The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amp Advice! Fender vs Music Man
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Amp Advice! Fender vs Music Man

Hello, this is my first post here!

I have the opportunity to get either an original Fender Blues Deville 4x10 OR a Music Man One Hundred 112RD for $450. I can choose either one at that price. The Music Man is much rarer, obviously, but the 4x10 could be a much nicer bet.

The MM has a JBL 12" speaker in it, and it sounds fantastic with that upgrade. I'm not sure what other upgrades have been done to it over the years, but it does sound great.

Obviously, the Fender Blues Deville sounds exactly like a Fender Blues Deville, so I'm loving that tone as well.

So, please, if you have an answer, let me know what you think! Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

get the fender. its a sure bet. (i am biased as I use fender amps and nothing else)
Old 4 weeks ago
DO NOT get the "Fender".

It is not a real Fender circuit, it is very poorly built and the circuit is not 100% tube. No, Musicman isn't either, but they never lied about being hybrid. And the design is excellent, probably one of the best hybrid designs ever built.

The Musicman is a great, well built amp that will last you for decades with little or no problems. The DeVille would be lucky to last you 10 years ()from brand new), and is very poorly designed and is built like crap so that it will probably cost you more than it's worth to get it serviced.

The JBLs alone are worth $300-$400.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
get the fender. its a sure bet. (i am biased as I use fender amps and nothing else)
I've been a Fender amp tech since 1972.

DeVilles are cheaply made junk. They're not real Fenders.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
They sound better than real fenders especially the silver face ones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glogandr View Post
Hello, this is my first post here!

I have the opportunity to get either an original Fender Blues Deville 4x10 OR a Music Man One Hundred 112RD for $450. I can choose either one at that price. The Music Man is much rarer, obviously, but the 4x10 could be a much nicer bet.

The MM has a JBL 12" speaker in it, and it sounds fantastic with that upgrade. I'm not sure what other upgrades have been done to it over the years, but it does sound great.

Obviously, the Fender Blues Deville sounds exactly like a Fender Blues Deville, so I'm loving that tone as well.

So, please, if you have an answer, let me know what you think! Thanks!
The music man is a great amp, very smooth. Fenders are harsh
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Music Man is the much better amp of the two.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been a Fender amp tech since 1972.

I did not know that. Just curious, what should one look for in the amp (perhaps the parts or the printed text on the parts) to tell if its a better or poorer model. Is the Vibro King better quality?

My practice amp is a Excelsior Pro. It sounds fine and exactly as I expect it to sound for the type of amp it is. Whats the consensus of that model. I think its discontinued now but replaced by a different one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
If you are referring to a Fender amp before '74, I would disagree. I have the "collectable" Musicman amps, as well as loads of BF and some SF Fender amps. Musicman is ok sounding, and decent build. In studio comparisons, clients choose a fender amp 100% of the time. Later SF fender amps (some of my friends have late 70s-early 80s fender amps) are different beasts and would not be my choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
Modern fenders? Yes they are junk. But Music man amps are an acquired taste, and are not a clear-cut choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Yeah, it is. Very nice amp. Deville is the lesser amp of the two, clearly.

Personally, I can't use Deville at all, but that's me. Some people like 'em. Not that I think it's junk, but the only amp in that series I think sounds good at all is Blues Jr.

The 112RD usually goes for a little more than that. If it's in good shape, that's a solid deal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
If you are referring to a Fender amp before '74, I would disagree. I have the "collectable" Musicman amps, as well as loads of BF and some SF Fender amps. Musicman is ok sounding, and decent build. In studio comparisons, clients choose a fender amp 100% of the time. Later SF fender amps (some of my friends have late 70s-early 80s fender amps) are different beasts and would not be my choice.
Yuri, I was being sarcastic. Although the 70s/80s Musicmans are fine amps
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The MM 112RD I have has the EV speaker. I agree it's an acquired taste, it's not a Fender. He's talking about one with a JBL in it. Is that the model you guys are thinking of/familiar with? That would make a big difference in sound from the EV, maybe more ice picky.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Not even close. Unless by "better" you mean fizzy, grainy distortion.

You can't generalize about the SF amps. There was considerable "development" of the design throughout the history of the SF style, with power ranging from 88 to 140 watts and radical changes in transformer design. The first SF amps were identical to BF amps. The last ones, the 140 watt Ultralinear amps were mostly good for pedal steel, Rhodes, and some jazz. They didn't work well for rock unless you wanted to be REALLY loud.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The music man is a great amp, very smooth. Fenders are harsh
Either you need to get your Fenders serviced by somebody who actually knows what he's doing or you need an audiologist.

Fenders did come from the factory biased cold for maximum power with minimal distortion, but any competent tech can reset the bias to warm it up. The later ones with the hum balance instead of the bias control need a minor circuit revision.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
If you mostly play clean or use pedals for distortion the Music Man is great. But you can't really overdrive the SS front end like you can an original Fender tube amp - opamps don't distort the same way.

Also, not all MM amps are the same - the earliest ones used a tube phase inverter stage, the later ones didn't.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanzer View Post
The MM 112RD I have has the EV speaker. I agree it's an acquired taste, it's not a Fender. He's talking about one with a JBL in it. Is that the model you guys are thinking of/familiar with? That would make a big difference in sound from the EV, maybe more ice picky.
You can get rid of the JBL icepick by having the aluminum dust cap replaced with paper, as used in the JBL Pro Audio series. Should cost about 20 bucks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think I would be inclined to get whichever I thought the local market would best support a trade up to a Marshall [my favorite] somewhere in the future.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had a Music Man years ago and to this day it is the best amp I ever owned.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i noticed over the years how many very good older guitarists, and session musos use the small Music Mann 2 x 10 amps.

i asked a few why they used that particular amp, and often they said the size and weight, verses the sound was good.

good for gigs and carting around was a common reply. also being tube soundwise they are great.

i would look for a 2x10 Music Mann if you can find one over a single 12.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I know next to nothing about Music Man amps but a lot of my friends use them. Are they always hybrid tube + solid state or just this particular model OP is considering?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can get rid of the JBL icepick by having the aluminum dust cap replaced with paper, as used in the JBL Pro Audio series. Should cost about 20 bucks.
This is the sort of knowledge that needs listing. The amp world needs you to write a list up of the amps you know and their needs/foibles for improvement. I realise it might be extensive and take some time but what a resource it could be.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
i noticed over the years how many very good older guitarists, and session musos use the small Music Mann 2 x 10 amps.

i asked a few why they used that particular amp, and often they said the size and weight, verses the sound was good.

good for gigs and carting around was a common reply. also being tube soundwise they are great.

i would look for a 2x10 Music Mann if you can find one over a single 12.

Buddha
No Musicman amp is tube. They are all hybrid, SS front end, tube power amp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
I know next to nothing about Music Man amps but a lot of my friends use them. Are they always hybrid tube + solid state or just this particular model OP is considering?
All hybrid. Early ones had a tube phase inverter, in later versions the PI was solid state. I prefer the earlier, myself. Easier to get a good overdrive with the tube PI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
This is the sort of knowledge that needs listing. The amp world needs you to write a list up of the amps you know and their needs/foibles for improvement. I realise it might be extensive and take some time but what a resource it could be.
That's why I continue to post here, in spite of all the crap.

And thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not even close. Unless by "better" you mean fizzy, grainy distortion.
subjective shill as always John
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Baddstein View Post
That's one thing we can agree on. NOS or even OOS or anything with the word 'old' in it always sounds better than modern. I can't even play a Les Paul made after 1970 - they all have that 2D sound that comes from new wood and modern glue. If I'm going to drive my band, rhythmically, I need a vintage sound that you just can't get from anything other than a properly relic'd '59 Custom Shop reissue. The 3D on that thing is off the charts - and I'm not talking about my cholesterol.
Hey, where is the real Jimmy Vintagestein?!! You are an imposter
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
That's why I continue to post here, in spite of all the crap.

And thanks!
aren't we all here because of the crap?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search