The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is This Kemper Profiler Setup Correct?
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

Is This Kemper Profiler Setup Correct?

Hi all,

I am purchasing a Kemper Profiler Amp soon, and I would like some opinions on if my current setup will support the Kemper. Planning to use an RME babyface pro as my interface and KRK rokit 5 studio monitors for bedroom playing. Will my interface suffice for DAW use with the Kemper and does anyone have any recommendations on best studio monitors for use with the Kemper? Thinking about retiring my KRK rokit 5's.

Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Maniac

Should be good with what you've got(not personally used either the RME or Rockit's though).

I would pick studio monitors for mixing needs more than Kemper needs tbh.

Are you going to use analogue connections or spdif? Just be aware spdif on the kemper is digital not optical (lol at least I think that's right - I just use the analogue connects)

Once you get the Kemper and register, the forums are really good, some helpful people there .. (saying this before the idiots dive in on this thread and get it locked lol)
Happy Kempering mate ...
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctex View Post
Hi all,

I am purchasing a Kemper Profiler Amp soon, and I would like some opinions on if my current setup will support the Kemper. Planning to use an RME babyface pro as my interface and KRK rokit 5 studio monitors for bedroom playing. Will my interface suffice for DAW use with the Kemper and does anyone have any recommendations on best studio monitors for use with the Kemper? Thinking about retiring my KRK rokit 5's.

Thanks!
Regarding the RME, create a user account on the Kemper forum and ask your question here: https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/k

The KRK should be good to go, although in my experience KRK are on the treble side.

For bedroom playing or gigging, check out the HeadRush FRFR-108. The HeadRush is amazing.

You need great profiles, TAF: https://www.theampfactory.com/
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac

+1 on the Headrush - awesome little thing.

It's worth spending half an hour or so an evening looking at the Kemper instructional vids because it is it's own animal.

Things like the amp morphing are mind boggling
Old 24th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctex View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
That's not really a valid question.The best studio monitors for the Kemper would be the best studio monitors to use for everything, and honestly, that's a very personal question.

I have a pair of Rokit 5s that I currently use for my computer speakers, since I upgraded both sets in the studio. If you like the way they sound they should be fine.

What would be BEST? I dunno, maybe a pair of ATCs, which I'd like to upgrade TO. But they're probably out of your price range. They're out of mine at present.

The "FRFR Thing" is kind of a sales buzzword. "FRFR" means "Full Range Flat Response". Any good quality studio monitor should fill that bill (except NS-10s or Auratones). "FRFR" is mostly used to differentiate speakers designed for stuff designed to use with Kempers and sims from typical guitar speakers, which are generally anything BUT full range, flat response.

RME makes good stuff. They're one of the more respected brands in their price bracket.
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
The "FRFR Thing" is kind of a sales buzzword. "FRFR" means "Full Range Flat Response". Any good quality studio monitor should fill that bill
Yes, true. FRFR is a buzzword.

@ nyctex , my experience won't be your experience.

I play and record with Kemper. I use Alesis M1 Active near field monitors. I've been mixing TV commercials, network TV and music with my Alesis monitors for twenty years. My Alesis monitors aren't perfect. They are on the bass side. But here's the deal, when I take my mixes to a recording studio my monitors are so close it's unreal, and so I compensate with the difference.

It's the same thing with the KRK. Basically the idea is don't dial in anything extra. Keep the monitors flat and trust the monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

"FRFR" is mostly used to differentiate speakers designed for stuff designed to use with Kempers and sims from typical guitar speakers, which are generally anything BUT full range, flat response.
Completely and absolutely true.

The HeadRush 108 has a built in massive bottom end. It is not FRFR. I've bought and sold nearly every "FRFR" monitor. And yet the HeadRush is true to my near field Alesis monitors.

The engineering and the tech into the HeadRush is amazing. It's a tiny 8 inch with huge sound. I can play/mix/record Kemper with my Alesis monitors and also play with the HeadRush sounding virtually the same. The HeadRush is an incredibly great low cost little monitor that blows the doors off every other FRFR monitor I've owned.

Disclosure: I have not used the CLR Atomic which I assume are great, and one other monitor a forum member mentioned in the past.
Old 24th February 2020
If you like how your setup sounds now and how demos of the Kemper sound that you’ve found online, then the Kemper should sound fine with it to you!

Just keep the expectation that it’s the control room sound not amp in the room sound you’ll be getting. If you’re after bass thump then you will need speakers that deliver that, you will need volume to get feedback, and if you really want to experience it just like a guitar amp in the room then you’d more likely want a guitar cab style monitoring solution like the upcoming Kemper Kone.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search