The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setting up stereo amps
Old 22nd January 2020
Here for the gear

Setting up stereo amps

Hey guys. So I got a 2nd amp and I would like to try some stereo (My reverb and tremolo pedals are stereo). What is the best and or easiest way to do this?

Do I route the whole signal through one amp preamp, send it to the effects via the effect loop and then a) back into that amp on Left and then b) into the power amp in of the other amp on right?

I am using a Fender Supersonic 60 and an EVH 5150 iii 50. Both have effects loops and power amp ins.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

I just plug the guitar into the stereo effect, and then L and R outputs of the effect to the two amps.
Old 22nd January 2020

Personally, I like to split the signal and run a dry/wet set-up with one amp that stays focused.

Also, if you run the tremolo on the wet amp, you still get a stereo effect.....

If I were you, I'd try running tremolo as the split. Then run through the reverb to the SS60 set for clean. The 5150 would get fed from the other side of the trem with as much crunch as you like. No need to mess with effects loops.

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since I prefer my pups "see" a tube next in chain, I do wet/dry at the FX Loop. I choose which preamp has the capabilities I prefer and just "Y" cable out of it's FX Send or mono to a stereo effect. Either way then my signal is split and both FX Returns have signal... good to go.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advise guys! I have it running now and it sounds sweet!!

I am running everything on AMP1 (the EVH) in the typical 4-wire configuration (drive in fromt of the preamp and time-based pedals in the FX loop).

I am then taking the stereo out of my tremolo pedal and running this into the FX receive on AMP2 (Fender supersonic). There was a bit of ground loop hum initially, so I inserted a radial reamp box in between the pedal and the FX receive and the hum is gone.

One of the really cool features of the Supersonic is that is has level controls for both FX send (not used in this case) and FX receive. I dialed in the FX receive level to be unity volume when compared to the EVH amp/cab. Then when I change volume on the EVH amp, the supersonic amp goes up and down (still unity) as well.

Now i need to get some stereo delay and reverb!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search