The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'temporary' spray paint over poly guitar?
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

'temporary' spray paint over poly guitar?

I have a newish medium-cheap Epi burst guitar and want to keep the center color & create a new outer shape/color. Is there a rattle-can paint that will dissolve in something to remove it and not affect the poly coating;? (so if i want to sell the guitar down the line it can be made stock again.)

It's just for stage work & basically doesn't need to look fantastic up close. I've done lots of painting guitars with Liquitex Acryl, Gloss Polymer Medium etc. to pretty good effect for what i like...And I've been able to remove it when i get tired of the look. It's amazing what can be done with simple tools. Hide glue was used once for a really nice fake amber jewel/scrawl for a pickguard. I once used colored pencils & water-proofed it with hair spray and it's lasted 15 years just fine.

Don't want to get into buying spray guns or look for anybody because it shouldn't be that big a deal. What would dissolve car paint? And would car paint or its solvent cloud that gnarly (epoxy?) finish...? Is there a water-based semi/gloss black spray paint? Craft paint? Graffitti paint? Child-friendly spray paint? I seem to recall a spray paint that was almost a powder, for slate boards or big plastic display boards. Cheap is the operative word!

Any info is appreciated, j
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Head

The very little I know about guitar finishing tells me that no kind of paint is gonna go on a guitar and then come off the guitar without mangling the original finish.
Perhaps some kinda vinyl skin can be customized to your purpose?
Old 21st February 2020
The few kinds of paint I'm aware of that would be safe over another finish aren't very durable and don't look very good.
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

Halfords do a removable wheel paint I think .... never tried on a guitar so could be fun ....

If you do end up scratching a poly finish pm me and I'll give you some tips how to sort it lol
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Perhaps some kinda vinyl skin can be customized to your purpose?
+1 ..

interesting idea ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...31.zjyr3azTlcU

you could design your own in an app like adobe illustrator .. or similar ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
+1 ..

interesting idea ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...31.zjyr3azTlcU

you could design your own in an app like adobe illustrator .. or similar ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
might be tricky getting the edges tidy, be interesting tho'
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniff View Post
might be tricky getting the edges tidy, be interesting tho'
yeah .. good point
i've only researched 'how to' v.wrap cars 'n the like
i.e. what the graphic creation process entails
and the sort of app. files vinyl printers prefer

mus be a tidy way to do it over a guitar body
.. some how .. { have not looked thru that search link }

`````````````````````````````````````````````
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Plasti Dip might do the job.
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac

I just found MTN WATER BASED SEMI-TRANSPARENT BLACK. It's for graffitti, says water-proof after drying. Says "2 color"... i guess its black + a clear satin carrier. Luckily i wanted it black!
Don't know what would disolve it yet, or what guitar finish would look like after... But if it's water based can't be too strong.

Checked out Plasti Dip & that seems like no problem getting it off safely, but the semi-trans MTN is almost perfect for transitioning from the burst center color out to the edge of the guitar.

Any one familiar with Montana water-based paint? Or its MTN line?
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyr View Post
I just found MTN WATER BASED SEMI-TRANSPARENT BLACK. It's for graffitti, says water-proof after drying. Says "2 color"... i guess its black + a clear satin carrier. Luckily i wanted it black!
Don't know what would disolve it yet, or what guitar finish would look like after... But if it's water based can't be too strong.

Checked out Plasti Dip & that seems like no problem getting it off safely, but the semi-trans MTN is almost perfect for transitioning from the burst center color out to the edge of the guitar.

Any one familiar with Montana water-based paint? Or its MTN line?
More and more paints are water based now, I use them as base coats for crash helmets etc. That said transparent enamels are still king imo.

The only problem you might have is keying to get the paint to stick to the poly coat.
I use Plastikote or similar for pickguards, but not sure how it will affect a poly finish, and doubt you can remove it later.

Why not just commit to a new paintjob - what's the worse that can happen

ps - if liquitex worked previously and could be removed, why not use that?
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a newish medium-cheap Epi burst guitar and want to keep the center color & create a new outer shape/color. Is there a rattle-can paint that will dissolve in something to remove it and not affect the poly coating;? (so if i want to sell the guitar down the line it can be made stock again.)j
it won't dissolve in but you can spray Nitro over poly, just lightly scuff it with 400 grit. You can buy the Watcom or Behlen or Mohawk Lacquer at home depot and it is great finish.

Quote:
Don't want to get into buying spray guns or look for anybody because it shouldn't be that big a deal.
Cans will yield a finish as good as a spray gun, it is just not as efficient due to overspray.

Quote:
What would dissolve car paint?
What kind of car paint? there are 3 or 4 different types. Acrylic, Nitro or Water based lacquers and catalyst lacquers.
this will pretty much remove anything but be careful it will melt binding and nuts

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/ai...-paint-remover

Quote:
And would car paint or its solvent cloud that gnarly (epoxy?) finish...?
no not at all. Fender and Gibson used car paint for years

Quote:
Is there a water-based semi/gloss black spray paint?
Yes Behlen makes it among other vendors like Mohawk

Quote:
Craft paint? Graffitti paint? Child-friendly spray paint? I seem to recall a spray paint that was almost a powder, for slate boards or big plastic display boards. Cheap is the operative word!
Any info is appreciated, j
Water based is a friendly
Old 24th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post

Over or under other, dissimilar paints?

I don't think so.

When painting over a dissimilar finish it's a good idea to do a compatibility check with the manufacturer.
Old 24th February 2020
Quote:

I don't think so.

When painting over a dissimilar finish it's a good idea to do a compatibility check with the manufacturer.

And not all Gibson finishes were car paint. A lot of them were nitro, depending on the model and the year.
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

I don't think so.
Yes John you can put nitro over Poly, just not the other way around. Vinyl sealer, sanding sealer, epoxy and even bondo are used under nitro and those are dissimilar chemicals too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
And not all Gibson finishes were car paint. A lot of them were nitro, depending on the model and the year.
John I never stated anywhere that Gibson and Fender only used Car paint, they often used them for Candy colors and other opaque finishes in the 60s
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Maniac

I can't spend $ on a proper paint job... there is none.

thanks all for info!! it's much appreciated. Learning a lot...
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear
Temporary paint?

Old 29th February 2020
Quote:
Yes John you can put nitro over Poly, just not the other way around. Vinyl sealer, sanding sealer, epoxy and even bondo are used under nitro and those are dissimilar chemicals too.

You can't assume. Just because one finish gets along with one dissimilar chemical doesn't mean it does with all.

You should always do a compatibility check where it won't show, and/or check with the manufacturers if possible.

I've seen a few cases where dissimilar finishes/materials didn't appear to react at first, but after a bit of time they did.

Quote:
John I never stated anywhere that Gibson and Fender only used Car paint, they often used them for Candy colors and other opaque finishes in the 60s
You kind of implied it.

A Candy Color is not opaque - it is clear. The clear, pigmented Candy coat is applied over an opaque metallic substrate. That's what gives the Candy effect.

The depth of the finish is controlled by the number of coats of Candy color.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search