but he did sound the same live, even when I saw them on tour supporting the "Fresh Garbage" LP at a dinky local Teen Center in Wheaton Maryland. Then he played a Tele, most often just on the bridge pup through a Jordan Boss Tone Fuzz, with the tone control rolled way back until climaxes of solos, all through a Twin Reverb. He had a wah then but didn't use it a lot. The next time I saw them at a Civic Center sized performance he had added an Echoplex and an extension Showman cab.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could never find any of my Vox's (63-recent HW) to sound like a fender amp. Different bottom end, gurgly mids, and different presence. I have 865 pedals not one of them makes a vox into a fender.
This is the pedal A/Bed against a Fender Deluxe. I think he's just using it direct into a line input, but if you put it into an AC30 or a valve amp, it really transforms it. Not sure how it works, but if you set it to the cleanest setting it's almost as if it removes some of the amp's distortion. I'm not saying it would fool you into thinking it was a Fender, but it impressed me and I've been using a Dual Showman most of my life.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is the pedal A/Bed against a Fender Deluxe. I think he's just using it direct into a line input, but if you put it into an AC30 or a valve amp, it really transforms it. Not sure how it works, but if you set it to the cleanest setting it's almost as if it removes some of the amp's distortion. I'm not saying it would fool you into thinking it was a Fender, but it impressed me and I've been using a Dual Showman most of my life.

I have 2x BF Delux's and a tweed one. Also 870 pedals and pre's . Never got an AC30 to sound like anything else wil a pedal (which does change the sound as a pedal should).
There are pedals (don't the Yoyo one) which have a tube amp topology in SS form). Marshall ones , fender ones... Some (tube pres, like the Kingsleys) are more successful then others. But superimposing that over another amp does not give you the tone of something else, just a different tone. The AC30 has a "design mistake" in its design which makes it harder to emulate too. Something to remember is that the output transformer is different, and its a big part of the sound.
But yes, you will get a different tone with any overdrive/distortion/fuzz/boost you use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have 2x BF Delux's and a tweed one. Also 870 pedals and pre's . Never got an AC30 to sound like anything else wil a pedal (which does change the sound as a pedal should).
There are pedals (don't the Yoyo one) which have a tube amp topology in SS form). Marshall ones , fender ones... Some (tube pres, like the Kingsleys) are more successful then others. But superimposing that over another amp does not give you the tone of something else, just a different tone. The AC30 has a "design mistake" in its design which makes it harder to emulate too. Something to remember is that the output transformer is different, and its a big part of the sound.
But yes, you will get a different tone with any overdrive/distortion/fuzz/boost you use.
I can only comment on how it sounds to my ears, though I'll add that I demo-ed it to a friend a couple of days ago (going into a Selmer treble and bass amp) and he ordered one on the spot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can only comment on how it sounds to my ears, though I'll add that I demo-ed it to a friend a couple of days ago (going into a Selmer treble and bass amp) and he ordered one on the spot.
I cant argue either way cause i have zero experience with this pedal. May give it a try, then I can make an educated statement, otherwise i am just blowing air.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search