The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soapbar/P-90 set-up?
Old 21st February 2020
Soapbar/P-90 set-up?

Any advice/tips on setting up soapbar P-90 pick-ups? Much appreciated; thanks in advance
Soapbar/P-90 set-up?-goldstar-p90.png
Attached Thumbnails
Soapbar/P-90 set-up?-goldstar-p90.png  
Old 22nd February 2020
Adjust the screws to the strings sound in balance.

Hmmm - that doesn't sound too grammatical but it gets the idea across.

Since they're soap bars you probably can't adjust the height of the pickups much. On dogears you can use shims.

There might be rubber pads under the pickups that allow a bit of height adjustment but if so it won't be much.
Old 22nd February 2020
Adjust the screws so the strings sound in balance.

Since they're soap bars you probably can't adjust the height of the pickups much. On dogears you can use shims.

There might be rubber pads under the pickups that allow a bit of height adjustment but if so it won't be much.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Maniac

You can get away with sitting them nearer the strings ( less inclined to produce wolf notes) than you can with s/c that use magnetic pole pieces due to the lower magnetic pull and wider coils. In particular the bridge can be higher.
Don't think placement is as critical as with other types of pups though.
As always the best thing is to experiment - nearer the strings will be brighter (plus you can tweak the actual pole pieces to suit )
Old 23rd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniff View Post
You can get away with sitting them nearer the strings ( less inclined to produce wolf notes) than you can with s/c that use magnetic pole pieces due to the lower magnetic pull and wider coils. In particular the bridge can be higher.
Don't think placement is as critical as with other types of pups though.
As always the best thing is to experiment - nearer the strings will be brighter (plus you can tweak the actual pole pieces to suit )
You might not be able to raise the entire pickup - Gibson didn't really design it with that in mind. Depending on what's under it it might be able to go up a little bit but not nearly as much as, e.g. a humbucker. You could put a slightly thicker rubber pad under it.
Old 23rd February 2020
Thanks for your comments. I think you're right that I need to experiment to find the best height. I might try a cork riser underneath. Will post some pics.

I tried the technique of dangling a metal paperclip over the pole magnets (although apparently this is more applicable to Strats) and it's interesting to see how powerful the magnetic effect on the string is.

One thing I read: if the pole is too close it can magnetically pull a held note out of tune or cause phasing issues. The guitar (Hudson Goldstar made in the Cort factory) sounds great acoustically and I've found a good set-up balance in DADF#AD tuning (but not standard which requires an extended bridge). The problem is that the lighter strings tend towards harshness and the heavier ones can get muddy and lose definition. I might need to tilt the pick-up.

Thanks again
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search