The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nashville Hot Shot Guitarists
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Nut

Nashville Hot Shot Guitarists

Hello All,

I'm looking for suggestions for some of the best Nashville guitarists to add to my iTunes list. Just want totally NASTY, virtuoso, blistering speed, non-stop awesomeness, great phrasing, fantastic tone, etc. I'm looking for Country Music's answer to Gutherie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Allan Holdsworth, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc. Please, and thank you.
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

Andy wood
Old 12th February 2020
The guy everyone currently copies is Brent Mason - his album Hotwired is amazing. He is THE guy.

I would also suggest you look into Johnny Hiland - he's also a virtuoso. Greg Koch is a blues and country player - but probably one of the best around today. I'd throw in Daniel Donato as well, though I don't particularly like his style, which I find a bit too soft - but his certainly one of the more popular new players.

If should also check out bluegrass for virtuoso- Tony Rice is a must - check out his album Acoustics, which is more minor, or any of his instrumentals - he's insane - just an absolute monster of a soloist.
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
The guy everyone currently copies is Brent Mason - his album Hotwired is amazing. He is THE guy.

I would also suggest you look into Johnny Hiland - he's also a virtuoso. Greg Koch is a blues and country player - but probably one of the best around today. I'd throw in Daniel Donato as well, though I don't particularly like his style, which I find a bit too soft - but his certainly one of the more popular new players.

If should also check out bluegrass for virtuoso- Tony Rice is a must - check out his album Acoustics, which is more minor, or any of his instrumentals - he's insane - just an absolute monster of a soloist.
Big fan of Greg Koch and Hiland as well.

Brent mason is such a legend he almost goes without saying.

Some other guys that come to mind are Carl Miner and Guthrie Trapp. Although Carl’s more of a session guy.
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Head

Emil Werstler
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Johnny Hiland maybe Brad Paisley ??
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Tom Bukovac has been one of the main session guys for quite some time.

I just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62l3AgIaPg - covers his rig

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZf4fNZNZTo

Last edited by PdotDdot; 13th February 2020 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Add link....
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

As for flatpicking - David Grier is arguably the best of them all. My favorite is Russ Barenberg. They all pretty much acknowledge that Grier is out there in the stratosphere.

Also might want to check out James Burton and Albert Lee for the chicken picken stuff. Vince Gill as well.
Old 14th February 2020
js1
Lives for gear

I gotta put Redd Volkert out there. Though he is Austin based (maybe was... rumors he's moving/moved), he is one of the top country players out there, as acknowledged by his peers (i.e. Brent Mason, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, etc...).

A small Western Swing sample:

Country skill is really different than the heavy rock virtuosity. It, first and foremost has to serve the song, so a LOT more melody. Tone is clean, with nowhere to hide poor technique. The shredding skill is there, but it's held in reserve. Also, listen to the rhythm comping...

Here, he's playing the Saturday country dance at the Continental Club in Austin. I made it there once on a trip to Austin. Jaw on the floor good. Cindy Cashdollar (steel player) wasn't there that day, but I did see her with Albert Lee a few weeks later. Also jaw on the floor good.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Man this thread is the real stuff.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Guru

A couple stylistic outliers you might find interesting:

Jamie Olander -- amazing at weaving in and out of a vocal, incredible B-Bender work.

And Steuart Smith in his "power pop" period. Check out the solo at around 1:55.

Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
A couple stylistic outliers you might find interesting:

Jamie Olander -- amazing at weaving in and out of a vocal, incredible B-Bender work.

And Steuart Smith in his "power pop" period. Check out the solo at around 1:55.

Yeah, Steuart Smith is one tasty mo-fo. He was one of the top session guys in Nashville until the Eagles landed him. I am guessing he still does session work though when not on the road. His solo on Winona's "I Saw The Light" is an exceptionally tasty one and of course for those that are interested, he can shred or at least the country version of shredding.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear
Listen to Brad Paisley's "Cluster Pluck" and then listen to all of the guitarists on the song, including James Burton, Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Redd Volkaert, Steve Wariner, John Jorgeson, Albert Lee... John Jorgeson's Hellecasters might also be a good place to listen.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Listen to Brad Paisley's "Cluster Pluck" and then listen to all of the guitarists on the song, including James Burton, Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Redd Volkaert, Steve Wariner, John Jorgeson, Albert Lee... John Jorgeson's Hellecasters might also be a good place to listen.
Keith Urban can go there when he wants to so add him as well. Guthrie Trapp for sure. All of the above kind of define the genre. Type "Truetone Lounge" on YouTube and you'll find a lot amazing studio and sideman Nashville greats.
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

ns
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Brent Mason
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post

ns
Finally, someone else on this forum that knows about Scotty. I still believe he has to be the best guitarist ever just in terms of technical ability because to my knowledge no other guitar player has ever figured out how to play three part harmonies at the same time. He is not someone I choose to listen to but he is simply mind boggling as far as the use of his right hand technique.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

ns
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post

ns
Wow - Nightscope - thanks for posting this. I have a friend who has taken a lesson with Scotty - that is how I learned that he stacks his fingers and plays three part harmony lines but I of course had never seen it being done. This was very cool. Thanks for finding this and sharing!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search