The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Seeking dadcore pedal, help
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Seeking dadcore pedal, help

It’s that time. Transparent OD question time.

So I want a pedal that pushes the amp, can do its own light or light-medium drive, but otherwise colours the sound as little as possible.

It must be responsive to pick, pickups and volume knob, blah blah.

As flat EQ-wise as can be reasonably expected.

Waah, I don’t want mah pedal to sound like anything!!

I know. But what you got for me?
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

You just described an original Klon. It's the most transparent I ever played, virtually identical to the amp. Not sure what your budget is, but its a great pedal. I've heard there are some really good clones which are transparent, like the Tumnus I think its called, but never played one.

I also highly recommend BK Butler's Tube Driver, esp. with a vintage tube in it. It has an amazing EQ which can be made very transparent (or not). It's a chameleon pedal that can be made to sound like almost any other overdrive ever made, but better because of the tube. I retired all other OD pedals.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Nut

I have a Tumnus deluxe. It's great. I like it. You can get it to be 'transparent' but there's 3 EQ bands that can really colour the sound quite substantially. Plus a buffer in/out button and a 'hot' switch for when you want to hit 11.

Obviously works with amps but you can use it in front of an audio interface to drive an amp sim and guess what? It sounds great that way too.

Recommended - but be aware it'll run on a battery for a maximum of about 7 seconds...
Old 14th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
It’s that time. Transparent OD question time.

So I want a pedal that pushes the amp, can do its own light or light-medium drive, but otherwise colours the sound as little as possible.

It must be responsive to pick, pickups and volume knob, blah blah.

As flat EQ-wise as can be reasonably expected.

Waah, I don’t want mah pedal to sound like anything!!

I know. But what you got for me?
Xotic AC Booster - it's perfect for that - It has no major built in EQ adjustments - very transparent - you can adjust treble or bass on it, but it's the flattest overdrive I've used - I use it with Lonestar Special amp and it sounds awesome at any setting. A lot of pros use it on their boards. Oz Noy. Paul Gilbert, Marcus Miller( bass player) etc.

Great value. Not pricey.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear
You will get a lot better answers if you give more details...
  1. What amp do you have, and what guitar(s)?
  2. Do you have other pedals already?
  3. Musical styles?
  4. Budget?
Old 17th February 2020
Uh, What is "dadcore"?
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

A silly term for that time when hard rock and all that distorted hardcore nonsense no longer seems so cool, or you just can’t pull it off any more, so you turn to transparent overdrive, a clean amp, and probably a preference for minimalist licks.

More to the point, no idea. Just a word I came across recently, and there is my interpretation. Enjoy!
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Uh, What is "dadcore"?
Took the words right out of my mouth, John!
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
A silly term for that time when hard rock and all that distorted hardcore nonsense no longer seems so cool, or you just can’t pull it off any more, so you turn to transparent overdrive, a clean amp, and probably a preference for minimalist licks.

More to the point, no idea. Just a word I came across recently, and there is my interpretation. Enjoy!
Oh, ok - probably my kinda thing, then.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

Dadcore is I, IV, V, (relative minor if you're lucky) pentatonic solos, obsessively traditional gear and not being able to do sit ups.
Old 18th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash View Post
Dadcore is I, IV, V, (relative minor if you're lucky) pentatonic solos, obsessively traditional gear and not being able to do sit ups.
Oh, you mean real rock and roll, not "hyphenated-rock".

And you're wrong about the pentatonic bit - that's a stereotype spread by metalheads. There's plenty of traditional rock that uses major scale, especially that related to country and advanced rockabilly. (A lot of early rockabilly guitar has a heavy trad jazz influence.)
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Oh, you mean real rock and roll, not "hyphenated-rock".

And you're wrong about the pentatonic bit - that's a stereotype spread by metalheads. There's plenty of traditional rock that uses major scale, especially that related to country and advanced rockabilly. (A lot of early rockabilly guitar has a heavy trad jazz influence.)
How about the sit ups?
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

The Forza was designed as an overdrive pedal with a flat EQ profile. It does have a 3 band active EQ if you need it, but it boosts equally.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear
again, until we know what amp Pimcore has, suggestions are moot as we don't know if he has a Deluxe Reverb or a Tiny Terror...
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash View Post
ah - thought dadcore was Penthouse..
Old 20th February 2020
My lead guitarist has a LOT of pedals. Does that make them "granddad core"?
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

As a dad core fan, I'm good with any overdrive as long as its green. One of my favs is the one by MXR.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uh, What is "dadcore"?
There is nothing worse than asking somebody to explain a joke.
Old 27th February 2020
RiF
Lives for gear

EHX Soul Food (Klon'ish)
Fulltone OCD (moah gain possible)
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

I pray for my teeanger kid to never come home and tell me he just started a "dadcore" band with his friends
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
I pray for my teeanger kid to never come home and tell me he just started a "dadcore" band with his friends
And your kid is praying he never hears that from you.
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And your kid is praying he never hears that from you.
Well, yesterday my wife told me the shorts I was wearing were "dad shorts" so it might be one step in that direction.
Old 29th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
Well, yesterday my wife told me the shorts I was wearing were "dad shorts" so it might be one step in that direction.
You wear shorts?
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You wear shorts?
I live in the Caribbean so I sure do (moved from Tahoe and the Bay Area)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search