The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boss FZ2 Hyper Fuzz... substitute software or?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Boss FZ2 Hyper Fuzz... substitute software or?

I have a Boss FZ2 Hyperfuzz and it seems to be damaged. I'm considering repairing it but at the same time I'm wondering about substitutes.

For context: I'm a big fan of the sound that the band "Orgy" had during the Vapor Transmission era. That sound was quite dependent on the Boss FZ2 pedal.

At the same time, I'm moving much more towards "in the box" solutions that render me less dependent upon specific external hardware.

At the same time, a certain company with a... less than stellar reputation for quality and reliability... has a pedal which can apparently serve as a good substitute for the FZ2... and the pedal is shockingly inexpensive as well.

So my alternatives are:

1. Repair the FZ2
2. Buy something like Native Instruments Guitar Rig or some other plugin solution for guitar distortion multi-FX
3. Buy the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz and hope to god it sounds somewhat like the FZ2

Note that I'm using Reason 11 as my DAW, so I can always mangle my guitar with Reason (but I don't think Reason has any distortion sounds akin to the FZ2... if I'm wrong, let me know!).

I'm leaning towards option 2 since that will reduce my overall amount of hardware and save me an extra audio interface input and output (I won't need to have a send-return loop for an external pedal that way). But I want the input of people here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Get the Behringer SF300 - it's cheap and sounds nearly identical to the FZ-2!
I own both and would be happy with either pedal.

You should also consider getting the FZ-2 repaired, because they#re worth quite a bit, these days.

And if you really want to go software, you should look out for a Univox Superfuzz emulation, since that's what the FZ-2 is based on. Analog Obsession have one and it's for free, too!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cochino View Post
Analog Obsession have one and it's for free, too!
Wow! Thanks for mentioning that company! Tried out their JAMP "pedal" (in fact it's a complete amp) so far and it's friggin' damn excellent!
No idea why I've never heard from that company...
On to fooling around with their other offerings, thanks again!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Get the Behringer SF300 - it's cheap and sounds nearly identical to the FZ-2!
I own both and would be happy with either pedal.

You should also consider getting the FZ-2 repaired, because they#re worth quite a bit, these days.

And if you really want to go software, you should look out for a Univox Superfuzz emulation, since that's what the FZ-2 is based on. Analog Obsession have one and it's for free, too!
Thank you. I looked at Analog Obsession's website and couldn't find any plugins. Could you link me?

Do you know any other plugins that give an FZ2-like sound?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudiodeKadent View Post
Thank you. I looked at Analog Obsession's website and couldn't find any plugins. Could you link me?
https://analogobsession.com/

I couldn't find anything that is *not* plugins...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The FZ-2 is not a pedal that is very expensive if you buy it used. I'd definitely replace it. Plugins rarely sound like the real thing
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I owned an original Univox Super Fuzz as a kid and foolishly sold it... Guyatone's TZ2 the Fuzz nails the sound, but currently using a Keeley Electric Mudd, which is more tunable.

Fuzz is really, really hard to get right in a plugin, and the Zupaa doesn't appear to be a Super Fuzz emulator, but more of a Tone Bender (also good, just not the same). I'd get your Boss repaired. Word has is that the Behringer fuzz is next to be rehoused in the TC Electronics pedal line, which would make it sturdier.

Enjoy!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I stand corrected! The Zupaa is indeed a not a Superfuzz emulation - I was just fooled by it's name but haven't actually tried it, yet.

However, a TC Electronic version of the Behringer clone would be great, since I didn't dare bringing it on tour, because of it's plastic housing. If that happens, I'll retire my FZ-2, since it became pretty valuable, lately. Probably, because of Electric Wizard using it and being rather rare for a Boss pedal.

Although, based on the Shin-ei/Univox Superfuzz, the Boss/Behringer sounds more agressive, which might be due to the use of silizium diodes instead of germanium. Plus it features a 2 band EQ, which the original version didn't have.
It's probably the meanest sounding pedal I've ever heard!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Agreed that fuzz is not easily replicated in a plugin. Haven’t tried the new waves plugins but if I was going for this in the box I would try the D-16 saturation boxes and/or the bluecat axiom stuff. Sometimes it’s a matter of stacking distortions ITB to get decent distortion sounds.

Not sure what’s going on with your FZ. You’ve probably tried this, but I’ve had instances with boss pedals where the battery connector failed yet the 9v adapter worked fine.

Haven’t used reason in a long time but as I remember it they did have some good distortion units in there although may not be too fuzzy.
Old 4 days ago
Check out Trash plugin by Izotope - it's fantastic and might be what you are looking for. You can really taylor the distortion into almost anything.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Check out Trash plugin by Izotope - it's fantastic and might be what you are looking for. You can really taylor the distortion into almost anything.
Thank you for that recommendation. It certainly looks like an interesting plugin. And I don't have to be bound by a "just this kind of sound" - if Trash can do almost anything, well that's good enough and I can always find many other ways to torture sounds.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Trash 2 is currently on sale.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/produ...sh2-Expansions
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Wow! Thanks for mentioning that company! Tried out their JAMP "pedal" (in fact it's a complete amp) so far and it's friggin' damn excellent!
No idea why I've never heard from that company...
On to fooling around with their other offerings, thanks again!
Yes, the JAMP is very good! I liked it even better with Airwindows' Guitar Conditioner in front of it, as it tightens up the sound quite nicely.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the JAMP is very good! I liked it even better with Airwindows' Guitar Conditioner in front of it, as it tightens up the sound quite nicely.
Oh, gotta check that out as well (even if I'm pretty much sorted regarding my amp modeling needs). Thanks.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudiodeKadent View Post
Thank you for that recommendation. It certainly looks like an interesting plugin. And I don't have to be bound by a "just this kind of sound" - if Trash can do almost anything, well that's good enough and I can always find many other ways to torture sounds.
I've owned Trash since launch. great plug-in and better on drums, acoustic guitar, etc. than just guitars. It does not do fuzz, and this goes for Trash and Trash 2.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search