The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I want to take my Fender Blues Jr to Europe
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Maniac
I want to take my Fender Blues Jr to Europe

My wife and I are moving to Spain from the US. I have a Fender Blues Jr and I would love to take it with me. Of course the power input is 120V and in Spain it will be 240V. Would I be able to conver this amp and take it with me? I see there are transformers available that will knock 240 down to 120 but they won't correct from 50Hz to 60Hz. Would this work?

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Nut

I believe the Hz correction is in the unit. Not a tech but it's what I've heard.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by froleich View Post
I believe the Hz correction is in the unit. Not a tech but it's what I've heard.
Thanks for the reply. I put the same question to the fender forum. Just occurred to me this morning that I should consult with the local amp guy to see what his thoughts are.
Old 23rd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlierbeck View Post
My wife and I are moving to Spain from the US. I have a Fender Blues Jr and I would love to take it with me. Of course the power input is 120V and in Spain it will be 240V. Would I be able to conver this amp and take it with me? I see there are transformers available that will knock 240 down to 120 but they won't correct from 50Hz to 60Hz. Would this work?

Thanks
There is no Hz correction - the amp doesn't need it.

There is an international replacement power transformer available. Talk to a tech.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 23rd February 2020 at 12:20 AM..
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Head

Why don't you sell it and buy another one in Spain?
sPAIN is not a desert.
Plenty Blues juniors over there
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Nut

OP:

It's not rocket science ..I have one of these and it's great. You can get the same type in different wattage. Make sure the wattage covers the amount listed on the power plug input on the amp (input wattage). DON'T confuse this with the output wattage - 50 watt amp ..100 watt amp, etc. They're different.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
There is no Hz correction - the amp doesn't need it.

There is an international replacement power transformer available. Talk to a tech.
Thank you that is valuable information. I'm going to talk to the local amp guru this week.
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam mac View Post
Why don't you sell it and buy another one in Spain?
sPAIN is not a desert.
Plenty Blues juniors over there
Yes that is another option. We will have a shipping continer so I've effectively already paid the shipping. Right now I'm exploring the options. I have to make these decisions about everything in our home studio. Sellng everything and then buying it again will most likely be more hassle than I want to take on. Fortunately, most things I have are dual power supply. Also our Spain house is in a pretty rural area. I don't yet know if there will be the equivalent of Craigslist for finding used gear, but I hope so.

Thanks,
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by froleich View Post
OP:

It's not rocket science ..I have one of these and it's great. You can get the same type in different wattage. Make sure the wattage covers the amount listed on the power plug input on the amp (input wattage). DON'T confuse this with the output wattage - 50 watt amp ..100 watt amp, etc. They're different.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the reply.

It would be even easier if one of these adapters did the trick. I just didn't know if the 50/60Hz frequency would be an issue. Thanks for reminding me to look at the input wattage.
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

It would be even easier if one of these adapters did the trick. I just didn't know if the 50/60Hz frequency would be an issue. Thanks for reminding me to look at the input wattage.
One does do the trick - both ways. I was just saying select the right one by wattage. I only needed 200.
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes that is another option. We will have a shipping continer so I've effectively already paid the shipping. Right now I'm exploring the options. I have to make these decisions about everything in our home studio. Sellng everything and then buying it again will most likely be more hassle than I want to take on. Fortunately, most things I have are dual power supply. Also our Spain house is in a pretty rural area. I don't yet know if there will be the equivalent of Craigslist for finding used gear, but I hope so.

Thanks,
Ok if you have container I understand!
I don't live in Spain but I've gigged a lot over there, mostly Madrid, Barcelona and the North West, music scene is nice.
I'm sure locals will guide you about finding used gear.
A friend of mine found in Madrid a really nice vintage fender tele for cheap, I think the website was called vibo vibbo? There's probably other networks more music/studio dedicated
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam mac View Post
Ok if you have container I understand!
I don't live in Spain but I've gigged a lot over there, mostly Madrid, Barcelona and the North West, music scene is nice.
I'm sure locals will guide you about finding used gear.
A friend of mine found in Madrid a really nice vintage fender tele for cheap, I think the website was called vibo vibbo? There's probably other networks more music/studio dedicated
I'm curious where you gigged in the North West? Our house is about an hour north of Santiago De Compostela.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm curious where you gigged in the North West? Our house is about an hour north of Santiago De Compostela.
Basque country and Asturias, Bilbao, Avilés, Gijón, Oviedo.. did not have the chance to gig in Galicia, but had the time to visit, beautiful place! Asturias is beautiful too.
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Thank you that is valuable information. I'm going to talk to the local amp guru this week.
Tubes run on DC, so the power supply of the amp converts the 50/60 Hz AC to DC so by the time the power hits the circuitry the frequency of the line voltage is pretty irrelevant.

Now, if you had a Hammond Organ, which is electromechanical and runs on a synchronous motor you'd have a real problem....

BTW, if you get a voltage converter try to make sure it's a real transformer. Some of the SS units can cause noise problems with audio equipment. Real transformers cost more and are heavier, but worth it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search