The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacement for a Fender Blues Deville 4 x 10
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

Replacement for a Fender Blues Deville 4 x 10

Hi Chaps,

I have had a Fender Blues Deville for about a decade now. Love the sound. I play in a couple fo bands - one bluesy rock and another more experimental psych rock more tame impala style vibe.

Anyhow - I had a problem with my hearing last year - lost a fair bit in one ear which was a bit of a wake up call to look after myself. I'm thinking that this massively loud amp certainly isnt helping matters! Ive never had the volume knob past 2.5, its probably worth looking at something else..

Can anyone please recommend an amp with similar bassy bluesy tones? Ideally something i can play at lower settings and still sounds good - but also knock up for live?

Ive been reading about Blackstar. wondering if anyone had had a go with them, worth a punt? Or a fender twin?

Any advice would be amazing. Want to help myself with a similar but maybe marginally different sound for some inspiration. Still want those rounded deep bluesy tones though..

Cheers
Paul
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear
Fender Mustang amps (GT100 or GT200) or even the older Mustang III are amps that you should consider. Give them a play.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 17th February 2020 at 12:44 AM..
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear
Deluxe Reverb Reissue. 22 watts is loud enough to play over drums, and the 12" speaker may be less high-end sizzle than your 4x10.

Regardless of what you get, get hearing protection for your ears.
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tips chaps. I'll give the amps a blast.
Also yep - using earplugs in rehearsals for the first time ever taking some getting used to but having lost a little of my hearing I would certainly recommend everyone doing so!

Cheers guys
Paul
Old 17th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Deluxe Reverb Reissue. 22 watts is loud enough to play over drums, and the 12" speaker may be less high-end sizzle than your 4x10.

Regardless of what you get, get hearing protection for your ears.
Yup! Deluxe. I've got an 80's blond tolex that is a tone beast.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

How bout turning the amp you have down to 1.5? Or aiming it away from you a bit... or just using it the way you always have but with ear protection?
Old 18th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablodance View Post
Hi Chaps,

I have had a Fender Blues Deville for about a decade now. Love the sound. I play in a couple fo bands - one bluesy rock and another more experimental psych rock more tame impala style vibe.

Anyhow - I had a problem with my hearing last year - lost a fair bit in one ear which was a bit of a wake up call to look after myself. I'm thinking that this massively loud amp certainly isnt helping matters! Ive never had the volume knob past 2.5, its probably worth looking at something else..

Can anyone please recommend an amp with similar bassy bluesy tones? Ideally something i can play at lower settings and still sounds good - but also knock up for live?

Ive been reading about Blackstar. wondering if anyone had had a go with them, worth a punt? Or a fender twin?

Any advice would be amazing. Want to help myself with a similar but maybe marginally different sound for some inspiration. Still want those rounded deep bluesy tones though..

Cheers
Paul
Blasckstars are poorly designed and cheaply built junk. As an idea of what they think of their own product, if you send one in for warranty service they generally don't bother trying to fix it - they just junk it and send out another. Out of warranty, good luck. And some of their "tube amps" are really hybrids - they use SS devices in key places, like the phase inverter circuit, as well as in the reverb.

Some people do seem to think they sound OK, but those are usually people who don't have a lot of experience and value low price over quality.

If your having ear problems I'd advise that you contact my friend Kathy Peck who runs the H.E.A.R. in San Francisco. Pete Townshend is a charter member. Kathy herself is a former punk rock bassist - I used to work for her band back in the '80s.

https://www.hearnet.com/

EDIT: You probably don't want a Fender Twin. They're great amps (I own one), but they're REALLY LOUD, especially if you want to get a good rock tone out of them. Mine gets used mostly for recording Pedal Steel because they're so clean turned down. Good for jazz, too. They're also heavy as hell, and not in the musical sense.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear
You can always try the Blues Deluxe. Same preamp circuit but only puts out 38 watts at best. Sounds very close to the Blues DeVille.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
You can always try the Blues Deluxe. Same preamp circuit but only puts out 38 watts at best. Sounds very close to the Blues DeVille.
It's too loud for most folks, and the built in overdrive is horrendous. Also same poor build quality. Deluxe Reverb Reissues are better built, 22 watts and sound great.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
If he likes the sound of the Blues Deville, he will probably like the sound of the Blues Deluxe, while the Deluxe Reverb reissue is a quite different amp from either of those. I have a Deluxe Reverb II rated at 22 watts and, with the same speaker, the Blues Deluxe does not sound noticeably louder than the DRII before breakup. It's an overly generous rating of 38 watts as far as I'm concerned.
Old 4th March 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
If he likes the sound of the Blues Deville, he will probably like the sound of the Blues Deluxe, while the Deluxe Reverb reissue is a quite different amp from either of those. I have a Deluxe Reverb II rated at 22 watts and, with the same speaker, the Blues Deluxe does not sound noticeably louder than the DRII before breakup. It's an overly generous rating of 38 watts as far as I'm concerned.
I'd have to disagree - our older guitarist had a Blues Deluxe and it was painfully loud; combined with the incorrect volume pot and it's a hard amp to turn down. It also has the crappy overdrive, PCB-mounted tube sockets, and solid state vs. tube-driven reverb. The Blues series was built to a cost and before the Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I'd rather have one of those any day of the week.

Other question for the OP - where are you practicing/playing? Your hearing loss may be a result of your entire band being too loud and then getting into volume wars... get the drummer to play quieter (learn how to actually play with dynamics, hot rods, smaller diameter sticks) so that everyone else can turn down. Our keyboard player temporarily quit until we got a new drummer that understood dynamics and also volume levels in a practice room.
Old 5th March 2020
Gear Addict

A deluxe is a better amp than any of the hotrod,
Series, in build quality and tone.
It’s laughable than one would say otherwise.
The deluxe reverb has been doing its thing from 1960s in barrooms all over.
The reissue is not bad. The speaker needs some break in time though.
Conversely, pcbs from fenders hot rod type amps pile up in techs benches, due to Burned pcbs, lifted traces, and other issues.
The build quality differences are a known! ask any fender amp tech....just sayin
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search