The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Breaking-in guitar speaker, What difference does it makes?
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Breaking-in guitar speaker, What difference does it makes?

s many know, guitar speaker needs some breaking-in time to sound the best they could, but I was curious to find out what exactly changes as speaker "breaks in" So I compared speakers that I have played for last year and brand new speaker that been played just for couple minutes before recoding this video. I did my best to achieve exactly the same mic placement(dead center on cap, right in front of grill) but as you may know every single speaker sounds bit different from others, so on this video it's three old speakers and one new. I think that fresh speaker sounds more flubby, and somehow produces more unwanted frequencies and whereas "breaker-in" is more focussed and tighter with all frequencies that you want. But it's up to you to decide. Only thing to remember, that if you buy brand new cab or speaker, give it some good run at loud volumes before make your mind if you like cab or not.

Old 18th February 2020
Well, it varies with the model of speaker and the exact materials used in its construction.

When a speaker is brand new usually the materials used in the suspension (spider and surround) start out somewhat stiffer than they will be after a bit of use. It's essentially the same thing as breaking in a new pair of shoes.

The one thing I would NOT call most broken in speakers is "tighter". Physically they're usually a bit looser, for obvious reasons. However this also makes it easier for the speaker to accurately track the signal from the amp, which can make them somewhat more detailed and in some cases a bit 'warmer" - to me a brand new speaker often sounds just a wee bit "cold" and slightly deficient in low end.

By the same token the broken in speaker may be slightly more efficient since there's a bit less resistance to movement.

Not really interested in the video - there are too many possible unknown (or unstated) variables. And with all the speakers in the came cab there's going to be unavoidable interaction between them.

And the guy talks too much.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 18th February 2020 at 03:45 AM..
Old 18th February 2020

I'd wager that most speaker models have variation (especially over the course of a year or two) that is nearly equal to the same speaker pre/post "break in". This is more true when listening to guitar speakers than Hi-Fi. Guitarists like speakers that distort and change the sound - and that's typically achieved by using outdated materials (which vary more than modern materials).

-tINY

Old 20th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I'd wager that most speaker models have variation (especially over the course of a year or two) that is nearly equal to the same speaker pre/post "break in". This is more true when listening to guitar speakers than Hi-Fi. Guitarists like speakers that distort and change the sound - and that's typically achieved by using outdated materials (which vary more than modern materials).

-tINY

I'd probably take that bet.
Old 21st February 2020
http://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klip...on_line_06.pdf

This is an interesting article. It claims F(s) can vary up to 10% over the range of temperatures and humidity on production lines.....

So, the conditions in the room may matter more than any break in.

Just 10 units of the same driver could provide the answers. It'd be an interesting test to run.

-tINY

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search