The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why did you pick up guitar?
Old 8th February 2020
Why did you pick up guitar?

Simple as that really. What inspired you?
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

I wanted to be in a band.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

There probably aren't many here that can relate to what triggered me 'cuz I'm so old it was initially the very Birth of Rock 'n Roll. In the late 50s I was intrigued by how some guitars could sound both pretty and dangerous at the same time, especially the intro to The Bell Notes "I've Had it" and the entire Buddy Holly tune "That'll Be The Day". A friend of mine I met from flying gas powered model airplanes had a band and I asked him to tech me those two tunes. He did and I liked it, even the struggle which surprised me that it was so hard just to make a clean note, but he moved away in just a few months (his Dad was Military) and I had no access to guitars. On top of that Rock 'n Roll went soft and no longer moved me so in a few years I gravitated to the burgeoning Folk movement but mostly from vocals... until Bob Dylan.

That did it. I saved up and bought a Sears Silvertone Classical guitar and told myself I had a month to learn 3 full songs to my satisfaction or I'd give the guitar to my brother. I did give it to him but a year later because I discovered Blues listening to Soul stations late at night and I just had to have an electric. It was on the way but still going quite slow until I heard Love do "Seven and Seven Is" and "My Little Red Book"... and then I heard Hendrix and the slow burn became a wildfire. My life changed forever.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac

seemed like a good way to meet fat women
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Simple as that really. What inspired you?
Women. Quantity and easy accessibility.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Dick Dale

The King of Surf Guitar.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

1. I couldn't sing
2. It looked fvcking cool
3. What - I should play the bass? No... ewwww
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

I thought pretty much everyone did it to get girls.

Fat ones, thin ones, older ones, younger ones.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear
In the late 90's Warner Brothers told me "You can't be on the radio unless you have some guitar".

But it was okay because I had a sampler (Emax II), You can be a dismal guitarist and sound awesome using one. And a year later I was on the radio across the country.

Old 8th February 2020
Gear Nut

Heard "She Loves You" and that was that. Of the three other lads who liked the Beatles at school I was the only one who couldn't play guitar but could sing - so I obviously I chose rhythm guitar as it was easiest to play whilst singing and let the other two argue it out over who was going to play lead and bass.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd5412 View Post
seemed like a good way to meet fat women
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac

I kept thinking back to this. I remember buying the album when it came out. I thought. later on in life when I get the time I'll take up learning the guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5fQXVZGug
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

John, Paul, George and Ringo.
Old 9th February 2020
My old man played and Eddie Van Halen was hitting his stride.
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

I was twelve and bought Def Leppard’s Pyromania. And then I immediately bought my first guitar.
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
John, Paul, George and Ringo.
Is right. Four greatest reasons right there, lad.
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

We had a kids tennis racket at home. It's only purpose was it being a tool to mimick guitar playing. No tennis courts around and the thing didn't do well as a drumset or a keyboard. So guitar mimicking it was. And still is.
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Jimi Hendrix' All Along the Watchtower.

Nothing has surpassed it ever since, maybe one but I'm not telling. It's a secret.

I listen to so much stuff, but yeah.. Jimi. It's his ear for melody, and the subtle nuances.
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

I am surprised nobody said Rumble!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4&frags=pl%2Cwn>
Check the comments. Me, I don't play, I listen.
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear
My father was stationed [Navy] in Key West at the early '60s. One of his drinking buddies taught me how to play (Ghost) Riders in the Sky, then The House of the Rising Sun. . .on a cheapo guitar they had bought me. I went on to pick up tunes like Wipe Out, Secret Agent Man, and what all else might appeal to an adolescent boy - exposed to numerous genres.

Why? I was a boy.

The first quality instrument I got - late '60s - was a Yamaha GC3 classical, and then within a couple more years, a Yamaha Les Paul copy with a Fender amp. The previous cheapo guitar had set a foundation of experience to build on, but the move to quality instruments opened the doors to a qualitatively different relationship with guitar and with music.

So I picked up guitar as a high-school teenager in a much more serious way. . .after I had already picked it up as a child.

Why? I wanted my life to be about music.

After working as a pro guitarist and musician for a couple decades, I left music for a couple more decades. In recent years, I'm picking up guitar and music again.

Why, this time? I love guitar. I love music. And I hope to leave something of value [music compositions] behind.

I never cared anything much about fame or entertaining others. I just loved and believed in music.

Ray H.
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
My father was stationed [Navy] in Key West at the early '60s. One of his drinking buddies taught me how to play (Ghost) Riders in the Sky, then The House of the Rising Sun. . .on a cheapo guitar they had bought me. I went on to pick up tunes like Wipe Out, Secret Agent Man, and what all else might appeal to an adolescent boy - exposed to numerous genres.

Why? I was a boy.

The first quality instrument I got - late '60s - was a Yamaha GC3 classical, and then within a couple more years, a Yamaha Les Paul copy with a Fender amp. The previous cheapo guitar had set a foundation of experience to build on, but the move to quality instruments opened the doors to a qualitatively different relationship with guitar and with music.

So I picked up guitar as a high-school teenager in a much more serious way. . .after I had already picked it up as a child.

Why? I wanted my life to be about music.

After working as a pro guitarist and musician for a couple decades, I left music for a couple more decades. In recent years, I'm picking up guitar and music again.

Why, this time? I love guitar. I love music. And I hope to leave something of value [music compositions] behind.

I never cared anything much about fame or entertaining others. I just loved and believed in music.

Ray H.
Ray, that is a beautiful story. Thanks!
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash View Post
Is right. Four greatest reasons right there, lad.
Indeed!

Of course the women were a bonus incentive but for me it really was all abut the Beatles and it still is. Best music my ears have ever heard. There is a ton of great music from Back to Miles and all over the map but the Beatles for me were and always will be by far the best of the best.

I'm going to be 63 in less than a month and I realize time to listen to the Beatles is running out. I have to spend more time listening and enjoying their music and less time on other less meaningful stuff.

Note to self......! :-)
Old 9th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
Jimi Hendrix' All Along the Watchtower.

Nothing has surpassed it ever since, maybe one but I'm not telling. It's a secret.

I listen to so much stuff, but yeah.. Jimi. It's his ear for melody, and the subtle nuances.
Even Dylan said that’s the definitive version
Old 9th February 2020
I wanted to improve mah chances with females, that never worked out but I got f##king good on guitar, what inspired me the most was a VHS tape I had of hendrix at woodstock and another VHS of 'the song remains the same' by led zep, that and seeing aerosmith/lenny kravitz live at wembley, real gigs have probably inspired me more than anything else so I try and go to as many as I can.
Old 9th February 2020
Why did I pick up the guitar?

WELL, probably because it was really difficult to learn to play it still in the case.....

Why did I want to?

Because I'd always wanted to, since I was a little kid on a tricycle listening to the early rock and roll/rockabilly playing on the neighborhood teenagers' car radios.

My parents got me a couple of guitars that were essentially toys and tourist wall ornaments until I was a bit older and they shipped me off to summer camp and one of the counselors had a guitar and led us singing Kingston Trio songs around the campfire. When I got home I was really insistent about getting something to learn on, and since it was folk music they figured it would be OK.

A lot they knew!
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

Cos its cool af
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Maniac
I watched this (mimed) performance:

https://youtu.be/AoCh4XOynGY

And bought an Avon Les Paul copy for £20 from a guy from school the next day...
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
We had a kids tennis racket at home. It's only purpose was it being a tool to mimick guitar playing. No tennis courts around and the thing didn't do well as a drumset or a keyboard. So guitar mimicking it was. And still is.

Ha ha - me too! I loved Deep Purple and Zeppelin, and spent my time playing air (well, tennis racket) guitar to their records. Came my birthday and I was given some money. Walking through Gloucester (my home town then), saw some kind of Strat copy hanging up in a second-hand shop for £10 (43 years ago). I thought to myself, even if I never learn to play it, it'll look better than the tennis racket, but fortunately, I had enough money left over for a copy of Bert Weedon's 'Play in a Day'.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

When I look back there were multiple reasons.

My mom and sister played.

Watching Roy Clark on hee haw as a kid.

We moved a lot and I was a lonely kid.

Hendrix, and all the crazy awesome 60s-80s music my dad listened to all the time.

Steve Clark’s death. I was only like 10 but Def Leppard was the coolest sounding **** I’d ever heard in my life. I still remember hearing the news on the radio.

And then one day I saw a band called Living Colour on MTV and that pretty much sealed the deal. It still took forever to get a guitar though because my dad was really kind of an asshat but I ended up selling a bunch of old clothes at a consignement shop and getting my mom to buy me one.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search