The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Defines a Great Guitarist?
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Personally, I prefer guitarists who play to the band and the song, not the audience, and who simply stand and deliver, but that is not what makes one rich and famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 2182258 View Post
It does make one a crushingly dull and ultimately pointless performer though. If you're playing concerts and not playing to the audience, you're doing it wrong. Playing to an audience is precisely what concerts are for.
Well, we disagree. If a musician plays to the song and the band but also primarily to please himself he will tend to "get off" and that excitement you feel will get the audience off. The audience comes for the spectacle of passion, IMHO of course. ... but then I suppose some people actually were entertained by the likes of Warrant doing choreographed unison dance steps for Glam Metal, so what do I know?.
Old 15th April 2020
Deleted 714de1f
Quote:
..but then I suppose some people actually were entertained by the likes of Warrant doing choreographed unison dance steps for Glam Metal, so what do I know?.
How a straw man broke a camel's back?
Old 15th April 2020
Deleted 714de1f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabovic Adis View Post
If the sheet says dull you play dull, if it says interesting you play interesting. Play falsch and you're gonna get yourself fired.
What are you, some wannabee composer? I mean jazzer? That's how jazzers came to be - they all got fired.
so classical musicians are even more snobby than jazz musicians... there's a definite pecking order emerging ... meanwhile the clueless get the girls (or boys, or moths) and the money
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 714de1f View Post
so classical musicians are even more snobby than jazz musicians... there's a definite pecking order emerging ... meanwhile the clueless get the girls (or boys, or moths) and the money
Fired girls. And fired money. Because clueless.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear
What defines a great guitarist?

She really knows the tunes. And she gives you a clear video with fingerings so you don't ever have to learn how to read music.

Enjoy the link, you slackers!

Ray H.

Old 26th May 2020
Gear Nut

Meh, sits wrong, holds the guitar wrong. Other than that she's real ok...although, I'd rather be fingered by her:

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

In reality the question is as unanswerable as "what defines a great car"?

For some it will be an absurdly fast super sports car, for others it will be a durable 4 wheeler - and others again will have totally different opinions - and neither is wrong.

This last part, "neither is wrong" is what the music snobs, who in this thread shamelessly expose their prejudice, don't really seem to be able to understand.

Good troll topic though
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
In reality the question is as unanswerable as "what defines a great car"?

For some it will be an absurdly fast super sports car, for others it will be a durable 4 wheeler - and others again will have totally different opinions - and neither is wrong.

This last part, "neither is wrong" is what the music snobs, who in this thread shamelessly expose their prejudice, don't really seem to be able to understand.

Good troll topic though
The layman speaks.

Not so long ago we weren't able to define whether force is devil's or night's or heaven's or might's or...then Newton came along! Not Yoda. Yoda was a hoax, just like grumphh...
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The layman speaks.

Not so long ago we weren't able to define whether force is devil's or night's or heaven's or might's or...then Newton came along! Not Yoda. Yoda was a hoax, just like grumphh...
I love Science. I read tech manuals for pleasure. Nevertheless there are areas where cold logic and function are not only superfluous but counterproductive. If one can't recognize such borders, one is relegated to the role of a metronome. Here's a (likely NSFW) example that is analogous to the concept of turning all guitar into "military music"

Old 27th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I love Science. I read tech manuals for pleasure. Nevertheless there are areas where cold logic and function are not only superfluous but counterproductive. If one can't recognize such borders, one is relegated to the role of a metronome. Here's a (likely NSFW) example that is analogous to the concept of turning all guitar into "military music"

There's a difference between prostitute and slut: prostitute knows exactly what she's doing.
Slut's just clueless...
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's a difference between prostitute and slut: prostitute knows exactly what she's doing.
Slut's just clueless...
Not quite... since to be objectively scientific, that differentiation is subjective based on how much one respectively values pleasure or money and various other side issues. It's sort of like the difference between a slut and a bitch. A slut fornicates with everyone and a bitch fornicates with everyone except you.
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not quite... since to be objectively scientific, that differentiation is subjective based on how much one respectively values pleasure or money and various other side issues. It's sort of like the difference between a slut and a bitch. A slut fornicates with everyone and a bitch fornicates with everyone except you.
Well, a prostitute as an profession. Just like a guitarist.
And I pay my bitches...make'em classy.
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Old 6th June 2020
Lives for gear

I don't know. . .

. . .being raised by Gypsies?

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well you could practice alternate picking, tremolo picking, bending, pick scraping, hammer-on/pull-offs, legato, slides, double stops, double stop bends, pinch harmonics, mystical harmonics, palm muting, tapping, pre-bends, leaving space, dive bombs, whammy glissando, sweep picking, string skipping, sweep tapping, ghost notes, tapped harmonics, with your teeth, gallop tapping, volume swells, finger picking, hybrid picking, the guitar hero, with a slide - and then try to apply all of that in one solo?

or just be especially particular with Agustin Barrios Mangore "Part 2: Lesson 11", from "El Libro de Oro", Vol. 1: "The Barrios Method".

Ian Watt?

Music is Win, whatever that means,

Ray H.

Thumbs up to @ mattpyter below for the humor. . .but I’ve known money guys who could play beyond what looked to be their face value. I agree about the pinky - needs work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Augustins pinky notes are bombastically too quiet.

If something is so quiet it is loud, it might be a bad example.

Or maybe a stock trader dressed up to play a guitar might not have been the best example to use.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I define a great guitarist as, not just the everyday man in the street who already knows he doesn’t live the best possible life, but is afraid to say so. is full of illusions about his country. who thinks it’s a good country no matter how much evil it does. worse than an illusion, that’s a pathological state to be in. not to able to recognise the difference between good and bad. who thinks that bad is only something that can be committed by his enemies when they oppose him. whatever he does, no matter how inhuman and how beastial, this is the most disastrous of illusions.

these are not great guitarists. they are the worst kind of guitarists.

Sabovic Adisis a great example. for example
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I define a great guitarist as, not just the everyday man in the street who already knows he doesn’t live the best possible life, but is afraid to say so. is full of illusions about his country. who thinks it’s a good country no matter how much evil it does. worse than an illusion, that’s a pathological state to be in. not to able to recognise the difference between good and bad. who thinks that bad is only something that can be committed by his enemies when they oppose him. whatever he does, no matter how inhuman and how beastial, this is the most disastrous of illusions.

What?!?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Humor.
Serious is boring
Pepe Romero and Eddie Van Halen for starters.
Jimi is funny with his humping and chewing gum and can of butane.
Pixies hilarious.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Humor.
Serious is boring
Pepe Romero and Eddie Van Halen for starters.
Jimi is funny with his humping and chewing gum and can of butane.
Pixies hilarious.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post

Since I can't distinguish between good and bad, I have to ask: is this you being good or bad to me?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear