The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec. pre-amp tube recommendation
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Mesa Boogie Dual Rec. pre-amp tube recommendation

Hi all,

I own a Mesa Dual Rec. 2 channel and I want to replace the pre-amp tubes. I’ve already heard several times that the pre-amp tubes in a dual rectifier can have quite the influence on the sound. So my question is which tube in what position would you guys recommend for a heavy hi-gain sound. I mostly play black and death metal. (The power amp tubes are 6L6 STR-440’s)

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Head

I used these in ALL my Mesa amps. Great tube and a very tight sound.
https://mesaboogie.com/tubes/pre-amp-tubes/SPAX7.html
Old 17th February 2020
Get Mesa tubes otherwise you void the warranty
Old 18th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfPerdition View Post
Hi all,

I own a Mesa Dual Rec. 2 channel and I want to replace the pre-amp tubes. I’ve already heard several times that the pre-amp tubes in a dual rectifier can have quite the influence on the sound. So my question is which tube in what position would you guys recommend for a heavy hi-gain sound. I mostly play black and death metal. (The power amp tubes are 6L6 STR-440’s)

Thanks in advance for the advice!
The ONLY preamp tubes to use in your Boogie are Mesa branded tubes. They are individually tested and selected for use in high gain amps. The first preamp tube is especially critical. Use only a Mesa SPAX7A - they are specifically selected for use in the front end of very high gain amplifiers. Using a standard 12AX7 in that position is asking for problems with thermal noise and microphonic feedback.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 4 weeks ago at 04:48 AM..
Old 18th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice!

Would it be wise/usefull to put SPAX7 in all of the positions or only in V1 and then 12AX7’s in the other 4 positions? The price for the Mesa 12AX7 and SPAX7 are the same apparently, where I want to buy them.
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Head

I replaced every 12ax7 with the spax7. It’s a superior spec’d tube and Mesa’s gain stages are VERY finicky.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfPerdition View Post
Thanks for the advice!

Would it be wise/usefull to put SPAX7 in all of the positions or only in V1 and then 12AX7’s in the other 4 positions? The price for the Mesa 12AX7 and SPAX7 are the same apparently, where I want to buy them.
It wouldn't be UNwise, although you'd be spending money a bit unnecessarily. If you can find SPAx7s for the same price as 12AX7s, and the 12s are not overpriced relative to what Mesa charges there would be no downside. Prices in the Mesa online store are $23.99 for the SPAX7 and $20.99 for the 12AX7. That's a difference of $3, which can add up if you're replacing all of them. Note that the SP does not replace the 12AT7 phase inverter tube.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search